Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-12, 12:27 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default C-rig, Jrob or anyone else that carries

Lets hear your thoughts on a Taurus PT 738 TCP Handgun. We are thinking about buying one for her carry gun.
Old 12-28-12, 12:56 PM   #2
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey bcklash..my two cents. A couple years back I purchased a Ruger LCP...kind of the brother to the TCP and a handful of Keltecs. It is slim and rugged so great for carrying. However, there are a few things that ultimately made me dislike the gun. First, the double action only trigger was long as ever and it was difficult to get an accurate shot off as you never knew when the hammer was going to "release". The other, the little framed 380 had too much of a kick where my wife wouldn't even shoot it. I have to admit myself that the webbing of my hand was sore as hell the day after sending a couple boxes down range...just getting used to the gun.

I would reccomend a Glock 26, PPK, or maybe even the Bersa Thunder 380 before the TCP/LCP/Keltec micro guns. I personally own and carry the Glock 26 and it is small, compact, and tough as ever. Even in a 9mm, that gun is a DREAM to shoot all day long.

Hope this helps buddy.
Old 12-28-12, 01:20 PM   #3
bcklash

Thanks MO. Pretty much what I'm hearing from my local buds.
Old 12-28-12, 05:38 PM   #4
Jrob78

I agree with MO. Those little guns are great pocket guns but not much fun to shoot. They also aren't very accurate (in most people's hands) much past 3 or 4 yards. Another bad thing about those micro pistols is they don't usually offer much for sights. Add all those things up and they aren't very good guns for beginners or people who might not shoot much.

I carry a Glock 27, it's the same as the 26 only in .40. A gun this size is much more pleasant to shoot and still very concealable. My dad bought a Ruger LC9 6 months or so ago, it is bigger than the LCP and chambered in 9mm. The nice thing about this gun is it's very, very thin. It is very concealable and should fit in a purse nicely. It's large enough to get a good grip and shoot comfortably while still being a small gun. It's also relatively affordable.
Old 12-28-12, 06:09 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ghlight=taurus It's not the same gun your talking about Ron, but this experience was enough for me to never deal with Taurus again.

I have a Springfield XD sub compact in .40 and I love it. It's probably about the same size as the Glock that Joe is talking about. To me this size of frame is the perfect blend between being big enough to shoot comfortably and accuratley but also being small enough to conceal. A few months back I bought Britney a Kel-Tec .380, and while it's a good little pocket gun it's also not something you would want to go out and burn a lot of lead through. It's a little snappy because it's such a small frame and at 21 feet (required shooting distance for CCW permit in Missouri) I can hit a 9" target every shot but not with any kind of groups. My XD has been absolutley flawless and although it has more recoil it's a lot more comfortable to shoot. Plus I get pretty tight groups with it.
Old 12-28-12, 06:11 PM   #6
lilmule

Taurus is a good gun I had a pt 22 same thing da always meant for close range self defense not plinking.
I would not carry a glock as no safety,fires from half cock not a true da as no restrike capability,for off duty leo well trained great light gun.
The bersa thunder does take some breaking in for less money either 32acp,or 9x18 mak in a com block surplus,looks like the bersa as both are ppk copies.
MBP -32acp or pa 63 in 9x18 mak both look alike a great deal other than caliber,strong da pull but usable sa sweet about 180 for the 32 and 225 for the 9x18.
My pa63

Safety is a decocker,mid pos is detent or with sear tilted still will fire,can be carried safety on or off if da.
Strongly suggest if intent is to carry take a few brush up classes,pull gun finger outside of trigger area always as in idpa matches.
The mak is snappy 240 fpe but not jarring.The 32 is sweet with euro ammo 160-170 fmi or jhp 205 fpe depending upon the mfg sellier and belliot or fioochi.Most american 32 acp is rated 130 or less.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-28-12 at 06:18 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 06:30 PM   #7
Jrob78

The Makarov is a great little pistol. I used to know a website that sold them cheaply but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The ammo is still readily available also. The issue (if you want to call it that) is they are military surplus guns from overseas. It also might be tough to find modern self defense ammo in that cartridge. The Bersa is another PPK clone that I've heard nothing but good things about. I've never actually handled one though.

I also wouldn't overlook a light weight snub nose revolver. You can load them with mild .38's and have a pleasant gun to shoot. They are very concealable and virtually maintenance free. You only get 5 shots but that's probably all you would need anyway.
Old 12-28-12, 06:33 PM   #8
bcklash

Thanks Guys
Old 12-28-12, 10:48 PM   #9
Tavery5

Couple of .380's that I have owned or shot, that I liked a lot. The S&W Bodyguard, and the Sig P238. The P238 is a little more expensive but is tops in .380 in my opinion.

