Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-08, 06:41 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default the new bassfishing shows

have you watched any latly?? i spoke to 3dkicker the other night about this and i tend to agree with him.. these new fishing shows don't show you crap.. watch one and look for details.. such as retrive speed,location, or struture they are fishing..

i'll tell you this very few if any will show you that.. you'll always see the guy holding the rod and winding but the reel handle is hidden so that you can't tell what speed he is retriving.. i seen one with a guy fishing a floating worm in a "stump flat"on lake wylie. funny i fished that same spot before there is not a stump within 1/2 mile of there..it actually is a rock vein sticks up about 10-12" in about 4 feet of water..the shaw grigsby show shot on tuckertown. he says he is fishing a "hydrilla flat with stumps in it. which is true but every fish he caught came off the channel drop... he failed to memtion dat..

have you all notice this??

zooker
Old 12-23-08, 07:17 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zook, i have noticed the same thing with fishing shows, and not just the newer ones either. They hardly tell you where they are fishing, retreive speed, or the specifics on the lures. (Brand, model, colors, hook size). And you just gotta love Bill Dance bass fishing, because he is always on a private lake or pond, and you never see anyone else fishing... I still watch them because well, i dont ice fish (if i cant sling a bait with the rod, i don't fish)

Ryan
Old 12-23-08, 07:43 PM   #3
bassinbob

Nobody will watch if they aren't catching fish. I'd have to agree with ya zook. I guess it might be "too hard" for them if they were surrounded by onlookers. Can't give up their real secrets. I guess the closest thing to real is A day on the lake series.
Old 12-23-08, 07:44 PM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

gotta love bill dance aways fishing private stuff, notice too that he ONLY catches big fish with the editing. at least he does the "viewer questions" shows now and then that will explain stuff. my problem with them is the nascar mentality of selling sponsor stuff. roland martin is the worst, "let me get my boca grips and get this fish into my ranger boat with the mercury motor!"
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 10:22 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

I know my #1 question is usually "what bait are they throwin"? Then I sit and wait for the information . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 10:41 PM   #6
CMorg

They dont show up around my local lakes , I guess a bunch of 10" bass dont excite them much...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 11:50 PM   #7
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Has anybody got these shows on dvd and sre they full of the same advertisements??Are they worth the money and any good reccomendations?

Merry Christmas all
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 09:29 AM   #8
BassinBandit

I really like the The Bass Pros but I dont think its on anymore I think you can only get it at bass pro shops but it is good. I also recently got a dvd from BASS that they are going to make a fishing DVD library so I will have to check it out and let you guys know on that. I do agree with everything zook said and especially what lowrider said.
Old 12-24-08, 09:42 AM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

I feel these days there is only 1 show that actully contains information. That is in-fishermen TV.
Old 12-24-08, 11:55 AM   #10
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I feel these days there is only 1 show that actully contains information. That is in-fishermen TV.
I agree100%. Those guys are the real deal. Everything from chunking and winding for bass to fly fishing for carp (which I love to do).

I think the shows I like the least, and won't watch for long, are the ones like Wayne "something-or-other" and Randy, the baseball player, do where they go with a guide or outfitter and spend the whole half hour BS'ing about the fishing or hunting giving you no information of any use other than the phone # of the guide. I also hate the shows that take some celebrity fishing. I won't watch those either.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 12:23 PM   #11
islandbass

I'll add Angler's Edge to In-Fisherman. The rest are infomercials that easily convince those not wise to the advertising to go out and buy each and every "magic, big bass-catching lure" highlighted in the show.

I don't have a problem with the advertising, but I have stopped watching most shows. I

The shows that do show you a reel/rod or two are the ones that sport Shimano gear, like angler's edge and jimmy houston's show. Bill Dance's show actually discloses the gear they use.
Old 12-24-08, 02:05 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I know some guys don't like it but, I like watching UMF. Although for learning stuff, In-Fisherman is the best. If I wanted to sit and watch people catch fish without helping me out, I could do that out on the lake.

BB
Old 12-24-08, 02:52 PM   #13
flippin4it

Who is the guy in the Ditch Witch boat........"Let me get on the trolling motor!!" guy? I swear he looks like he'll knock you out of the boat if you catch a fish and why does he feel the need to control the boat on a dead calm lake??????????? Charlie Moore, just a pond fisherman and that show went down hill fast........Now as for a good show, Angling Edge, In-Fisherman and Dave Mercer (terrible laugh,but a great show. Boy can fish!!)
Old 12-24-08, 03:39 PM   #14
bamabassman

none of these new shows are near as good as the old CHAMPIONSHIP FISHING show. remember that one? it "showed" you how to use the lures they fished that day.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 03:48 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like how Bill Dance will give you advice here or there, but I watched one show where he was in the plantation in Florida fishing for some Australian fish. It's a private fish farm that your not allowed to fish at, but he'll show ya how to catch them.

