Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-13, 10:56 PM   #26
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Who luvs ya, brutha?
Not the lotto.
Old 01-15-13, 10:58 PM   #27
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Not the lotto.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, kemoslobby...

I'm still roofin
Old 01-15-13, 11:00 PM   #28
1/4 stick

Quote:
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, kemoslobby...

I'm still roofin
That sucks like rusty bacon.
Old 01-15-13, 11:03 PM   #29
MallenManson

Lol. Not as much as a rusty toilet seat!
Old 01-15-13, 11:07 PM   #30
MallenManson

Y know....when I joined up here...09 I think....I thought 1 spinning rod was an arsenal.
I really don't like you guys at all!
Old 01-15-13, 11:21 PM   #31
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
In my observation this site has just about run its course. I joined a few years ago and found it to be a site full of fishing related information. We had great discussions about techniques, fishing gear, many many things related to fishing. What it has become in my opinion is a place for a small group of regulars to hang out and see how each other are doing. 90% of the post are off topic and political based, nothing wrong with that, but it does not make much of a fishing site.

Think about it seriously, if you were a new member searching for a site to discuss matters related to fishing, would this be your first choice. I know it's not mine any longer.
I will continue to visit this site and post ocassionally but for me, it has lost its appeal.

I hope someone can get it back on track, or change the name to something more appropriate.
To an extent I agree with your observation. The quality of discussion is no longer quite there, and perhaps we should take that as a challenge to try and be more observant and incisive with our posts and topics.

I think for one thing, we sometimes stray towards being too BPS oriented, or gear oriented. You can get that info from a trip to the den of iniquity.

Tactics, experience, strategy, ethics are the subjects that are more valuable, because they are soooo much harder to acquire knowledge of. And I am the first to admit, as an angler, with regard to some of the tactical ins and outs, I am not proficient enough to contribute what I would like. But I'd like to try and help.
Old 01-15-13, 11:25 PM   #32
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
To an extent I agree with your observation. The quality of discussion is no longer quite there, and perhaps we should take that as a challenge to try and be more observant and incisive with our posts and topics.

I think for one thing, we sometimes stray towards being too BPS oriented, or gear oriented. You can get that info from a trip to the den of iniquity.

Tactics, experience, strategy, ethics are the subjects that are more valuable, because they are soooo much harder to acquire knowledge of. And I am the first to admit, as an angler, with regard to some of the tactical ins and outs, I am not proficient enough to contribute what I would like. But I'd like to try and help.
Like this idea Billy!
Old 01-15-13, 11:25 PM   #33
1/4 stick

Quote:
Y know....when I joined up here...09 I think....I thought 1 spinning rod was an arsenal.
I really don't like you guys at all!
bwahahahahahaha...
Old 01-15-13, 11:29 PM   #34
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

true. And Mallen and I are giving an example of how threads go astray in this one. I appoligize.
Old 01-15-13, 11:33 PM   #35
kennethdaysale

Quote:
In my observation this site has just about run its course. I joined a few years ago and found it to be a site full of fishing related information. We had great discussions about techniques, fishing gear, many many things related to fishing. What it has become in my opinion is a place for a small group of regulars to hang out and see how each other are doing. 90% of the post are off topic and political based, nothing wrong with that, but it does not make much of a fishing site.

Think about it seriously, if you were a new member searching for a site to discuss matters related to fishing, would this be your first choice. I know it's not mine any longer.
I will continue to visit this site and post ocassionally but for me, it has lost its appeal.

I hope someone can get it back on track, or change the name to something more appropriate.
T Even though I've been here a short time compared to most of the "regulars" I do understand what you're saying, but................... I've got to believe that there are tons of "guests" that we see viewing threads in the Who's Online section every single day that have no desire to register but are soaking up valuable stuff. Before I registered I browsed the forums for months looking and trying to learn new stuff and little tid bits. Even with my years of experience I'm always looking for an edge or insight or trick or just a diffrerent perspective. Over time and after reading hundreds of posts I began to feel "at home" here and could tell that were some guys on here that I liked and who loved bass fishing as much as I did.(you included) So I joined to truly be a part. There's something about being in a group of likeminded people that has a certain draw. Thats why churches or even bars for that matter are often so crowded with "regulars". Most of the people I am forced to interact with on a daily basis wouldn't know a wacky worm from a sludge hammer, so I crave the ____________. (fill in the blank yourself)

Yes It can get a little tiresome to explain rod choices to a beginner for the third time in as many months.......but oh how I wish I could have gotten some patient mentoring from experienced guys when I was trying to learn.
Old 01-15-13, 11:35 PM   #36
MallenManson

Nice post, kenneth!
Old 01-15-13, 11:36 PM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
true. And Mallen and I are giving an example of how threads go astray in this one. I appoligize.
Donald started it! I think.....
Old 01-15-13, 11:38 PM   #38
WTL

Should we perhaps have a post or discussion - "the future of Bassfishin.com" where we have a frank discussion of where we want to take this board, to make it more valuable to everyone (both beginners and experts)?

