Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-07, 01:31 AM   #1
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My bream think they're catfish..

Ok so today I go out to do some cattin' w/ some chicken livers but I instead catch a boat load of bream and not one single cat.. something about that just don't seem natural. Any one else ever had this problem?

Chris
cdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 07:55 AM   #2
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bream will eat almost anything that is thrown in the water. That is why most people classify them as "bait stealers"

Bream can be really fun to catch with a good ultra lite and a bucket full of crickets.
Old 09-14-07, 09:46 AM   #3
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Also a lot of fun on a Fly Rod!
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:24 AM   #4
bothomas

ditto on the light weight stuff... and if you want to make some points with a wife that doesn't fish, take her out bream fishing if your on them like that and let her catch fish all day one after another....works with anybody who isn't really into fishing for hours only for those few moments that make it all worth wild.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 02:08 PM   #5
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

oh man talking about some fun stuff is takin' a flyrod to a farm pond and fishing for the smaller bass.. you may loose a lot of fish and tackle but man it's a blast seeing your rod bent in two and even though you're reeling as fast as you can it's like you're spinning your wheels.
Old 09-14-07, 03:47 PM   #6
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

How small a hook were you using?? Thats surprising you actually caught them. I usually use a circle hook while catfishing and bream never get hooked on those, they just pick all the bait off ahah.
Old 09-14-07, 09:42 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

when using chicken livers I usually cut the liver to about half the size of a golf ball, wrap it in panty hose and use a circle hook. ain't no way a bluegill is gonna get its mouth around that.
Old 09-14-07, 11:21 PM   #8
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

I was using a treble hook about the diameter of a quarter, a little under though. I ran the shaft of the treble through the toughest part of the liver and cradled the remaining liver on the hooks then attached the hook to a clip on a 7in swivle leader. I always had to remove the hook to re-bait but it keeps the liver on there the majority of the time unless the livers are just too broken down.

Chris
Old 09-14-07, 11:28 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Another thing we do for catfishing is use a specialized hook/sponge/netting type device:

And you dip that in some kinda stinkbait mixture and it stays on quite well. Nothing other than catfish really pick it up. It works pretty good.
Old 09-15-07, 02:10 AM   #10
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

I've tried both dip bait and dough bait with no success. The only thing I was successful in with those is smelling like poo. ;-) I did have success today with another experiment though of trying an uncooked beef hotdog soaked in chicken blood (in a liver bucket) fished in the same manner as I would a liver. I was receiving some vicious hits on those. More so than just the livers. I don't believe it was a bluegill, however it could have been a full grown one.
Old 09-15-07, 05:04 AM   #11
ESipes_89

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

What were you thinking? You should have cut up one of those bream and used it for bait. The catfish would have been all over it in no time. I NEVER use liver, stinkbait, or any other "gimmick" baits. When I do I only catch dinks and the fish I should have used as my bait. There is no substitute for fresh cut bait for big catfish.

-Eric
Old 09-15-07, 08:16 AM   #12
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
Also a lot of fun on a Fly Rod!
since we are talking about fun, bream, and catfish, i'll tell ya what's really fun, trying to catch a 2' cat on a flyrod... now that fun. especially with a 4lb leader which they can snap like a twig if you give resistance. anyways, I use the bream icatch whole for catfish. anywhere from 1" to 4" and the catfish i fish for will eat em. I am going totry some liver next time i go out so i got these hooks.

its awesome because of the safety-pin-like shaft. they are pretty big though. the size will also deter bream.

bb144

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.