Administrator

Arrow New Blog: The Lipless Crankbait - An Effective Wintertime Lure

NEW FutureCast Blog:
(12/06/08)

An Effective Winter Lure: The Lipless Crankbait

Old 12-06-08, 01:59 PM   #2
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

kevin, lipless cranks are a favorite of mine, and I do use them all season long: March through Nov. They're great as a count down hard lure that will eventually get to the bottom and worked with a yo yo retrieve. During the early fall period, they're my go to lure for ticking the tops of the weeds. But once the fish go deeper then 12 feet or so, it's drop shot/jig/wt'd creature bait, or C-rig time for me.
Old 12-06-08, 02:00 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That was a good read Kevin thanks .

Jim
Old 12-06-08, 03:12 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

early spring seems to be my prime time lipless bait useage but i do use it in the winterlike you wrote a slow crawler....

zooker
Old 12-08-08, 09:40 PM   #5
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great read..I should have tried it this weekened..I tried it all and caught 2 fish all weekened..I am convinced it was the blue bird skies right after the cold front.I did not try lipless but had firetiger in my hand thinking several times.Water temp was 51 degrees..I never really fished over 12 ft due to wind..Do ya'll think i need to go deep and what should i throw..I got a small tournament next weekend..The lake has about 11/2 foot visibility..I never fish for LM during the winter so i am lost and keep trying my usuall stuff.
Old 12-08-08, 10:08 PM   #6
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Basscrazie, up here 51 degree is prime fall water temps. I usually look for the deeper Green milfoil/coontail and fish the outer edges towards deeper water up to the max of 18 FOW. The LM are usually there. As to what presentation to use, that's the 64 million dollar question. 1/2-1 oz jigs, Tex rigged creature baits, Drop shot, 4 inch tubes, cranks on the bottom of the weedbed line, C-Rig to offer a different look then the crankbait.

Remember LM like cover. I'd also take a good look at any laydowns, and stonewalls for shallower fish.

Last edited by Joel; 12-09-08 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 12:39 AM   #7
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Down here that is cold and before prespawn and the lake has no vegetation left after the higher ups put the grass carp in to manage the hydrilla..It was not managed but demolished..I have fished rocks and boat docks shallow and deep for docks(up to 10ft).I don't like it but i guess i gotta fish open water structure..
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.