Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-06, 07:07 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Pig & Jigs??...HELP!!!!

Alright so ive been using jigs for the past 4 weeks and i promised myself i wouldnt use anything else until i caught one on a jig ! so....Here i am. Need any good advice and how to use them ...i let it set for 30 secs tip my rod up 2-3 times lil drag here and there very slowly no action ? what m i doin wrong...my friends are beside me catchin them on worms and jigs i cant do it ! dont get it HELP PLZ!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 07:30 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i am not real experienced with a jig but i have caught my fair share on them lately a 1/4oz. black/red witha brown craw trailer, sounds like your doing everything right... just keep with it!

Ryan
Old 11-02-06, 07:51 PM   #3
skeeter944

yeah,you know what they say,the longer you dont catch a fish with a jig,the closer you are to catching as fish.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 08:00 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY

I like 3/8 ounce jigs in most situations. In heavy cover I like at least a 1/2ounce. In cold water try a pork trailer. In warmer water I like plastic trailer. My favorite things to use are yum crawbugs. When choosing colors there are a few factors to consider. In clear water I use natural colors like pumpkin and watermelon. IMO blue and purple are the best darkwater colors for jigs.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 09:25 PM   #5
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

yep ...any more advice on jigging it ?
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 12:35 AM   #6
TagNBrag
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
yep ...any more advice on jigging it ?
Lots of retrieves, short hops, fast jerking hops, deadstick it (fish it sloooow) , a buddy of mine only swims it and catches lots of fish that way. Works deep, shallow, very versitile, just keep playin with it. Try to find clear water and mess with it while your looking at it to get an idea of whats going on when you move it. You don't need to twitch it much to get it to move and quiver. Good luck.
TagNBrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 11:14 AM   #7
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thing to remember as well. What kind of water clarity are you fishing? Clear water, spreads fish out, muddy, or stained, puts em tight on cover. So my strategy (which means I replace my line every week) is to actually cast past a tree stump or brush pile, and run my line up against the stump to make sure I contact that stump on the bottom. bounce it, etc.
Personally I think one of the hardest things in fishing is detecting a jig bite sometimes. It isnt like a topwater bite, or a crank bite. Its a lot more subtle. Telling the difference between brush, structure etc, and a bite is sometimes hard. Basically you are feeling for pressure, steady pressure. I think there is no where in fishing that quality of rod comes in to play more than jigging. You have to know what wood feels like, mud, etc, and then of course, what a fish feels like.
It takes time. For the longest time I hated jigs, I rarely fished em, and never caught anything on em. One day, I went out, with not one other thing in my box, just jigs (and my hand poured trailers, i use aunt zippys, fantastic). 9 straight hours of fishing. I landed over 20 bass that day. Which for jigging is a good amount. Bigger fish too.
Give it time, you will get it.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 11:26 AM   #8
skeeter944

welcome to the forum tagnbrag!
Old 11-03-06, 07:49 PM   #9
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I too am no expert but in my experience scuba diving in rivers and lakes this time of year, most craws are jumping up about a foot and swimming 3ft away then landing on the bottom and doing it again running from bass (and me). They aren't sitting on the bottom or "making a mud trail" like I've heard others mention. The water is a good temp for them and bass to be active and that's just what they are. With that said, what's the water temp... if your still in fall keep reading if you are onto winter patterns then disregard and fish BIG black jigs ssslllllooooowwwwww!

If you are still in fall and if I was you I would try a black/red or a black/blue 1/4 - 3/8 oz jig with a small craw trailer and swim it just above the bottom for a few feet then let it set on the bottom for a few seconds twitching it then pop it reel fast up and back to you a few feet. I have had success doing this in the fall and I only tried it after seeing several bass chasing crawfish and eating them while diving. Interesting: They wouldn't eat them when they were on the bottom I guess because the craw would get defensive and put his little claws up ready to pinch... only when they jumped up and started swimming away... reaction strike!! I have experienced this too when fishing them like this, it is like a spinnerbait bite... hard! While swimming it try different speeds and jig it at different speeds when your swimming it above the bottom.

I hope this helps. Like I said, I'm no expert but just a humble observer and practical applicator!

