Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-13, 04:40 AM   #1
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What I am looking at for my CCW (for when I get my CCW)

Okay I am looking at two pistols for my CCW. The first is:

This is a Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40VE or SW9VE. I have watched several videos on this gun and the only thing that seems to be a downside is the long heavy trigger but everyone said that w/ practice you will get used to it.

The 2nd is:

I haven't found out a lot about this gun but it seem to be very nice, This is a used gun and comes w/ two mags.

Any info and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I loved reading the knowledgeable responses Dad got so I figured I'd do the same.
Old 01-16-13, 07:41 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Adam, so many choices. I would suggest you shoot a few that you really have interest in before you buy. Different brands and different calibers. If you have a range relatively close they often have rentals that you can try. Like fishing gear or anything else everyone has an opinion and it's good to listen, but only putting one in your hand will tell you if that choice will be good for you.

MY OPINON: I definitely prefer a double action. That said, I also prefer an exposed hammer, that way I can cock it and my trigger pull is the same (when target shooting), easy (large) to operate safety and the newer guns that have an indicator to alert you that a round is chambered. For CWP I prefer the compacts, the full size guns are big (harder to conceal) and heavy. The newer polymer frames help a lot with the weight. Have fun looking, it is important to find one that is comfortable in you hand and to carry on your person. I bought a new one last spring and the picture follows, Ruger P345 (.45)

In this picture the gun has a chambered round, the indicator I mentioned is very easy to see at a glance. It is just behind the ejection port, there is no doubt, when you look at this weapon, that it is ready to go.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-16-13 at 07:50 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 07:40 PM   #3
Jrob78

To me, a CC gun comes down to 2 or 3 main things. The first 2 are about equal on the importance scale. 1 is concealability, (size and weight) 2 is reliability. It's important to have a good idea how you plan to carry your handgun. I carry in a IWB holster at about 3:30, on my right hip. Because of this, I have to carry a fairly small gun (Glock 27) or it wouldn't be comfortable and it would print (be visible through my shirt) badly. So, how do you plan to carry your gun? A gun that's too large, too heavy or just plain uncomfortable to carry, will get left at home.

Reliability is important for obvious reasons, your gun must go bang every time you pull the trigger. Today's handguns, for the most part, are very reliable. It's a good idea to shoot a lot of your carry ammo through your gun to make sure it's going to feed reliably.

I don't know much about the Colt you have pictured but I just did a quick search, I would stay away from that one!
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/usa...an-2000-e.html

By all accounts, the Sigma is nice budget friendly pistol. The bad trigger and the larger size are about the only negatives I can come up with. This could be a good choice, depending on how you're going to carry it.

The Ruger that Bruce recommended is a great choice as well. Ruger makes awesome handguns that are reasonably priced. Take a look at the LC9 also, it is a smaller, concealed carry handgun that also has the loaded chamber indicator.

Some other guns to look at are the Smith and Wesson M&P line, the Springfield XD line, Kahr Arms, Sig Sauer and Glock. Taurus is another handgun brand that some people love and some people loathe. I've never owned a Taurus but would probably buy one if it fit my needs. Like Bruce said, try and shoot as many as you can and have fun looking. Also, think really hard about how you intend to carry, that will dictate what size gun you should buy.
Old 01-16-13, 08:23 PM   #4
BassinBandit

I looked at the Smith & Wesson today. I liked the feel of it but of course I couldn't shoot it. We don't have anywhere around here where you can rent guns but I have to uncles who have many guns so I plan on checking out some of theirs. I will get a chance to fire theirs. After digging a little more into the Colt I cam up with the same conclusion. One guy says its a good gun but since they don't make the guns or parts anymore so if something were to break I would be screwed. So I have decided against that one. I don't plan on carrying this gun on my person but mainly in my vehicle since most places I go I can't carry a gun at all.
Old 01-16-13, 08:47 PM   #5
lilmule

