Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-11, 09:29 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default XP3 905 Micro flippin rod.

Now this was a fun challenge!...7'6'' Heavy/Moderate action micro flipping rod perfectly balanced with a 8.5'' handle!!....3.5oz Batson balancing butt with removable weight, Hypalon grips with a 2.5'' forgrip (paaaaain to shape..Like shaping a tire)

Got to use Kigan micro guides on this...I really like them them so far.No fancy spade foot,taller leg for locking wrap and a beefier frame.

The client had very specific specs for this rod including the hook keeper the be on the right side and 3'' away from the forgrip..To keep away from his hand and line...

With a three different weighted reels on this rod,it balances right behind the reel seat hood with a floating tip..Ill take it!!

Old 09-26-11, 09:34 PM   #2
Jrob78

Looks great man! I love the way the thin, red bands look above the checks! Very clean and classy! BTW, on the right hand side at 90 degrees, above the seat is where i've been putting my keepers too, seems to work really well.
Old 09-26-11, 10:13 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sweet looking build joe!! Surprised he went with such a short handle on a flippin stick!
Old 09-26-11, 10:19 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Off the chain Pancake. I really like the red and gray color combo. What make is that red thread?
Old 09-26-11, 10:34 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Hey thanks guys!! Joe I also like the red trim around the handle.although it was nerve racking trying to get a clean finish on it!! Haha! That red bubba is the PAC bay cherry red.Again the consistency is a little misleading in the dye after cp.But once the finish is on it evens out pretty good.Still weary about their thread though.Sammy the short handle was due to how he holds the rod which is strictly by the forgrip and no palming the reel.
Old 09-26-11, 11:16 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Man Walker that thing is beautiful. You guys are setting the bar pretty hard for newbies like myself. I am really looking foward to doing a micro rod myself.
Old 09-27-11, 08:21 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

What size weight did you have to use for the balance? I had to use the 5oz when I built one for a guy, but the reel seat was at 13" and it was an 8' rod. Those weight systems aren't cheap either hahahahaha?
Old 09-27-11, 08:31 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That looks great as always Walker!

8.5" handle is just crazy on a flippin' stick.

BB
Old 09-27-11, 10:28 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
What size weight did you have to use for the balance? I had to use the 5oz when I built one for a guy, but the reel seat was at 13" and it was an 8' rod. Those weight systems aren't cheap either hahahahaha?

Yea man thats a pricey little chunk of metal....I called Lance up and told him the specs to get his input..He didnt even hesitate suggesting the 3.5oz.

I thought it would take more but it worked great...The handle length is actually 8.79'' so just a minor adjustment.
Old 09-27-11, 11:25 AM   #10
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice looking build. An unusual handle configuration like that is one of the true advantages of a custom build. I can see adding some balancing weight on this build but do you use butt weights as a regular practice? I avoid adding weight to anything if at all possible.
Old 09-27-11, 12:20 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Nice looking build. An unusual handle configuration like that is one of the true advantages of a custom build. I can see adding some balancing weight on this build but do you use butt weights as a regular practice? I avoid adding weight to anything if at all possible.
No I dont...This was my first and a must...I have other methods of counter balancing without butt weights...

Btw,Heres a little side by side pic of the Kigan guide up against the AmTak Nanolite to anybody interested..both 4mm...Kigan on the left.

Old 09-27-11, 12:50 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

That arrow head design gets on my nerves wrapping thread on them. I have used them 1 time. My thinking is, if you wrap and epoxy it right, it should never come out. If it does, something was not right. I'll stick with the Fujis, not to be confused with the Fugees. And I will try the Kigans, and any others with the straight foot design.
Old 09-27-11, 03:54 PM   #13
Jrob78

That Kigan looks nice, I like how the insert seems to be really well seated inside the frame. I'll have to give them a try.
Old 09-28-11, 08:51 AM   #14
rrw4258

Waffle, that is one sick looking rod. I love the looks of it. Nice work!!

Ryan
Old 09-28-11, 11:11 PM   #15
gonefishin3

What are the advantages to the micro guides? how much does it (generally cost) one of you rod builders to put the ballanceing weights in the back of the rods?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 09:22 AM   #16
DVT Mike

Micro guides are a weight saver especially at the tip where it's most critical. The less weight you add to the blank the more it retains it's design characteristics. This results in a more sensitive and possibly better casting rod.
Old 09-29-11, 10:15 AM   #17
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
What are the advantages to the micro guides? how much does it (generally cost) one of you rod builders to put the ballanceing weights in the back of the rods?
This is an article written by Alex Dziengielewski that I feel covers both ends of micros extremely well.
http://www.ultimatebass.com/-general...here-when.html

As far as price..That Batson (3.75oz not 3.5oz) balancer is around $28 bucks alone.
Installation/labor would vary from builder to builder.

