Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-07, 11:14 PM   #1
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fireline? never again.

Hi,

I just spooled up my new sahara spinning reel with 20lb fireline crystal, partly due to what i've read on here, partly for me wanting to try something new. I've been fishing with 30lb powerpro and i love the stuff. The only slight issue is on windy days the slack line gets blown easily, but i've learned to deal.

Well, i spooled this stuff up and after 6 hours of fishing i was fed up. The stuff is like wax coated twine, the complete opposite of what i thought a braid is suppose to be. It was stiff and had a ton of memory. After that, when i get some free time and some free $$$, i am spooling up with powerpro and not worrying about trying new stuff for a long time. Luckily the fireline was onsale but it still wasn't exactly cheap.

i dunno if its just the "crystal" type or not, but i dunno how it won any awards for best line.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 07:43 AM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My brother fished the Crystal this year and it was decent. It was on a baitcast reel though. I used to use regular Fireline and liked it a lot back in the day. It's not exactly a braid though. It's different from say Power Pro. I don't like spinning reels so I've never tried it on one before to know how it would do.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 08:59 AM   #3
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

i use fireline on one of my spinning reels,abu garcia cardnial,and i have little to no problems with it .i use on a mh 6'6 spinning rod for small spinnerbaits.
Old 09-25-07, 11:52 AM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I used the crystal on a couple of casting reels this year. My complaint with it is after much use it frayed really bad. I broke 14lb off a couple of times on hooksets one day. It did have a lot of time on it though.
That evening PowerPro red went on that reel.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 01:31 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've used a lot of different braided lines and hands down powerpro is the best, however I've heard some decent things about spiderwire's new stuff, I think it's called outcast..not sure though.
Old 09-25-07, 03:43 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

[quote=sayn3ver;167106]
Well, i spooled this stuff up and after 6 hours of fishing i was fed up. The stuff is like wax coated twine, the complete opposite of what i thought a braid is suppose to be. It was stiff and had a ton of memory. After that, when i get some free time and some free $$$, i am spooling up with powerpro and not worrying about trying new stuff for a long time. Luckily the fireline was onsale but it still wasn't exactly cheap.quote]

Fireline is not a braided line. It is a fused line. Braided and fused lines are both considered "superlines". I haven't used PP yet, but I intend to soon. My first braid was BPS Excel Braid. I had no problems with it besides a little memory at first. it has a special coating on it that wears off with use. I bought that instead of PP because I use a lot of topwater and it's supposed to float more than other braids because of this coating they put on it.
Old 09-25-07, 11:25 PM   #7
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Fireline is not a braided line. It is a fused line. Braided and fused lines are both considered "superlines". I haven't used PP yet, but I intend to soon. My first braid was BPS Excel Braid. I had no problems with it besides a little memory at first. it has a special coating on it that wears off with use. I bought that instead of PP because I use a lot of topwater and it's supposed to float more than other braids because of this coating they put on it.
I've always used 30lb. PowerPro braid for top-water and it floats quite nicely. Although I've learned the hard way when to retie. I've lost my favorite popper several times when it birdnests. It has less of a tendancy to birdnest (and is easy to fix when it does) but, when casting into the wind it creates slack in the line and the spool spins freely causing the line to wrap around on it's self. This is the only complaint I have for PowerPro.

-Eric
Old 09-25-07, 11:49 PM   #8
Bender

Now I am really angry with the Fireline. It broke off on a hookset with a Medium action rod tonight during a tournament (not on the 10lb. floro leader and not on the knot) where the fish could have given us the win. As soon as I got home I pulled it all off.
I did break off powerpro also, but that was on a heavy jig rod with 10lb line I think and I really laid into him so I understand that one.
Old 09-26-07, 05:58 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
Hi,

I just spooled up my new sahara spinning reel with 20lb fireline crystal, partly due to what i've read on here, partly for me wanting to try something new. I've been fishing with 30lb powerpro and i love the stuff. The only slight issue is on windy days the slack line gets blown easily, but i've learned to deal.

Well, i spooled this stuff up and after 6 hours of fishing i was fed up. The stuff is like wax coated twine, the complete opposite of what i thought a braid is suppose to be. It was stiff and had a ton of memory. After that, when i get some free time and some free $$$, i am spooling up with powerpro and not worrying about trying new stuff for a long time. Luckily the fireline was onsale but it still wasn't exactly cheap.

i dunno if its just the "crystal" type or not, but i dunno how it won any awards for best line.

The "FACT" is that you need a break in period for Fireline. Or you can just scrub it up really well in the sink with a brush. It does have a waxy coating on it, but it gets better with use. The same however can also be said for Powerpro or any other braid I've ever used. It also has a coating that flakes off and gets better IMO. I like Fireline, and it will break just like Powerpro, Mono, Flouro, co-polymer's etc... But as Bender stated it gets frayed also. However isn't that a advantage, when you can just look at the line and KNOW it's time to retie, or remove a section out of it. You can't see that witrh mono, or Flouro's or co-polymer's. Or I guess you could just leave it there and have break offs The line is strong, and thin. I prefer it on spinning reels due to the more it seems to dig into the baitcasters. However I suggest if you don't like it, and can't work with it, then replace it for something you like. There is no point in having a bad day on the water because you don't like your fishing line. I still stand behind Fireline as a great product, but as I said you have to break it in.

Lizards
Old 09-27-07, 12:33 AM   #10
Bender

I'll give you that Lizards, it was a good line before its time ran out. However I am used to PP where it has had a lot of use without the wear. When it was newer the 14lb Fireline was better for me than my recent experience with 15lb PP. I just bought another spool of PP to finish out the year, but we will see for next spring.
Old 09-27-07, 07:09 PM   #11
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry, i'm still kinda new and super line = braid to me.

I am gonna leave it on a break it in some more and see, but i really was surprised at how it felt and handled. My powerpro took about 3 hours to go from out of the box to perfect. But it was still fish able right out of the box. The fireline wasn't at all. I wasn't expecting this and was caught off guard.

It probably irked me more cause by the time i first made the cast, i was out on my yak and had paddled about 15 minutes. Luckily i brought my other rod and life went on.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 10:53 PM   #12
reel cool 2
BassFishin.Com Member

I have fished with fireline and another prodcuct called Raptor. Both were good
but,they were very different products. I agree that Fireline is wire like and has
a line memory quality. Still on the smaller diameter spinning reel it responded
well. I never had any problems except it appears to have a slower rate of fall.
That could be good or bad depending on how and what your fishing. The other line Raptor was thinner and cast tremendously long and fell quickly.
Both lines were super sensitive and strong. These lines were 10# strength
but, 4# thin. My suggestion is to be open minded and keep trying new lines
until you find the one that suits you best. Best of Luck from Reel Cool 2.
reel cool 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.