Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-10, 05:26 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spro BBZ1 swimbaits. which one????

Ok. so heres the situation. at the lake i fish at i have started using 3.5 inch hollow belly swimbaits. they tend to work fantastically around the pads when i wake them quickly over the surface. one thing i have noticed is that i am not getting as many 3 pound and below sized fish. so far i lost a giant musky to a tailwalk, caught a 4 to 4.5 pound bass, and last night i had a five pounder jump and get off at the boat. the problerm i seem to be having is setting the hook. now im not giving up on this but the fish seem to absolutely LOVE swimbaits, i think its, something they havent seen alot of. anyway i am looking for something to have an easier hookset with and am now turning to hard plastic segmented swimbaits (again, not giving up on the soft ones). Anyway its really hard for me to make a decision between the spro bbz1 baby shad and the bbz1 shad swimbait- 4 inches. this decision is difficult for me to make for several reasons.
1: i think the baby shad may be better because the forage is about 2.5 to 3 inches in length, and the forage is shad and alewives
2: i think the baby shad may be better because they seem to want smaller forage- my friend was in the front throwing a spook and getting two pounders. he threw the spook in the same area as where i missed the five pounder. the fiver took the smaller choice......
3: the four incher will make a bigger wake in the water......
4: the four incher could bring me some big fish.....
i just cant decide. any suggestions??
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 05:30 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey man I use these and they are killer

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keite...page-KSIF.html

Add with this kind of hook and you are good

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamak...page-GSSL.html

Also if I am getting a lot of short strikes I will add a trailer hook to the main hook , the point goes through pretty close to the tail but because this is not a hollow bodied bait it has not really affected the swimming action the bait gives off . Not the answer you were looking for but i hope it helps a bit

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 05:31 PM   #3
bassinbob

Get them both because as the year goes on the forage gets bigger.
Old 07-18-10, 05:38 PM   #4
toppwatr

Jim, those baits do look killer. They look like they should have some great action.
Bob, if i could i would but im just a kid. a kid without 40 bucks!! Hahaha so thats why i'm looking for just one. but now that you mention it that pushes me more toward the 4 incher. i think that could be a good choice because i would like to use it throughout the fall also. and its not like they wouldn't take something just because it is four inches right? i mean the spook was catching them..... still a hard decision though. I see balls of shad and alewives that are all around 3 inches so it is a hard decision for me to make. thanks
Old 07-18-10, 06:07 PM   #5
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe it will come down to whether you want quantity or quality.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that with the smaller bait you will catch more small fish, and with the large bait, you will get fewer fish, but they will be larger.
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 08:34 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off you are you using them strictly as wake baits? or are you also using them as sinkers? If you're using it as both, I'd got with Tru-Tungsten swimbait, it's both a wake bait, and a sinker. If it's just a wake bait, I like the BBZ 4". Gives off a very good wake and I've caught some nice fish burning it and stopping it right by mats.

If you can, get one of each in the BBZ. I like it better than my 4" TT. The colors are also better on it unless you want to represent a blue gill, otherwise look at the TT, better blue gill color.

I'd also like to get a bigger 5" for the fall, just the right size for then, not to big, not to small!

Love my little swimbait, they can be killer at times!!

p.s. I make wake bait, and other topwaters, I'm not pro when it comes to paint jobs, but could maybe make you something for a decent price if you'd like!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-18-10 at 08:39 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 09:19 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd go with the 4", or even the newer 6" BBZ-1. You'll catch plenty of 2-3lbers on the 6" as well as more of the big ones.

However, if you go with the 6", you may need a swimbait combo to handle the bait. The 4" can be casted great on a flipping stick.

BB
Old 07-18-10, 10:35 PM   #8
toppwatr

Yea it is strictly for waking. And I think I am going to choose the 4 inch. Although I am sure I will have both sometime this year. Thanks a lot for your help everyone, and bass boss that's pretty cool how you make swimbaits, I may let you know if I ever need one!
Old 07-19-10, 04:21 PM   #9
bassinbob

toppwater check out Tackle Warehouse. They have the bbz 4" shad for $14. Just today though.
Old 07-19-10, 07:51 PM   #10
toppwatr

Hey yea I know I ordered it today. I got lucky I guess. I got it in natural shad. I think I want to fish swimbaits alot the rest of the year. I think it is something that the fish aren't as used to. Plus I love catching bass on big lures it is just so awesome. I know I may not get as many but hopefully when I do they should be nice. Anyway, just one more question: the spro bbz1 6" swimbait, do I have to have a big beefy rod to cast them? I have a KVD tour edition quantum rod that is medium heavy. Now, I'm not looking to launch it four football fields, but just flip it around with somewhat short casts. If I gently casted it with a sweeping or sidearm motion, would I be able to use one?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.