Jolly
Old 11-04-06, 12:38 PM   #10
3dkicker

Jolly -thanks for the first hand observation....it can be very helpful for those who haven't been under water or have no idea how crayfish respond to predators.

Mojo - I'd recommend that you make sure that you are using the right rod for the technique. What size jig are you using? Can your rod handle the weight in order to be able to detect a subtle strike? Are you able to feel limbs, rocks, sand, gravel or mud? Heavy jigs and light rods don't work well together for most beginners. A subtle "tick" in a brush pile is difficult for a beginner using the wrong rod. Bass don't always knock the rod out of your hands when they strike (just backing up what MMIB said).
The second part is your ability to detect worm bites and jig bites. If you are successful with worms but only use light weights then you may be having difficulty adjusting to heavy weight and your rod isn't suited for the technique. If you have difficulty detecting worm bites then you probably need more time on the water with both techniques.
Last thing, vary the retrieves. Re-read what Jolly has posted...good stuff. Plus a lot of bites on a jig happen on the initial fall. You need to be sure that you remain in contact with the jig at all times.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 11-04-06 at 12:51 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 06:01 PM   #11
pig n jig

Most likely you were getting bit on the jig , if they are catching them on a worm.You have to fish the jig enough to know when your being bit.It doesn't cost anything to set the hook, but as soon as you start catching fish, it will become easier to know when a fish has it, even though you never felt a tap.Until you learn, my best advice is to set the hook whenever the jig feels different like a rubberband feeling, the jig pulls back as you try to move it, you just feel heavy weight as you try to move it, or you feel no weight at all.Like I said it doesn't cost anything,its a pleasant surprise when there's a fish there on the hookset. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 06:05 PM   #12
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it sure won't cost ya anything to take a swing huh pnj..the one thing I always here at the end of a tourney is guys saying they jig fished all day, but on many bites it felt like the bass picked it up, dropped it, then picked it up again..of course many times the angler sets the hook the first pick up. But sometimes the line will move, letting you know thats theres a fish on...it seems on jig bites, they (at times) will pick it up and just stay in the same spot for a few....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 06:19 PM   #13
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
yeah,you know what they say,the longer you dont catch a fish with a jig,the closer you are to catching as fish.
Skeeter, your learning.Once you really get into fishing jigs in large weedbeds, it will make perfect sense.Confidence will be gained throught time spent fishing the jig.Its one lure that never seems to be an instant sucess. P N J
Old 11-04-06, 07:10 PM   #14
skeeter944

yup,i finally did catch a bass on a jig,even though it was only 11''.
Old 11-04-06, 07:26 PM   #15
pig n jig

Skeeter, Rome wasn't built in a day, keep working at it. Jigs catch all lengths of fish, not just the big ones they are supposed to be known to catch. Congratulations on your first jig fish, there's plenty more to follow once you've broken the ice. P N J
Old 11-04-06, 07:33 PM   #16
skeeter944

thanks! the water is starting to really cool down here in sc,and i think i am going to fish the jig more often and try to get sone more bass on a jig before christmas.
Old 11-05-06, 08:06 PM   #17
rrw4258

i got out yesterday and it was warm but there was no bite on any kind of reaction bait so i went to a 1/4 oz. jig with a SECRET trailer that always produces... anyway i got only 1 bass but it was 19 3/4 in. long and i didn't get a pic!

Ryan
Old 11-05-06, 09:17 PM   #18
BassMoJo55
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo55

First Fish on Pig -N- Jig 3lbs ! 19ins Not to bad !

BassMoJo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:21 PM   #19
BassMoJo55
BassFishin.Com Member

If sum 1 knows how to make that bigger plz
Old 11-05-06, 09:36 PM   #20
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

you can go to download.com, and search "right click image resizer". Photo Gadget should come up.downlaod it and your set. you can make any pic any size.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:56 PM   #21
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo55 View Post
If sum 1 knows how to make that bigger plz

Release her back into the pond, and let her eat more, and grow

Lizards
Old 11-05-06, 09:56 PM   #22
JB

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 10:04 PM   #23
BassMoJo55
BassFishin.Com Member

Lol the picture not the fish...haha
Old 11-05-06, 10:08 PM   #24
skeeter944

thats a good start mojo,keep catching them!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.