I have a Sprinfield XDS it is a subcompact single stack .45, little more kick than the .380, but a lot more knockdown power. I also own a Glock 19 compact 9MM and a Sig P2022 9MM, the 9MM are slightly more enjoyable to shoot, but the .45 makes me feel safe.
Old 12-28-12, 11:24 PM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The Makarov is a great little pistol. I used to know a website that sold them cheaply but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The ammo is still readily available also. The issue (if you want to call it that) is they are military surplus guns from overseas. It also might be tough to find modern self defense ammo in that cartridge. The Bersa is another PPK clone that I've heard nothing but good things about. I've never actually handled one though.

I also wouldn't overlook a light weight snub nose revolver. You can load them with mild .38's and have a pleasant gun to shoot. They are very concealable and virtually maintenance free. You only get 5 shots but that's probably all you would need anyway.
Going to look at a Bersa .380 In the morning.
Old 12-28-12, 11:45 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Going to look at a Bersa .380 In the morning.
My buddy shoots the Bersa thunder. I did not like the gun myself, very long, and very heavy DA trigger pull. The SA trigger was much better but overall not pleasant to shoot in my opinon.
Old 12-29-12, 08:22 AM   #12
lilmule

Its that way,strong da pull , so untrained people dont set it off prior to wanting to,strong da pull usefull if someone 20 ft away or closer is a threat,after once its sa 4-4.5 pull.It does take a break in period as will jam a few times so use fmj to start.While not small were or are copies of the pocket pistol of yesteryear-coat or trench coat pocket not small pocket-think cargo.
In todays world really a mid size frame,after breakin.Learn to decock with it pointed safely like outdoors,def load one jhp in chamber long da pull and the rest fmj available as sa.You can have someone work on that da unfortunately also makes the sa like hair trigger,best to leave as is as usable in a self def situation.At 11 yards the longest one shoots for a ccw permit,with many closer you should be able to keep 48 out of 48 on target,if not then go down in caliber.For the test or practice all fmj.
Recoil isnt bad size wise its a tad larger than plastic short cc pistols also cheaper and safer than many.Given time one can always cock it for sa and or plinking.
Dont over look a bersa thunder 32 if they have one,if discharged without ear protection it isnt so bad and just when does one wear ear protection when cc,shoot something larger one at times is slow to reshoot.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-29-12 at 08:37 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 12:17 AM   #13
bcklash

What do you guys think about this little beauty?
Old 01-12-13, 12:25 AM   #14
Jrob78

I am somewhat familiar with that Gun. As far as I know it's a good gun, especially for the price. It has a reputation for being reliable, (which is about the most important aspect of a self defense pistol) and accuracy is on par with other striker fire handguns. The one complaint about that gun is that it has a horrible trigger, very gritty and long. That said, it's one of those things that just takes practice to get used to. It's also not a very small pistol.

Shop around and see if you can find a lower price.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...023+4294965779
Old 01-12-13, 01:27 PM   #15
bcklash

This is what I bought

Old 01-12-13, 03:15 PM   #16
Tavery5

Perfection
Old 01-12-13, 03:16 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
This is what I bought
That's awesome! Congratulations, you're going to love it! I like the Gen 3's more than the Gen 4's, I think they look better. Add a Pearce extension on one the mags and you'll be good to go.

Just FYI, any Glock .40 magazine will fit in any Glock .40 pistol. You can buy hi-cap mags that will function perfectly. I have a couple of 15rnd magazines, they just stick out a few inches.

These are the things I've added for concealed carry. The grip extension makes shooting much more comfortable, it keeps your pinky from hanging off the gun.
Pearce Grip extension
http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-26

The night sights are a great add on, mine are still bright 12 years after being installed. They really allow you to get a good sight picture in total darkness.
Trijicon night sights
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc...php?pid=GL101Y

I've used Comp-Tac holsters since day 1. I've also recommended them to several friends who have been happy with theirs. I prefer the IWB style holsters for concealment.
Comp-Tac holsters
http://www.comp-tac.com/
Old 01-12-13, 06:55 PM   #18
MO_CPA

Hell YA 'Lash. Couldn't have done better man.
Old 01-12-13, 06:56 PM   #19
MO_CPA

x2 on what Jrob said. Also, I have a blackhawk paddle holster for range shooting and etc.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.