Old 09-29-11, 12:30 PM   #18
gonefishin3

Is there a balance weight you can screw in different weights? Also I was looking at some pictures of rods why to sometimes the guides you put on you install them and they look like they rotate around the blank.. does this help the casting?
Old 09-29-11, 12:53 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Fuiji makes a few different butt pieces that you can add/remove weight..I think BPS carries two of them..The screw in type and the slip over type..That are more $ friendly.

Another option,is you can fill spent shell casing with lead and glue it into the rod butt if your into it.

What kind of rod/technique are you trying to do this for?

Spiral wrapped guides is what you saw on the rod guides....Does it help the casting?...Depends on who you ask...I honestly cant tell a difference,but that's not their purpose anyhow....The one main purpose is to prevent rod twisting under load which prevents torque,and makes it less fatiguing ...It was developed by a commercial ocean fisherman in the early 1900's.

Any rod for myself that is a ''tip up'' application I spiral wrap....The line already wants to rest on the bottom of the guides,so why not put them on the bottom.With tip down applications I do conventional set up since the line wants to hit the top of the guide....Either way works,but I prefer this way for my personal set ups.

Have you've ever notice its less work to fight a fish on a spinning rod?....Spiral wrapping is basically the same principal.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 09-29-11 at 01:15 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 01:12 PM   #20
gonefishin3

That was my next question.. what applications do you guys put weights in your rods for? Personally any plasticing because i want my rod tip up because i get less hang ups. (especially in rocks) but for topwater and crankbait i like my rod tip down... Does anyone use micro guides on there spinning outfits?
Old 09-29-11, 01:40 PM   #21
WaffleJaw

If I can help it,I dont add any unnecessary weight to a rod in terms of butt weights/balancers....With that said however,sometimes it is necessary to get what you need out of the rod.like this one

Rod balance imo is important in any tip up application..Especially flipping and pitching...Tip down is less of a concern for some ,for obvious reasons,but I strive balance on any rod I touch....A well balanced rod is always gonna feel lighter and less tiring at the end of the day....or tourney.

Jrob78 made a very nice micro spinning rod in the long long ago.Ive been wanting to try one myself in the near future...I dont think I ever casted his,but he can tell you more about that.
Old 09-29-11, 07:38 PM   #22
Jrob78

I've got one rod that I glued lead weights into the butt for balance. I'm not happy with it and want to remove the lead, just haven't done it yet. It is a cranking rod and I feel like it effects my casting. I think I only added 1.5 oz or something but it just doesn't feel right when I cast lighter baits. I don't think I will permanently add weight to a rod again. I also wouldn't build a rod for myself with a 8" grip like the rod Waffle built, that was at his client's exact specifications and a pretty extreme case, to each his own. If I ever wanted a long rod with such a short grip, I might opt for adding weight but that would probably be the only circumstance I would. I do really prefer balanced rods and strive for good balance on my builds, there are just other ways to balance a build besides adding weight.

As far as the micro spinning rod, I'm not the best person to ask. I feel like the rod fishes well and I'm happy with it, I just don't like spinning rods and don't use it very much. I followed a very specific formula for guide placement and I don't really see any problems with the performance of the rod. I just don't have much to compare it to as I prefer casting rods. The one thing I will say, if you fish long fluoro leaders with spinning gear, as many people do, the micros probably won't pass knots very well.
Old 09-29-11, 09:59 PM   #23
Tavery5

Jrob, I'm curious, what are some of the other ways to balance a rod besides adding weight?
Old 09-29-11, 10:53 PM   #24
Jrob78

The main things I like to do are to use the lightest guides possible. The less weight you have on the tip of your blank, the closer to the handle the balance point moves. I primarily use micro guides on my rods. It doesn't seem like they would make that much difference but when your adding weight 6' or 7' out away from the handle, a little bit makes a huge difference. It also makes the rod feel much more responsive. Rods with regular guides almost feel sluggish to me, like it takes forever to unload after they've been flexed. This obviously has nothing to do with balance, just an added benefit.

I also like to use longer handles on my rods. It's basically the same principle, the closer to the fulcrum your handle is, the more balanced it will feel. Obviously, you can only take that so far. I've found that 12" from the end is about as far as I can go and still have a rod that is comfortable to fish. 10.5" - 11" is ideal. I am a two hand caster and like a little longer handle than most probably do.

Another thing you can do, which does add weight but in a different way, is to use a heavier grip material. I have used burl cork on tip heavy blanks. It is considerably heavier than regular cork. While this does add weight, it isn't the same as inserting weight on the very butt end of a rod. It's generally under, or right behind your hand, which adds to the balance.
Old 09-30-11, 11:03 AM   #25
lilmule

You speak of weight saved by micro guides yet add 3 oz or more at butt,to balance.
Myself prefer the feel of a fencing foil to that of a broom,when using all day long.
Would also like to know how they preform with say a roberts wrap or spiral wrapped guides,custom makers often use enlarged spinning guides to ease casting.
And how does freezing conditions effect those small holes?
Loading and unloading of a spiral rod is quite quicker and spread out,just my opinion on them have several,just none with micro guides
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.