PS, I think we have beaten politics absolutely to death over the years on here.
Old 01-15-13, 11:45 PM   #39
joedog

Quote:

Everyone is welcome to their OWN opinion.
I'm a fairly new member as addicted to this HOBBY as much as probably any fishermen God has allowed to discover our passion.
I in turn have not only SHARED WITH but truly ENJOY the members and the style of this site.

I VEIW MANY forums. NEVER JOIN!!!!
It's almost always the same, couple anglers state something and the rest of the post whether they agree or disagree....ABSOLUTLY NOTHING NEW!
No 'out of the box' thinking WHAT SO EVER.

As far as newbies, google any bass question and you'll almost always find a BF.com listing. This is caused by traffic and searches and visits. Hence, YES not only would I visit here but seems like others may agree?
Tony you have made it very clear TO ME how little you approve of my style of sharing and beliefs in ENJOYING and laughing at almost ANY situation.

Fishermen do more than fish.
People share ideas/beliefs/feelings where they feel comfortable. Unfortunate for you, the members here are COMFORTABLE.
Me TOO!

I hope you find what your looking for and Tony you have to much knowledge and experience to not be missed. But life is what it is.
Old 01-16-13, 08:10 AM   #40
keithdog

I think Ken and Joe pretty much hit it on the head. Yes, there are other forums one can go to, but NONE of them is going to offer the "family feel" and comradery that this site has to offer. Like Joe said, the others have a small handfull of guys who contribute and everyone else just reads what they have to say. Also, I've noticed in other forums, they are not very friendly at all! Bassfishin.com is a refreshing change of pace. Yes, it is a fishing site for sharing ideas, and thats what we do here. But we also share all sorts of non fishing related items as well. I personally like that.
As far as the newbies and the same old questions being asked, I don't mind that either. As "oldtimers", I feel it is up to us to provide the dirrection the young guns need to keep the sport of bass fishing moving foreward. If we don't who will? The folks at PETA? No, it is our responsibilty to provide new bass fisherman/women the guidence they need.
And I dare anyone to find a bass fishing forum where the members become so tight that they can come to each other openly and ask for prayers in times of great need. We are a family here in the Bassfishin.com forums. We are here to put an arm around each other when times get tough. And that extends beyond the internet. YOur not going to find another community like we have here at Bassfishin.com
Old 01-16-13, 09:01 AM   #41
nobass

here here well said keith could not agree more
Old 01-16-13, 10:58 AM   #42
bassboogieman

Like many, I started here years ago while looking at various fishing related sites. It wasn't as big as some others, but has gown and if Kevin gets this site staightened out it will continue to do so - not a bad thing at all. But like some other sites, I found some friendships forming, slowly over time. Some of them, quite honestly, started out with some head butting others just came out in a more natural progression.

There are several forums here, most deal with fishing, but there is one specifically for non-fishing related posts. Some, obviously are more busy than others but one thing I've found - if you ask a question you will get help.

As I said, spending time here, friendships or affinity for other members is a natural and almost unavoidable progression as is aversion to others that seem to intentionally create controversy - for that the "ignore list" is very helpfull. Once those friendships form, the conversation moves from just an exchange of information (dry), and includes some banter that you would probably engage in when face-to-face. The interjections, humor, teasing (I AM GUILTY OF ALL OF IT) are how conversations among friends go.

If it seems "certain people" are engaging in conversations other than fishing - well they/we are, that's what friends do. BF.com is a common meeting place. That's the basis for the alternative location that was announced/discussed last week, to keep the "family" intact and in contact - NOT to undermine Kevin or BF.com or alienate other members. I hope new members will see (over time) BF.com offers more than a technical information exchange concerning fishing. It offers that, but it can and does offer more, if you are willing to accept and engage in it. If not, then use it for whatever purpose that suits your needs and disreguard the rest.

I didn't join and participate in BF.com to make friends or expand my "social network", but it happened. It was a natural progression for me and it's happened on other websites devoted to fishing, boating or kayaking. It friendships happen - for me that is a bonus, and friends usually have conversations when they meet. Most of us here don't meet face-to-face very often and that conversation occurs here, some on PM some in e-mails. If it's nothing too personal I see no problem with that occuring, if I'm not interested I won't follow the thread. This website offers opportunities - those you choose to partake of is entirely your own - but it was getting difficult with the recent issues with the spam and BOT's many were becomming aggrivated with that (weeding through the SPAM). Now that it appears that it will addressed/fixed, BF.com can return to "normal". For that I am thankful.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.