Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-10, 12:05 AM   #1
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First bass boat

We after some saving, debating with the wife I have finally purchased my first bass boat. I got a 2002 special edition bass tracker pro team 175xt. I cant wait to get out and use this boat but I have two issues that I need to take care of first. The first one is that this boat was owned by a farmer who kept the boat in a barn and the carpet has a small hint of barn aminal smell. I had planned on cleaning the carpets any way but figured I would as to see if there was some cleaner that you guys would reccomend. There are no stains just a smell. The second thing is that, I have misplaced the key to this boat and dont know where to go to find another one. It has a 40hp tracker merc motor. Do I need to call tracker boats or mercury motors? Or can I just go to a dealer and give them the info on the boat and they can get me a new one. Please help if you can. Thanks
Bhora@tricountyera.com

Brandon

Last edited by brandonjames; 07-08-10 at 12:09 AM. Reason: left something out
brandonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 12:25 AM   #2
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Usually any other tracker key will work. I think.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 07:34 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For the smell... the beauty of a boat is it is designed to get wet, so pull it out on a sunny day, empty it completely and go to twon with soapy water and a scrub brush on teh carpets and rinse good, then let dry... make sure to pull the bilge plug and open all teh compartmenets after to dry good. Use Dawn as it really gets dirt and grime out (you cant see it but that is where teh smell is coming from) and get a nice scent that you like...

the other option is febreze and go fishing a bunch... lots of sun and fresh air could help the smell some... and you get to go fishing... win-win
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 05:05 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

If the carpet really isn't dirty, you might be fine with a quick wash 'n rinse, followed by some fabreze and fresh air... I got into auto detailing with my last new ride purchase and use extraction for carpets and am always amazed at how much dirt comes out of carpets, even when they don't look all that bad. Just so happens that I have a Bisell carpet cleaner for the house, that I also use in the cars and boat. You could also just wash 'n rinse and use a good wet/dry vacuum.
Just getting her outta the barn and into some air will likely do wonders.

Sorry can't help with the key issue, but there's gotta be a way - good luck
if all else fails, find a local boat dealer and explain...I'll bet they've heard that one a zillion times and if they can't resolve, they'll know exactly where to point you.
Old 07-08-10, 05:27 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The problem with using a soap is that it will leave a residue, and thus attract even more dirt afterwards. If it is just a smell, I would go the Febreeze route, or maybe a mild scrub with baking soda. Rinse well, and just about any organic-based barnyard aroma should be gone.
Old 07-08-10, 10:18 PM   #6
bamabassman

you should be able to get another key at oyur local baot dealer. or call tracker. as for the smell..............just wait till you get a bounch of FISH in that rig. lmao!
Old 07-08-10, 11:59 PM   #7
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

I came home tonight and my wife was in the boat with the carpet cleaner going to town on the boat and the smell is pretty much gone. Just a few spots left. As far as the key goes the local dealer said they have master keys but if they don't fit they can just put in a new ignition so I have to wait a week as I am going to have them tune up the engine just to be safe. Thanks for the help
Old 07-09-10, 04:41 PM   #8
bcklash

NO NO NO NO!!!!!! Don't clean the carpet -- rub your plastics all over your carpet and get that smell all over your baits. I promise you'll catch fish!!!
Old 07-09-10, 08:17 PM   #9
bamabassman

lash................BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! !! NOW you gotta see it lash's way.da stinkier it is, the better the fish bite. he rubs his cranks under his armpits before each cast. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 07-09-10, 09:39 PM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
lash................BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! !! NOW you gotta see it lash's way.da stinkier it is, the better the fish bite. he rubs his cranks under his armpits before each cast. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I used to but I hooked my self too many times. But it does work
Old 07-10-10, 04:37 PM   #11
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Now I had my key, but needed a spare. I just went to Tracker, and they handed me one back. No cutting another key. So I'd say take your boat to Tracker, and see if they let ya take a few outside and try them. Won't hurt nothing. IMO

BTW, good luck to ya fishing from that new boat you got sir!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:13 PM   #12
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

I called Tracker and they said they needed the serial number off of the key so obviously that isnt going to work so i went to a local marina so I can have the engine serviced just to be safe and they have master keys that they can use to find a key or they will just replace the ignition which will cost me about $50 so all in all not that big of a deal. Thanks for all the help and when I get my boat back I will be sure to post some pics.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.