Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-07, 02:09 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Post Reel lube

I was using breakfree clp when I noticed some discoloration and so, I took the reels down and cleaned them up really well. I now need some good quality lube. I use that TJ's rocket fuel "yellow" for ooolder reels and its good but I wouldn't feel so good with it on my revo's or curados. Any proven recommendations?
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 02:14 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use Quantum Hot Sauce on mine, both the oil for the bearings and the grease for the gears. It has worked well for me.
Old 01-27-07, 02:17 PM   #3
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ok,

I will try that instead of just oil everywhere.. I'll grease the gears and oil the bearings.
Old 01-27-07, 07:44 PM   #4
sillybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Be careful with the Hot Sauce oil, with bearings you need to flush them out first I soak mine in lighter fluid and them let them dry on a paper towel, when you go to oil them only use 1 small drop of hot sauce per bearing, if you used more than that your reel wont preform well. I have had to tear down 2 different reels right after I got done putting them back together to flush the bearing out again because I used more than 1 drop of oil. Also the worm gear takes a drop of oil do not put grease on the worm gear. The rest of the gears you use grease on.
Ken
sillybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 08:15 PM   #5
WTL

The yellow rocket fuel is supposed to be a great oil, why not use it on a revo? When you say lube we are talking oil, right? Not grease?
Old 01-27-07, 10:33 PM   #6
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah oil not grease. I don't use the rocket fuel on newer reels because it just hasn't been around long enough that I know of. Now for my old quantum acs's , they will cast like there is just no tomorrow. What kind and how do you apply the lighter fluid?
Old 01-27-07, 11:26 PM   #7
Rebbasser

usn-I just use the kind like they sell for Zippo lighters at Walgreens-comes in a small squirt bottle. Squirt it in a small container, drop the bearings in and let them soak a few minutes, then swish them around and then let them dry on a paper towel.

If you haven't cleaned them before, prior to putting them in the lighter fluid put the bearing on the point of a pencil and spin it. Then do the same thing after the lighter fluid and you will see a huge difference.
Old 01-28-07, 02:23 AM   #8
sillybass
BassFishin.Com Member

I clean them the same way Rebbasser does. I clean the rest of the reel when its torn in 100 pieces with warm soapy water and a toothbrush.
sillybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 10:03 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I for one have found that the quantum hot sauce is the best. I used to use the stuff that was available everywhere but hated it on cold days.. LOL I couldnt cast more than 25ft because the oil's viscosity was to thick. Since hot sauce is a advanced oil and grease you dont have these problems.
Old 01-28-07, 11:27 AM   #10
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I use Hot Sauce as well. SillyBass....I have a video from Quantum on cleaning their reels and they said you do not have to "flush out" the old lube. Just clean off any excess that you apply. If any of you Quantum PT users out there want this video just let me know.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 09:57 PM   #11
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wasn't going to post to this thread, but I will to put a different perspective on it. I do not use Quantum hot sauce on my reels anymore.Like rocket fuel its a light viscosity oil, thus the reason it works well in cooler temperatures.Here is my reasons for not using Hot sauce

1. Its expensive, $7.49 for .75 fl. oz. ? If you had multiple reels and over a period of time you were to use a gallon of Hot sauce at that price, it would cost you $1,278.29 per gallon ?

2. It contains a red dye that remains in the bearings while leaving you a false sense of security.If the dye is visiable, the oil lubricant must be there as well ? Not exactly true.

3.It was specifically designed for the Quantum polymer -stainless steel hybrid bearings found in their PT reel line up.Hybrid bearings are a stainless steel polymer coated cup with a ceramic ball bearing.These properties are less likely to corrode, or rust over the standard stainless steel bearings.

Yellow Rocket fuel has been around for at least 8 years now.It is not a big demand for it , because it is required frequent oilings since the oil is so light weight viscosity compared to other grade of oils, it will not remain in the bearings as well, but you can acheive maximum bearing rpms because of its lighter weight oil properties.

I am a cheap Bassturd, I use sewing machine oil.Its a high grade stainless steel bearing oil that won't break the bank when buying it and it performs well for the average Joe out on the water. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 02:21 PM   #12
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't normally bread my reels further than side plate and spool removal. Should I go further?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.