Vehicle guns,need to rugged and cheap,one they get bumped around so discount the 1800 dollar kimbers.Two size is of little importance when the vehicle carries it weight as well is a plus as little recoil from steel full size compared to small plastic wonders.
So what ever suits your fancy that you like and wont be out to much if it gets car jacked without you in it.
I carry a hipoint jhp in the truck then boat as can use shotshell on cotton mouths,not something id carry cocked n locked but surely cheap enough 45 acp at 180 bucks.
For cc I have a pa63 9x18 mak and a llama 32 acp,with added clothing ,summer im a 22 guy as thin 130 lbs.
CC permit here covers open or concealed one must have to do either.
Think reliable but think cheap when its a truck gun.
Make sure you can operate prior to purchasing,9mm pocket pistols etc hurt the hands and you wont have on ear plugs if you use it in an emergency.A 229 dollar taurus or other import 38 snubbie,would also fit the truck and wear well with it.Most of those in the pics are about 500 and will show the banging.They are good pistols,none the less,just to pretty to car/truck carry.
Parts are available for that sw but its more a collectors item,and be a real loss if lost to someone else.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-16-13 at 08:56 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 10:58 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My choice between the two is the Sigma. I have heard several people complain about the trigger pull on it, but other than that I haven't heard any complaints. I am pretty sure you can get a trigger job done on it to improve the trigger pull as well, and if that's the case I would do that for sure because it will only make you shoot better with it. My carry gun is a Springfield XD sub compact .40S&W. I love this gun! It fits my hands perfect and is just a blast to shoot. I don't know how many rounds I have fired out of this gun but it's a lot and I have never even had a hint of a malfunction of any kind. Nothing against Glock because they make excellent guns, but I personally know of 2 people who had Glocks and had jamming issues with them. I would trust a Glock in a heartbeat if they felt better in my hands because I know that these problems are rare, but for some reason I just can't get comfortable with them in my hands. Another thing about the Springfield line is that if you have issues with finding a gun that is comfortable in your hands I am pretty sure you can switch out plates on the XDM's to get a custom fit. I'm not trying to talk you into a Springfield, just letting you know how much I love mine and recommending you at least look at them if you can to see if they suit you.

Britney has a Kel Tec P3AT (.380) that I will be carrying a lot in the summer when I am wearing clothes that won't allow me to conceal my XD. These little guns are amazing conceal weapons because of their light weight and small frame. I can drop it in my pocket and it just vanishes without printing at all. The Ruger LCP is pretty much the same frame, at least as far as size is concerned. Because of the small frame these guns are a little snappy to shoot at least for some women, but I don't find the recoil to be bad at all. Happy shopping, there is nothing like looking at guns.
Old 01-16-13, 11:00 PM   #7
Jrob78

Mule is right. Get something you won't be heart broken over if it gets stolen. Size can be to your advantage here, might as well get something with a high capacity (while you still can.)
Old 01-17-13, 12:12 AM   #8
lilmule

The small light easily hidden sub compacts are superb for cc as hide so easily,yet same size detracts from the purpose each inch off the barrel more or less reduces fpe and fps same as reducing caliber.A p3 380 with corbon hottest stuff made due to its short barrel isnt as powerfull as my 32 acp llama especial with its .3.5 barrel using sellier and belliot.
And a beretta bobcat using 32 acp corbon rated 160 puts out 132 fpe,meaning smaller shorter means less powerfull.All these are 300 plus and for 250-300 can get a good used gun suitable say 7 in long mid sized that wont recoil as much and gain in value not decrease as a new one would first few years.Com block surplus guns are all over the place for 250 in 380 or 9 x18 mak,police tradeins in just about any caliber,same money.
Truck gun doesnt need to be 6 ozs or fit in a 5 in pocket,so carry a howlitzer.
Want something extra buy one that will fit in a coat pocket just dont forget its there and walk in somewhere its banned by law.Have a friend thats always forgetting his 9mm db9 is in his back pocket,lil bugger kicks like a mule id rather shoot my 45.
You dont however want a 5 in gun in say a 12 in center console to hard to find when needed.The ruger is a great gun but again think cheap,and reliable,new guns all almost require a break in period,used ones dont they either work or dont.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-17-13 at 12:18 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:16 PM   #9
IUbass

Just purchased the SD 40VE a few nights ago. After all my looking I found that to be the best. Ill let ya know how it turns out!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-13, 12:07 AM   #10
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUbass View Post
Just purchased the SD 40VE a few nights ago. After all my looking I found that to be the best. Ill let ya know how it turns out!

That would be great! I am interested to hear how ya like it. Mule I think this will be a good gun to keep in the truck and if I decide to get a gun to carry with me I plan on getting a sub compact or a Springfield like Rig mentioning. (I have done a little looking up on it Rig).
Old 01-18-13, 10:51 AM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if i get this job and i am traveling all across the country, i am DEFINANTLY getting me a handgun. i like the RUGER double action too bruce. safety is easy, balanced real good too. i can't hold a .40 cal, recoil is too much for me since i am not that familier with handguns. so i will be getting the 9mm. hopefully with a clip htat holds more than 10 rounds. i handled one for quiet a while a couple years ago.i loved it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.