Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-06, 02:28 PM   #1
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need some input! =)

Say your looking at buying your first boat. You are willing to spend about 4 grand in the next month or so. What would you look for?

Been looking at Ebay, othersites, classifieds, gonna call the father-in-law and check at church(im not from this area, church folks have been here forever, im not trying to swindle them O.o )

The wife loves to be on a boat, fish or no fish she likes to be on the water.. Ill traid her up to be my personal navigator, she can work the troll and run me around while I pull in the bass.

Many of you might say, but Learnin... you just started, do you think your ready to drop 4000 on a boat? Hell yeah, and the fact that I did not just start fishing.. ive salt water fished for 20 years now, always had a boat in the family, but now I have my own family, and were boatless and thats a bad thing :P

So what would you keep an eye out for? I assume used.. which is great I think id rather have a older used boat thats been kept up nice than some crap new boat poorly contructed and poorly maintained

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bass-...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe something like this?
Learnin2FWFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 03:44 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd check that motor out real hard, and take several test runs in the boat at the nearest lake....also check if the batteries need replaced. It could need 2 or 3 new replacement batteries, also check out how chewed up the metal prop is on the big motor, as well at the plastic one on the trolling motor.
Look under haul for cracks, any patch work...
Check to see if the electronics work..depth finder.
Check the airators and bilge pumps.
Give it a wholeshot from sitting to full thrust, to see if it gets up on plane fast enough to suit ya.
Ask about any motor repairs.
The biggest thing I see guys struggle with is motor repairs.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 04:05 PM   #3
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It seems to be pretty clean from the pictures, but it is a tad bit small for me, but that's me. It looks as though it has an area for rod storage but you'll find a 7' rod will be a might tough getting in the storage compartment. A friend of mine had an 18 footer and complained about the rods not storing that well. Be sure and take it for a spin, if the guy balks at that, I'd forget it. Just my .02.
Old 04-08-06, 05:49 PM   #4
zooker

hydra sport boats are a very well built boat. looks like it has been fairly well taken care of. yamaha's are a good moter if it anit been trashed. hole shot will be fairly slow -40 horse- should plane out easily -as long as you anit fishing with lizard and his 300 pound tackle bag- diffantly take it for a run on the lake before money is exchanged..while on the lake drop the troller and hit the switch watch the area around the base the base may or may not move the area around the base should never move.. check the tilt trim-make sure it works.. notice that the moter has a hydro foil -check for stress cracks-they all will bend. i do know this the lower has not been used to much as the skeg would have the paint worn off in places from water pressue. #1 way to check if the moter has been pressure washed to hide use is the exhaust ports just below the moter cover will stain the paint on the shaft -something you can't wipe off with out a pressure washer- also ask if there is a spare prop-there should be- look at it if it has a bunch of large dings or dents don't touch it.

zooker
Old 04-08-06, 09:45 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
-as long as you anit fishing with lizard and his 300 pound tackle bag-

Lizards
Old 04-08-06, 10:13 PM   #6
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thnaks for the input guys, if it was you buying your first boat what would you be looking for? Something like this? or would you buy the boat/motor seperate? Wife is signing a contract to teach effectively increasing our income, been givin the go ahead to buy a boat when she does... so im in the market I suppose, just has to be somewhat close to lower AL
Old 04-08-06, 10:33 PM   #7
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

look aroud there is always fishing boats for sale my friend has seen a boat and motor in his neibors yard for a long time and he is going to ask to buy it

i was offered a 15 foot bass boat for 600 dollars

boats are all around you just keep your eyes open
Old 04-08-06, 10:57 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Learnin, I'd check around your area-if somebody is deploying you may be able to pick one up pretty reasonable. That boat looks good, but I bet you can find one closer to home.
Old 04-09-06, 01:21 AM   #9
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Good idea...

But im at a TRADOC post, no one deploys here I checked the lemon lot but only 1 boat that fits sorta and he wants 5300.... and its like a 80 (older than me) and been in alot of salt water... im not interested in that, it looks pretty rough too ill keep my eyes peeled
Old 04-09-06, 01:22 AM   #10
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess my question is.. check for what? if YOU were the one buying a boat and it was your first, and you had around 4000 what would you look for personally?
Old 04-09-06, 06:51 AM   #11
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love these type posts due to the fact that I work on em anddue all sorts of other things to em. So you say you got around 4000. That boat looks like she is in decent shape,money wise the price is about right but a 40 horse on a rig like that will eventually be 2 small IMHO and the longevity of the motor will be shortened cause the motor has to work abit harder to push that rig. I noticed in your avatar you from alabama. If it where me I would look around. I am positive you could find a bigger rig,maybe not as new but one that has been taken well care of and I feel you would be happier with. Here is a good rule of thumb to go by 15' rig needs a 70hp,16' rig needs a 115hp, 17 and 18'rigs depending on who makes it can handle 150's and so on. When buying a boat look in ALL the hidden spots under EVERYTHING and carry a rubber mallet. Use the rubber mallet to lightly tap on the hull especially in the transom area to make sure it is sound. A hollow sound is not good. On the motor....a cleam notor with few scratches is a happy motor, and like zook mentioned a scrtached up bent or nicked up skeg means they done hit the lowr many times. Normal wear and tear will show up as the paint fading from the front to the rear. A few scratches is ok but be careful that no chunks are missing. Batteries are a concern like JB mentioned,3 batteries will eat up $210 real fast. Loose bolts on the troller,wiring hanging down under the dash are areas of concern and should be inspected. Gelcoat fading is gonna happen but if the boat has been propwerly taken care of will be minumal. If the boat has been used alot one way to see if they took care of it while looking in those hidden corners see if there is alot of trash,leaves,sticks etc etc inthem. Could be a very well kept used boat or one left out in the weather all the time. Inspect the vinyl on the seats. A boat that is said to have little use will still have good cushion in the seat. One that has been used alot the seats will have a USED feel to them. If your not mechanically inclined when you do find a boat that you are really interested in take her for a spin. If the owner says no walk away. If after the spin you really like the boat and I might add really put the boat through the wringer when you run her, you might uncover something the owner didnt mention. After the spin if everything checks out take it to a mechanic and have her checked out. Steering should be relativley tight, motor should have good water presure coming from the tattle tail,start easy, not smoke to bad and have good compression. A compression test should be the last thing done. Do it before money changes hands because compression will tell you EVERYTHING about a motor. NO LESS than 15% differance between the cylinders on compression. If more than that WALK AWAY the motor is on her way out or needs repair. I personally dont buy a motor that I am gonna run without rebuilding is she has more than about 7% differance on compression. Hope I have answered the question you have asked and helped you out. If you need any more questions DO NOT hesitate to ask. You can ask here,pm me or use my email addy wareagle50@hotmail.com. I have been working on boats and motors for over 20 years so I do got some experience behind me and I feel like some of the guys here will back me up on this one. Good Luck and feel free to holler at me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.