Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-07, 08:59 PM   #1
foxman06
BassFishin.Com Member

Default low-profile baitcaster VS. bigger ones...

hey guys, i haven't decided what reel to get yet...I tried my uncles Abu Garcia 4600 (as mentioned in my other thread). i liked it a lot and i was just wondering what the pros and cons of a low profile reel Vs the bigger ones are.
Old 06-30-07, 09:09 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Truth be told it all boils down to personal preference. The round reels have more line capacity, but in bass fishing that really isn't an issue because no bass will spool you. I've used both and prefer low profiles. Just go with what feels right to you.
Old 06-30-07, 11:50 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just try them all in a store and see what feels right in your palm. I have both, Calcutta rounds reels and lo-pro reels like the Chronarch Mg and Revo SX. I think that they are about the same, it really depends on feel in your hand. For me it is not a big deal deal to reel faster or slower to get the right retrieve or to get a fish in, it is all part of the game. In actuality I wish all my reels were the same, things would be a lot easier.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 12:28 AM   #4
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

all days worth of fishing...low is the way to go...at least for me...I think in fishing everything comes down to personal preference...whatever works for you is what you should use!
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 02:37 AM   #5
islandbass

Reb pretty much summed it up.

LP reels are popular for bass fishing fishing because line capacity is not as critical and therefore LP reels will be smaller and lighter (in general) than a typical round reel. Lighter equipment is nicer to have when you're out there all day making hundreds of casts.

On the other side of the coin, if you need the capacity, round reels will give you that.

Just last year, I fought a brute chum (dog) salmon and even with my 201 Curado DHSV's spool at full capacity and a 22 minute fight, the fish spooled me.

I should have brought my abu round or cardiff 301A that day.
Old 07-01-07, 03:10 AM   #6
FlyRod

Foxenstein,

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you will be fishing mostly in Smallmouth country. Well, do you remember what I said about weight being your enemy? If you embrace my assertion then opt for the lightest good-quality low profile reel you can afford, preferably under 9 ounces, in at least a 6.2:1 gearing.
Most round reels are obese compared to the better LP reels. Rarely will you find a good one that weighs in at less than 10 ounces.
About that "best you can afford"; There is a huge difference between that 48 buck reel you mentioned and the ones I recommended. I realize that money is tight but if you buy the El Cheapo you run a greater risk of meltdown and then you have neither money NOR reel.
Better to save up and start with a reel that provides a solid foundation to your "System" than to take the cheapest route and risk disappointment and failure.
Smallies are little "Ninjas" and a smooth drag is essential when battling them. Well, as a general rule; The pricier the reel, the better the drag.
Hang in there, Foxster!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 09:30 AM   #7
zooker

personal prefurance like reb said i like low profile reels though i do have some round ones..

zooker
Old 07-01-07, 09:46 AM   #8
keithdog

All the above is correct. Just thought I would mention to you that all my life I've used the round profile reels. Most Abu Garcias, One Penn and One Shimano. I have been very happy with all of them. However, this year I bought my first low profile reel and am thrilled with it. As mentioned above, it's lighter, easier to palm and very comfortable to cast. Because of line capacity, I will continue to use my round style for fishing for salmon and steelhead. And will continue to use them for bass fishing too. But I so like my new low profile reel that any future reel purchases I make will be low profile.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 09:36 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Low Profile, due to it being easy to palm, no comparison.

Lizards
Old 07-02-07, 12:10 AM   #10
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

abu garcia revo...thinkin about a quantum cabo for swimbaits....

I love low-pros though...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 11:30 AM   #11
new bluefin
BassFishin.Com Member

low is the way to go
new bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 12:05 PM   #12
Raul

Aside from personal preference, the reel you are looking for may not necessarily be the reel thatīs made for you, some round baitcasters do not have recessed reel foot and when mounted on the rod they sit high on the reel seat and you may experience palmability issues if you hands are small. In other cases the difference in size ( for ex in a 4600 and a 5600 Abu ) doesnīt mean the reel is smaller in size but narrower in width, a 4600 may fit nicely while a 5600 may not because itīs wider.

When purchasing reels, specially round ones, itīs better to see if it fits you and not the other way around or you end up with a reel thatīs uncomfortable: if it doesnīt fit your hand like a glove donīt buy it.

Shimano & Daiwa round baitcasters have recessed reel foot, also, the sizes vary not only in width, they also vary in size and some may be better suited for you.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.