Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-07, 12:19 PM   #1
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default (Yet another) Canyon Lake Report 4/12/07

Yes, Ladies and Genitals, another day on The Jewel Of The Texas Hill Country!

Serious winds, East then SE, hampered us a little, and the fish were rather indifferent to our offerings. We managed 19 between us, all dink-to-barely- keeper. Not great for 9 hrs+.
Reb managed a few on spinnerbait, which is not generally a killer at Canyon, and the rest of his on soft sticks, while three of mine came on wacky-rigged 4" Senkos and the rest on 4" Pumpkinseed and Green Pumpkin ZOOM Dead Ringers with a 1/16 oz t'sten weight and small glass bead. (peg the bead, not the weight.)
The recent rains, the resulting dramatic rise in lake level, and the unseasonably cold temps circa Easter seem to have delayed the spawn. The fish show no signs of nesting wear and tear and most still bear eggs.
There are some "floaters" on the lake, dislodged by high water and current, even well down-channel, so boating caution is advised.
The upper lake is still quite murky, but conditions are good from Tom Creek on down, with increasing clarity as you go down-lake.

Tight lines!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 03:01 PM   #2
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks again for the report FlyRod.

Just so you and Reb know, we have other lakes around. I know Reb is an Aggie, and therefore unable to remember directions to too many places lest he be unable to find any of them, but you could help him.

Plus, if you had fished Choke, I would have an idea what was happening there for the tournament this weekend.

Amistad next month, in case you guys want to pre-fish that one for me.
Old 04-13-07, 04:03 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Nitro-

We've discussed Choke on several occasions, but lately wind has to be a consideration. 15-20+ on Canyon is doable, but that same wind on Choke is a nightmare. I'd love to get down there, but not get blown off the water.

We won't be fishing Canyon too much longer-once school lets out and the lake gets taken over by lake lice and ski boats we head for Boerne.
Old 04-14-07, 12:51 PM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Hey Nitro-

We've discussed Choke on several occasions, but lately wind has to be a consideration. 15-20+ on Canyon is doable, but that same wind on Choke is a nightmare. I'd love to get down there, but not get blown off the water.

We won't be fishing Canyon too much longer-once school lets out and the lake gets taken over by lake lice and ski boats we head for Boerne.
Yeah, the wind on Choke will be a real hoot today!
Boerne or Bust!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:05 PM   #5
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I got to Choke about 0800 on Saturday, looked at the swells, and decided it was better surfing weather than fishing weather. We decided to skip th epre-fish and goof off for the day. Went back to the lake at 2 pm for registration. I talked to a guy who had a wave come over the bow and break his windscreen in two, and several others who speared waves coming back in.

The good news is that the wind layed down for Sunday. Fishing was pretty good. We didn't have as many big fish as we expected, but a couple over 7 came in. Almost everybody limited, and the average 5 fish was a bit over 12 pounds. Lori and I didn't catch a short fish until after noon. We were culling by 0930, and that only because we got a late start getting out.

Most of the fish were really shallow, 3 feet and less. We did best on flukes in watermelon/red flake. Couldn't get a bite on a senko/tiki stick or on a trick worm. Spinner baits were working for other guys, but we fished a 200 yard area all day and pulled all of them in on flukes.

Reb, the area north of the 99 bridge in opossum is SHALLOW. The rocks along the bridge, we couldn't get to them, less than a foot of water. But that right bank north of the bridge was good for us if you get down there soon. We were marking good fish in about 8-10 feet in the creek channel too, just couldn't make them want to eat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.