Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-10, 12:26 AM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Whats a good reel for frog fishing.

Im getting baitcasting a new setup, I have already decided on the rod that im getting but im not sure what reel is good for frog fishing.

Any suggestions?
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 07:48 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Any decent HS reel will work. If you let us know what your budget is, we can suggest specific reels.

BB
Old 08-30-10, 07:49 AM   #3
keithdog

I would recommend a Garcia Revo SX. Strong as a tank, 24 pounds of drag power, and a fast 6.4:1 ratio. Pair that up with 50 pound braid and your good to go. Thats what I've been using and it's been an exceptional performer! If you don't want to spend quite that much for a reel, the Revo S is $40.00 less but still gives you the strong drag and solid build, minus the megnetic breaks, which for frog fishing isn't really needed IMO.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 08:49 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Really doesnt matter what brand normally any reel with at least a 6/1/1 or faster will do providing it has a decent drag,one can more or less lock down and use braid on,as a backing over mono,or direct to a tie hole in the spool.$60 to 400,and some 60 dollar ones are better than some 80 dollar ones.They just dont last as long.
Think about what you are using it for,does a flipping switch apply,or 13 jeweled bearings in green slop,something you can disassemble easily as needs to be cleaned more often,and does not weight 10 oz,as using it a long time.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 10:54 AM   #5
Bender

Last year I used an old Curado BSF but this year I switched to one of the new Curados. I like it because I can cast a county mile with it. One tip it don't put much backing on, just a little since I can cast down into it with 50# braid on.

The only downside to the Curado is the drag isn't quite strong enough to lock down. I'll probably change the washers soon since it is an easy upgrade and only costs a couple bucks.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 04:35 PM   #6
cassidyta

I throw my frogs on a Citica. No particular reason other than it was the one I spooled with braid. I have had no issues with it.
Old 08-30-10, 09:07 PM   #7
Bassboss

A High speed revo SX or STX (or revo premier if you could afford one) would probably be an awesome frog reel. 24 honkin pounds of drag. And a fast retrieve to go along. The duel cast control on the stx would be great too, I think.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.