Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-05, 05:35 PM   #1
youngbassman77
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Whats a decent rod/reel setup?

Hey guys...

I don't really have a rod/reel set up... So I was hoping that you guys could recommend me some ideas... I know Shimano and Daiwa are good, or thats what I was told... I would prefer something with a baitcast reel... Please keep in mind that I am a college student, so my funds are limited... Do you think I can get something for $100 ??? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 06:10 PM   #2
texasnitro

if u want a reel for about 100 u can get a quantom pt accurist. its a really really nice reel. then any rod is pretty good.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 07:21 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

YBM, there are a number of good combos in that price range. If you have a sporting goods store near you they often have a number of combos in a range of prices. Ask 100 fishermen for a rod/reel recommendation and you will get 100 different answers. What I would recommend is go someplace that has combos and pick up several and see which one feels right. That way you will know exactly what you are getting.
Old 10-07-05, 07:58 PM   #4
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reb has some good pointers. I personally challenge you to find a better reel than the Rhino Baitcasters for the money. For 35 dollars you get a high speed reel, and team it up with either a Quantum Tourney Rod or Berkley Lightnin' Rod. I prefer a 6ft 6in Medium Baitcaster, seein as I normally crank and spinnerbait on it.
Old 10-07-05, 08:38 PM   #5
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

Take PowerBass's advise and get a Rhino. It's a good solid reel and made by Zebco (Zero Hour Bomb Company). They've been producing reels since 1949Almost as long as I am old. LOL. Your local Walmart normally stocks them. Good luck !!!!!!!
Old 10-07-05, 08:54 PM   #6
Raul

For a 100 bucks I would noth think it too much: Daiea Procaster 6+1/BPS Bionic Blade combo or Extreme reel/Extreme rod combo.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:35 PM   #7
buzzdog
BassFishin.Com Member

I have two of the Rhino reels and have been very happy with them, no problems. Ihave them both on a Berkley lighting rod 6 foot 6 in. Med/ Hev. WalMart has them both. Happy Fishing
Old 10-07-05, 10:05 PM   #8
H2O

I bought a "Daiwa® Procaster® 6+1 Series/Bionic Blade™ XPS™ Combos" last month. It worked great.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

$99.94 (<100 )

7' MH is my recommendation.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 11:05 PM   #9
HulaPopr

A good beginning rod and reel would be the BPS bionic blade with the shimano sahara, 6'6"MH action for about 90.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 08:12 AM   #10
pig n jig

I know I am not going to tell you to buy Shimano, right Lizards ? You are the one who is going to be using the combo, buy what you want to.I will try to help you with questions on a certain product if you need more information.I can tell you the Daiwa procaster 6+1 is a very good reel, I have got 6 of them left, and they work flawlessly.In my opinion I would stay with a good brand name rod like Castaway, American Rodsmith,Airrus,Falcon, All Star. For the money, your getting an outstanding rod for the long haul.I hope this helps, P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 08:16 AM   #11
Fishie

Rhino's are good I got one that works really well or get a BPS extreme reel.
Old 10-08-05, 10:53 AM   #12
KH.

have you ever used a mitchell avocet,yeah its not a baitcaster,buts it is probally one of the best rod reels setup i have used.and best thing is,its just for you.it only cost 30 bucks here!!i would get two of those if i were you,and then spend the rest on tackle
Old 10-08-05, 12:07 PM   #13
crhye250r
BassFishin.Com Member

I just picked up a BPS Extreme Light Reel, and BPS Extreme Rod Combo (7' MH) for $99. It has been working really well. Cant' go wrong with it. Just go to your local sporting goods store and pick out what feels best to you.

Clay
crhye250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 12:16 PM   #14
youngbassman77

Thanks everyone... I just wanted to see what most of u are using so I know what to look/shop around for... So we'll see what feels good and works for me...
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 12:22 PM   #15
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

You should check out emerald rods. I have 3 of them!
Old 10-08-05, 01:38 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:
So we'll see what feels good and works for me...
That is the key-get what is right for you, not what might be right for someone else. Case in point-several have mentioned a BPS rod. Good rods, but I dislike the hump handle they have where some people love them.
Old 10-08-05, 01:41 PM   #17
KH.

fishing is just like playin a guitar,i cant play on some because im not use to it,yet ill play another one and it feels like is made for me
Old 10-08-05, 02:56 PM   #18
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbassman77
Thanks everyone... I just wanted to see what most of u are using so I know what to look/shop around for... So we'll see what feels good and works for me...
Actually, those that I recommended are not what I use, what I use is........... expensive........ but I do know a couple of things on what I recommend.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 03:06 PM   #19
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Actually, those that I recommended are not what I use, what I use is........... expensive........ but I do know a couple of things on what I recommend.
Haha. I have my expensive St.Croix rods but I also like my 3 emerald rods.
Old 10-10-05, 05:33 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I know I am not going to tell you to buy Shimano, right Lizards ? You are the one who is going to be using the combo, buy what you want to.I will try to help you with questions on a certain product if you need more information.I can tell you the Daiwa procaster 6+1 is a very good reel, I have got 6 of them left, and they work flawlessly.In my opinion I would stay with a good brand name rod like Castaway, American Rodsmith,Airrus,Falcon, All Star. For the money, your getting an outstanding rod for the long haul.I hope this helps, P N J
Had to make sure I got this one in quotes before it disappeared. I was gonna quote your other one on the reel question, but it vanished
Anyway, there are many different combo's in the price range you are wanting. Pick it up, and if you like it then buy it. If it's your first one, I would recommend a Medium Heavy rod, other than that any one you like. When you can afford better stuff then get better stuff. That combo will catch any bass the exspensive ones will, as long as the drag isn't crap.

Lizards
Old 10-10-05, 05:50 PM   #21
zooker

when i first got the bass bug i used several old shakespear rods -this was pre berkly lighting rod era- that coast about 30-45 bucks new. but i knew better than to put my money in to a cheap piece of crap reel nor did i want the most exspensive. i got a 400 ex quatum reel.which was about $70 new then.
the point is a cheap rod will do you ALMOST as good as a high end one. but never skrimp on your choice of a good reel ever. i would choose a reel with a minimum of at least 5 bearings.-the more bearings the smoother-
now i use a mixture of quatum mag gears and quatum pt reels with an odd ambassador tossed in. and am a stout suporter of fenwick rods.

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.