Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-07, 10:08 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default P.N.J.'s

After test running the Supreme today, I threw on a 3/8 ounce Rattlin' Strike King Pro Model Jig. Problem is, when I went to thread on the craw(a ZOOM Big Craw Daddy,5" I think), the rattle which is fixed on the hook inhibited the craw from being threaded on. What can I do so the craw will thread-on? Also, when I commence jigging the jig after the cast, when I go to jig it, weeds snag up on the head of the jig where the line ties on. Why is this? Can you not use jids in weeds? By the way, I was jigging nearly vertical, about a 75* angle. Am I not jigging it right?

By the way, thanks for all the other help with rod selection and what not.

-LL-
Old 09-21-07, 12:05 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have had the same problem with some of my jigs. It all depends on the jig, some do it more than other. try the terminator jigs with the special eye, or the Jig-X, I heard both of those are good. although I haven't used either( I normally use Booyah or cheaper store brand jigs.)

bb144
Old 09-21-07, 08:44 AM   #3
keithdog

I have a couple ideas for you. One is you can change to a different style trailer which will not come in contact with the rattle. The Uncle Josh pork frog is one. There are plastic versions of the pork frog you can use also. Another thing you can do is to remove the rattle and replace it with a rattle made by Northland. BPS has these. They slide right onto the hook and slip right up snug against the skirt. The rattles are contained in chambers hanging from short rubber legs which will lay to the side of your trailer. There IS a jig made which uses this type of rattle already, though I don't remember who makes it. I believe the Terminator jig has these. But not sure. Lastly, you can simply remove the rattle and go without. To be honest, I have used jigs with and without rattles, and frankly I havn't noticed any difference in one or the other catching more bass. As for the weeds getting snagged on your knot, try working the open pockets in the weeds at the edges. You'll pickup less weeds that way. Also, as BigBassin mentioned, there are jigs on the market with a recessed line eyelet that helps reduce this problem. It is made by Terminator and is called the Pro's Top Secret Jig. I have used this jig myself and it does help reduce the weed snagging.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-21-07 at 08:53 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 03:46 PM   #4
lunker-lander

OK, thanks, I'll try to get some of those other jigs. Question though, have you ever used Haug Hauler Jigs? I bought a blue/black one yesterday with a rattle on it. BTW - They are made in Michigan.
Old 09-21-07, 09:32 PM   #5
keithdog

Never heard of that one lunker. Where did you get it?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 09:08 AM   #6
lunker-lander

I got 'em at a little, local tackle shop called Knutson's, you probably don't know it. I test ran them this morning, they work great! Minimally no weeds on them. No fish though...
Old 09-26-07, 05:48 PM   #7
pig n jig

Change to a chunk type trailer, or bite the majority of the body off from the craw so it will thread on behind the rattle.You won't have this problem very long once you catch fish, because the rattle usually gets torn from the hook after a few fish.In my opinion, a smaller claw profile trailer will catch more fish than a big honking claws design will. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 09:29 PM   #8
lunker-lander

What can I do about snaggage on the weeds though?
Old 09-26-07, 09:55 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Does it have a weedguard? If so, that should take care of snagging, slight snagging is to be expected, if fishing in the right places, just rip it through the snag. This attracts a lot of attention anyways.
Old 09-27-07, 08:13 PM   #10
lunker-lander

It has a weedguard Beef, the weeds just snag up on the lead head of the jig.
Old 09-27-07, 10:15 PM   #11
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Again, please refrain from calling me "beef."

Like I said, snagging is to be expected, just rip through it.
Old 09-29-07, 12:20 AM   #12
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Snaggage can be a problem on a pnj. Try a jpg or maybe a pbj next time.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.