Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-10, 03:41 PM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Plastics Rod Strength/Action?

My monkey is acting up, so here's a quick question. I'm looking at a dedicated worm/craw/lizard rod, Texas rigged 90% of the time. Lite sinkers are 1/8 oz and heavy is 3/8 oz, with 1/4 oz being used the most often. I'm looking at a BPS Carbonlite trigger in the 7 foot range. Here's the options:
6'9" mh/xfast
7' m/fast (tied for first place)
7' m/mod (may have possibilities)
7' mh/fast (top contender)
7' h/xfast

I already have a Carbonlite 7'2" med/fast spinning rod for small flukes and floating worms, and I love it. The sensitivity for the price is great, and I decided my next BC rod would be a Carbonlite about ten minutes after I tried it for the first time. So, which action/strength would you go with?
Old 10-19-10, 04:13 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

6'9" M F/XF - This is not a bad choice, and makes a great all purpose rod.

7' M F - I'd use a rod like this for light t-rigs, shaky heads, etc.

7' M M - I'd definitely give this one a thumbs down for a t-rig/soft plastic rod.

7' MH F - Of the ones you listed, this would be my choice. Makes a great t-rig rod, and can handle a lot of other baits as well.

7' H XF - This one would also get a thumbs down from me for a general purpose t-rig rod. This rod is more a jig, heavy t-rig, pitching rod.

I have to say that recently, one of my favorite rods to fish is a 7'3" MH F rod. I mostly use it for t-rig, and more specifically, t-rigged senkos. I know this rod isn't available in the Carbonlite rods, but I thought I'd mention it.

BB
Old 10-19-10, 05:42 PM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I throw all t-rigs on a 6'6" MH Fast rod and love it... I have a 7' MH and it is great for that too, but I usually use it for carolina rigs instead...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 08:24 PM   #4
bassboogieman

T-rig and other plastics I want a MH/fast casting rod, length of 6'6" to 7'0". Those plastics are thick and I use a 4/0 or larger hook. The MH rod will get the heavier hook through the plastic and in the fish. Only time I use a medium power rod for plastic is finesse presentations with small plastics and thinner wire hooks and I use spinning gear.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 08:52 PM   #5
rrw4258

My first choice would be the 7' MH Fast. I have the same rod (power and action) but it is a Quantum Superlite. That rod is the best light flipping rod I have ever owned. It has just enough tip to detect and pick up on a fish without them feeling it, but has alot of backbone for setting the steel.

Ryan
Old 10-19-10, 11:54 PM   #6
IowaBasser

Chaulk up one vote for the 7' 0" M/F!

Maybe it's because I grew up fishing smallmouth or maybe it's because our largemouth are smaller up here in Iowa than you grow them in the south; but I'm a fan of light tackle.

In my lifeteime I've only caught 2 largemouth in the 5 lb range - and those were estimates based on a 20" length and fairly hefty girth. (Both were released) 20" is also my personal best for smallmouth, and it only weighed 3-1/2 lbs, but I guarentee the smallmouth I caught in a shallow river with fast current fought harder than most 5 lb largemouth from a lake! I have caught some pretty big toothy critters close to 30" on a 6'-6" ML/F set-up (and a medium/small spinning reel) - that's a lot of fun!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 09:42 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For a T-Rig, I almost always use a 7' MH Fast. It gives you quick, hard hookset capability, as well as better control of your worm/lizard.

For a C-Rig, I prefer a 7' M Fast, unless I'm in really heavy weeds. I think the extra flex prevents the fish from detecting pressure for just a split second longer before spitting it out, which is good because your strike detection is often a bit more delayed on a C-rig. It also helps add a bit of casting distance to an awkward leader setup.
Old 10-20-10, 09:52 AM   #8
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If i had to use a medium rod for that, I'd stay home...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 05:46 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Another vote for the 7' MH-F. I have no problem throwing 1/16 and up weights with this rig.
Old 10-22-10, 10:02 AM   #10
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
If i had to use a medium rod for that, I'd stay home...
Stay home? That's non-sense! I'd still go fishing if my only choice for a rod&reel combination was a 2 ft. Bugs-bunny/Tasmanian Devil pole from Wally World... come to think about it, I my 8 year old nephew caught a 4 lb largemouth with that pole 2 summers ago!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 12:08 AM   #11
Old Hooker

Well, I went today and picked up a Carbonlite 7' MH/fast and put my newest PQ 6.4:1 reel on it. All I can say is WOW! If the initial feel is any indication I am really going to like this combo. Too bad I waited so late in the year to put it together. I'll give it a hard work out in the spring. Thanks guys!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.