Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-10, 04:48 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rain Sinking Boat ?

Have any of you been anywhere close to having to much rain for a bilge to keep up with ? I am just curious , since ive been fishing in rain lately. How much is too much ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 05:25 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have been in one brief downpour last year where the rain was coming down faster than the bilge pump could take it out. It was that awful T-storm at Patoka I got stuck in.

However, most bassboats these days have the closed cell foam in the hulls where they would not sink to the bottom even if you filled them with water. They might just sort of bob around barely breaking the surface.
Old 05-15-10, 07:18 PM   #3
CMorg

Their calling for around 1" of rain tomorrow in 5 of the 8 hours of our tournament. If its not a nasty nasty storm , I will fish it. I just wondered what everyones thoughts were on this subject.
Old 05-15-10, 11:18 PM   #4
bamabassman

Don't worry bout it cmorg. 1 inch ain't gonna do much. Your pump will get it out.
Old 05-16-10, 09:13 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wouldn't worry about it much. We fished a tournament back in 2001 where we had downpours off and on, all day long. I believe I was in an older Champion, and the bilge just wouldn't do it by itself. We kept fishing of course, and I distinctly remember seeing water come to within 3" of the deck...we kept fishing. It actually didn't seem to affect the boat at all.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:17 PM   #6
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I have been in one brief downpour last year where the rain was coming down faster than the bilge pump could take it out. It was that awful T-storm at Patoka I got stuck in.

However, most bassboats these days have the closed cell foam in the hulls where they would not sink to the bottom even if you filled them with water. They might just sort of bob around barely breaking the surface.
my boat wont sink,but it will get deep enough that the carbs are under water and i have to troll from then on. the only usable floor was the front deck,and took 2 hrs to get it all out. i had to troll to the bank and use the power trim to raise the back of the boat on a rock to get the bilge hole above water so it would pump. also had to use tackle box lids to bail water while getting slightly shocked from the batteries being under water. not much fun at 12 AM. this wasnt from rain though,but you get the idea...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:18 PM   #7
Embrey

Quote:

and are you talking about the day it rained like 6 inches? if so, i went on purpose that day...lol. mine didnt have any problem keeping up with it.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 12:30 AM   #8
nofearengineer

It was the day there was a big FLW event there...7/25/09. The rain came out of nowhere. I don't think it rained 6 inches, but I bet it rained 2 inches in about 3 minutes LOL. That and the wind scared me to death. Remember Alien's tagline, "in space, no one can hear you scream?" Well my tagline that day was "in a hurricane, no one can see you pi$$ your pants!!"
Old 05-17-10, 06:36 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

GO FISHNG bud...........most units will handle a pretty good rain......if not its an easy upgrade and one that I recommend for all boats.......I run 2 pumps.........one is the main pimp and the other is strictly a backup.......ever knock a hole in one and you will wish you had the second there.
Old 05-17-10, 09:23 AM   #10
CMorg

Quote:
It was the day there was a big FLW event there...7/25/09. The rain came out of nowhere. I don't think it rained 6 inches, but I bet it rained 2 inches in about 3 minutes LOL. That and the wind scared me to death. Remember Alien's tagline, "in space, no one can hear you scream?" Well my tagline that day was "in a hurricane, no one can see you pi$$ your pants!!"

LMAO , thats a good story nofear..
Old 05-17-10, 09:23 AM   #11
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
GO FISHNG bud...........most units will handle a pretty good rain......if not its an easy upgrade and one that I recommend for all boats.......I run 2 pumps.........one is the main pimp and the other is strictly a backup.......ever knock a hole in one and you will wish you had the second there.

I am going to get a spare , thats a good idea. How many backup pimps to do you have ?? Had to , sorry.
Old 05-17-10, 05:33 PM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

I have 2 pumps in my boat. One is automatic and the other is hooked up to a switch so I can use it when needed. Never needed it yet, but it's good to know it's there if I do.
Old 05-22-10, 06:28 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

On a slightly related note, I saw a pedal boat nose down in the water yesterday. Meant to take a pic on the way back but forgot. Ot went a different route....can't remember....
Old 05-23-10, 07:57 PM   #14
flfireman

I fish in Florida, we get rain almost daily at certain times of the year. I have never, ever had a problem with too much rain causing any boat problems. GO FISH!
Old 05-24-10, 12:10 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Shouldn't be a problem. If Indiana is anything like Texas if it is raining hard enough to overwhelm your bilge pump it is accompanied by lots of lightning so you don't want to be on the water anyway.
Old 05-24-10, 10:15 AM   #16
lilmule

Most of the newer boats do have enough floatation to keep them afloat,some older boats do as well,Ranger.
However floatation is measured in level,swamped,then some merely float nose up all the rest down,including motor,gas,etc.So dont be tricked into thinking it wont sink,as it has some built in depending upon the floatation,above 20 ft its not or was not a requirement,the Edmond Fitzgerald at 826 ft had none.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 11:16 AM   #17
WTL

I run small boats and its never really happened. I have gotten about 7 or 8 inches worth in there before and had to bail for several minutes - normally when it rains hard enough to sink the boat it is also lightning so I go in to shore where it wont sink.

I recently did add a bilge, in my case towards the front of the boat since it is the actual lowest area of the vessel with the V. I think it would take a hurricane to sink it via rain. Waves are of course another issue entirely.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 12:25 PM   #18
TN_Bassin

Couple Saturdays ago when the flooding was just getting started in TN. I don't think the rain would have ever sunk the Stratos but a couple of the smaller Aluminum boats that fish the tourney had to seek cover when the rain got to hard. Even in the Stratos the bilge ran non stop all day long, and the Stratos has dual 500 gph bilge pumps.

The amount of rain I'm talking about is around a foot in 8 hours so if the bilge kept up with it without swamping the boat I doubt the boat would ever sink due to rain alone.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.