Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-09, 08:47 PM   #1
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default World Recod Bass Dies of Old Age....

Maybe this is old news, if so, please feel free to delete this post.

Part of me understands why this guy is excited that the fish finally died. On the other hand, its his own fault for letting everyone know where this fish was, in addition to posting pics and videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrvmVmwTcYo
Old 05-28-09, 08:50 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah the story is a year or two old .

Jim
Old 05-28-09, 09:32 PM   #3
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

Well, I had never seen it so thanks for posting it. I enjoyed it.
Old 05-28-09, 11:35 PM   #4
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
Well, I had never seen it so thanks for posting it. I enjoyed it.
same here

oh heck message too short
Old 05-29-09, 01:55 PM   #5
sac

I've seen pictures, but never knew the story about her. Thanks!
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:00 PM   #6
Jim80

They had the full story on espn a while back and also covered it on the national geographic show hooked on bass which spent some time with the guys and showed them out fishing for her , good show by the way if ya get a chance to watch it do spend the time .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 02:45 PM   #7
Raul

The World Record LMB died June 2, 1932, George Perry and his family ate it.

Dottie may be the largest LMB we´ve known about but is not the World Record title holder.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 10:04 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya, I read it on ESPN a long time ago! Never saw the video though! Thanks for posting!
Old 05-29-09, 11:35 PM   #9
bassinbob

Forgot where I read it but with the measurements provided by Perry the bass would have weighed around 13 or 14 lbs. No pictures make me skeptical about the whole thing.
It's official and so it stands till broken.
Old 05-30-09, 01:06 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If you get a chance, the National Geographic Channel is running "Hooked on Bass" this month. Do a search for it on your Dish or Direct TV. They have the story about "Dottie" and how bass fishing has really been taking off. I haven't been able to watch the whole thing, I just keep catching 10 or 15 minutes of it here or there myself.
Old 05-30-09, 05:39 AM   #11
George_Welcome

We know less about the Cal. fish than we do about the Georgia fish. Think about that.

We do know that the Georgia fish was weighed on a certified scale and accepted as a record.

We do know that the Cal. fish was only reported to be X size. You cannot weigh a fish with a picture.
Old 05-30-09, 08:40 AM   #12
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Welcome View Post
We do know that the Cal. fish was only reported to be X size. You cannot weigh a fish with a picture.
They did weigh it on video with a berkley digital scale. Hit 25 pounds 1 oz. I realize that scale is far from certified.

Either way, I should have titled this thread "World Record Sized Bass Dies of Old Age".

Havent had cable TV in over a year. Really wish I did, would like to see some of the doc's you guys are talking about.
Old 05-30-09, 09:04 AM   #13
aikenyounggun

yeah that little segment is off Hooked on Bass..... a great show off national geographic.... watch it if you can.....

its been like a year and a month b/c about a month ago bassmaster.com had a thing about 1a.d (after dottie) talkin about the legend that dottie is
Old 05-31-09, 05:22 PM   #14
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Welcome View Post
We know less about the Cal. fish than we do about the Georgia fish. Think about that.

We do know that the Georgia fish was weighed on a certified scale and accepted as a record.

That fish has been well documented.
It has been caught at least twice, weighed on certified scales, once before it was over the record weight and once after it was foul hooked and released.
They know it was the same fish because of a distinctive black scale.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 02:34 PM   #15
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Forgot where I read it but with the measurements provided by Perry the bass would have weighed around 13 or 14 lbs. No pictures make me skeptical about the whole thing.
It's official and so it stands till broken.
In the year 1932 very few people had a camera, it´s not like today where you can take a pic with your cell phone or purchase a disposable camera at any store.

The fish was weighted on the postal station on their scales.

The fish was certified by a public notary to weight 22 lb 4 oz.

The conspiracy theory behind the WR LMB:

Here comes Perry with his big bass, has it weighted at the postal office and certified by a notary.-

"Hey Mr notary I´ve got this big bass and I want you to certify it for the Field and Stream big bass contest where the prize is a shotgun"

Then the notary certifies the fish to be 22 lb 4 oz so Mr Perry can win a shotgun, it doesn´t matter if the fish weights that or not, the notary doesn´t give a darn about the law, he can get fined, he can loose his license, he can even go to jail for certifying the fish, he just wants his friend Mr Perry to win a shotgun.

