Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-09, 06:17 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What would you expect?

Normally we ease into fall/winter untill by early november the weather is cold and rainy. Adjusting to this from late summer untill early november is usually easy to plan for as to what to expect out on the water chasing bass. The seasonal patterns are fairly reliable year after year. However, this year I'm expecting to be thrown for a loop pattern wise. Normally we are still having days in the high 70's, low 80's. However, 3 weeks ago the weather made an abrupt change and seemingly missing a whole portion of the season. It has gone from late summer weather to cold early november weather virtually over night. The past 1 1/2 weeks. nightly temps are dropping into the mid 40's to high 30's with daily highs in the low to upper 50's. Add in high winds with cold rain and the lake temps have plummitted. Not sure what they are but no doubt the water temp is easily 25 degrees colder than two weeks ago. How has this affected the bass I can only guess. The lakes around here are naturally formed lakes, of about 90 acres. There is a lake not too far from here that is around 450 acres. There are no reservoirs here, no dams, inflowing rivers and no shad to chase. Bluegill is the primary forage base for these bass. I'm planning on getting oout this saturday morning, and using jig n pig around wood with vegitation nearby, if the vegitation is still green and alive, which I am rather doubtfull of. I'm also planning to hit the pads which I know are still there but thinning out. And definately working cranks around submerged weedbeds. The weather tomorrow, friday, is for cold rain and highs around 48. Saturday should be partly cloudy and low 50's, but saturday morning should be around 40 degrees. But really, I have no idea what to expect out there other than bass who are going through weather shock. Any ideas of what you would do when facing something like this?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 08:07 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm planning on fishin' one of southern Indiana's big reservoirs this weekend. My plans have me heading straight for the bays and creeks in search of the shad. The fall migration is definitely on!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:45 PM   #3
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was out today and yesterday on a little natural lake. The water is 52-54 degrees and there were 10-15 mph winds. Yesterday was warmer, mid 50's, and today topped out in the mid 40s. I did pretty well with a 3/4 oz double willow spinnerbait worked slowly in just a few feet of water or a 1/4 oz watermelon/purple jig. Its looked like the fish were most active on the windy side and chasing minnows up against the bank.

I was moving fast and casting spinnerbaits and lipless cranks. When I'd catch a fish I'd slow down and work the area thoroughly with a large jig or a 10" Texas rigged worm. The fish were on the move into the shallow with the sudden cold fronts over the last 2 weeks. I had best luck on larger lures. Common in Fall.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 08:55 AM   #4
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We are having very similar weather patterns not too far away here in Jamestown, Ohio. The water temps haven't plummeted that low yet, but they are in the upper 50's. I've been having a lot of luck with a big 1/2 oz. white spinnerbait around submerged wood and rocky shorelines. My water is stained, so I go with double colorado blades that give off a good thump and that gets them biting. A jig/pig and buzzbait have also boated some nice fish the past week or 2.
Old 10-09-09, 09:31 AM   #5
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would keep an eye on the weather for Saturday. If the skies are blue the water could warm-up a few degrees near the surface and the bass might be looking to warm themselves in shallower water. If it is still cold & windy the bass will be tight to cover. Find transition areas between shallow & deep with rock if you can find it because the rock might hold a little heat for the bass. Otherwise I would follow your original game plan.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 12:25 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmmm.... the only things I can think of is to try to capitalize on an early morning bite, I'd use top water popper around wood. After that, try to find rip raps. The rocks will hold the heat well, the water temps could likely be 3-5* difference around there. Try suspending cranks, and jigs with a pork trailer, fish them as slow as you can bare. With the cranks, get it down to the bottom, and once it hits, stop it, the pull it down and hit the rocks again, repeat. Try using smaller jigs and just let them sit the on the rocks, and jiggle it or just slowly drag it. You could also drop shotting in deeper water.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Bassboss; 10-09-09 at 12:31 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.