Then the guys at the prestigious Field and Stream magazine get the pic of the fish plus the certification from the notary that the fish weighted 22 lbs 4 oz and they say: " well, let´s give this guy his shotgun and have his fish declared as the WR, we´ll make fun out of our readers and subscribers, in the worse case scenario all we loose is a shotgun, yep we don´t care we are the prestigious Field & Stream magazine, who cares about our readers and subscribers."

Later the IGFA is formed and ask Field and Stream to hand them over all the documentation of their records, they take a look at them and then .... nobody ever wonders if the fish really weighted 22 lbs 4 oz, they say: "We are the IGFA, we are going to keep the records from now on so what we do is what it is, besides, who´s gonna care the fish really weighted 22 lbs 4 oz ? the dude ( George Perry ) only won a shotgun."
Old 06-02-09, 08:28 AM   #16
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I have no doubt whatsoever in my own mind that Perry never caught a fish that size. Not enough reliable documentation and California and Texas have been trying too long to "farm raise" a new world record and besides, Georgia isn't even known as one of the top few big bass states. Nope, didn't happen.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 12:17 PM   #17
Paul_F
BassFishin.Com Member

That thing is HUGE.
Old 06-02-09, 11:14 PM   #18
bassinbob

Sorry, didn't realize the fish was weighed. Seems to come to mind that there was some hanky panky with the people who were witness to the whole episode. I am not trying to disclaim anythnig but I do recognize the record.
Old 06-06-09, 09:56 AM   #19
The Doc

The thing that I take out of this story is this. The guy caught the fish once, could have (obviously not legally, but who was to stop him) had it certified IGFA world record. His ethics and morals made him tell the truth that the bass wasn't in fact caught legally, but foul hooked on accident. This man deserves some applause. Many many many people would have just lied about it and we would have a new world record. I think the guy deserves some praise. Anyone have a clue what he would have gotten for breaking the Largemouth Bass world record?
Old 06-06-09, 12:11 PM   #20
cassidyta

IFGA actually said that the fish could still be a world record since they did not foul hook on purpose. He posted a web poll and let the public decide if he should pursue the record. After 1 week, the poll was darn close to 50%. Since there was not an overlwhelming majority, he dropped it.
On the money he could have gotten, the 8 Million bounty was no longer an option since the club that posted the bounty withdrew it when Dottie was caught and released the time before. That being said, estimates have the price around 1.5 million. This would be from the endorsements he would have gotten from the lure, rod, reel, and line companies as well as money from speaking engagements to travel around to shows to simply get his picture taken with people.
If you read anything on the group of guys, there were three of them who fished for this one fish together for years. When they would see her, they would take turns pitching to her location.
Old 06-06-09, 01:58 PM   #21
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
IFGA actually said that the fish could still be a world record since they did not foul hook on purpose.
The algid and debatable point here is: what comes first, IGFA rules or the law ?

Law in Cali says: if the fish is hooked anywhere except the mouth ( purposeful or not ) the possesion is illegal and the fish has to be returned immediately to the water.

In order to weight the fish and do the certification you have to be in possesion of the fish, but if you are in possesion of the fish you are breaking the law.

So you can´t have the fish in possesion, no legal possesion, no weighting so no weight ---> you can´t apply for the record.

The man obviously has high ethic standards because he released the fish in compliance with the law and he should be congratulated for that, he could have lied where the fish was hooked and apply for the record.

If it were me I would have returned the fish bracuse for me the law comes first.
Old 06-06-09, 02:08 PM   #22
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I have no doubt whatsoever in my own mind that Perry never caught a fish that size. Not enough reliable documentation and California and Texas have been trying too long to "farm raise" a new world record and besides, Georgia isn't even known as one of the top few big bass states. Nope, didn't happen.
neither did the american revolution or ww2.the facts are perry's fish was documented to the standards of the times.it must be considered the world record.just because you weren't there doesn't mean it didn't happen.for your information i have been told by police divers who practice in our reservoir systems that there are plenty of huge trout and bass down deep that never get caught because must of us don't fish that deep.does that mean they don't exist?
Old 06-06-09, 05:59 PM   #23
Cavs1123

thats a huge fish
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.