BB
Old 12-24-08, 05:25 PM   #16
Wishing2BFishing

"Charlie Moore, just a pond fisherman and that show went down hill fast...."

That show jumped the shark when they did the episode where Charlie dressed up like the Godfather and tried to imitate his voice, very poorly.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 05:52 PM   #17
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Another few weeks and the hunting shows will be off and the fishing shows will be aired. My favorite show is Bass Pros. I got last years DVD and will be ordering the '08 DVD with my winter order in Jan. Just a great show. They show lure, rod, reel, line, hookset, and retrieve. Yes, it's all BPS stuff, but who cares as I use a lot of their stuff, and the fishing knowledge is great.

Roland Martin will hawk anything and everything. When he did the NYC reservoir show with my friend Marty, who is a jig fanatic, he had to switch to 1 oz jig heads with Yammi Hula Grubs. Still they caught some real big ones over two days that was condensed down to a single 1/2 hours show.

Lindler's Angling Edge is pretty good, with plenty of good info.

Aaron Martin's needs to learn another phrase besides "let me get the trolling motor". Once past that, it's a decent fishing show.

Loved the In-Fisherman show, but my cable company doesn't carry it.

I take Bill Dance for what he is. Anyone can kill 'em on a private lake.

The rest I don't even bother with.

Lunkerville is a different type of show. Worth the watch as it's all about the ave Joe, not a pro.

Charlie Moore isn't a fishing show, it's more a game show. I'd stopped watching it a long time ago.
Old 12-24-08, 07:06 PM   #18
Jigger

They should rename it "Kill Charley Moore". I'd watch that!!!!!!!
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 09:43 PM   #19
rrw4258

The guy in the "Ditch Witch" boat is Aaron Marten. The show is Bass Edge. I too have noticed that he always wants to be in control of the trolling motor. Pretty good show, along with Bass Pros, Angling Edge, In-Fisherman, along with the Bassmaster tour show on ESPN, especially the end of the year shows. They pick the tournaments apart and tell what everyone was throwing and on what equipment...

Ryan
Old 12-25-08, 01:42 AM   #20
Tall

I got them all on my DVR, and pass all the COMM up and can watch a show in 10 minutes or so. I just looked and 131 on there taped now. I steadily delete and just keep the ones that I feel I learn from and want to review again on a slow rainy day. Several are reruns now so I haft delete most of them now.

I like to watch and learn if the show is worth a hoot. I like the bass masters elite guys the best. KVD is good on the cranks and they usually show what the guy was using and how he was fishing it to win the tourny at the end of the show.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 02:01 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Well, I know that Uncle Bill fishes those phophate pits down in North Florida (Bienville Plantation, you can fish it too for a hefty fee!). He does have his own lake in Southwestern Tennessee that has been a model for "managed" private water long before Ray Scott got into the lake designing business. Yes, folks can catch lots of quality bass in that environment but give the Devil his due, Bill is an encyclopedia of fishing knowledge, not just bassfishing! Aside from his regular shows that I haven't seen in a while now, I love his blooper episodes!

I'm with BB on the UMF series. I know there isn't a whole lot of stuff that can be "learned" from that show aside from last minute strategizing, but the format is fantastic. I love seeing two pros going head to head in the same boat and being restricted from "poaching" each other's water.

I do not care Roland Martin's shows at all, they are like a Carnival Midway booth, with pure "hawking" and very little fishing value!

Day in and Day out the best educational series is the In-fishermen-Critical Concepts. I pick up stuff from that show regardless of the species that they are fishing for. Great stuff!

Bottom line, however, if it comes on Saturday Morning then the odds are that I will be out fishing and not get to see them anyway! lol
Old 12-25-08, 02:16 PM   #22
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

one show that is coming back this spring is Classic Patterns. to me that is prob the best one that was on the air. you can still find the dvds for specific techniques. i miss Denny Brauers old show "Bass School"
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 08:45 PM   #23
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
have you watched any latly?? i spoke to 3dkicker the other night about this and i tend to agree with him.. these new fishing shows don't show you crap.. watch one and look for details.. such as retrive speed,location, or struture they are fishing..
zooker
The point was more about the tournament shows than the info-shows like Bill, Roland, or Orlando. You can watch the first 15 minutes of Bassmaster and maybe get three casts and one fish with very little information. Sometimes they give you an underwater picture or representation but Zook and I both know that what the pro's tell the production staff may not be entirely accurate. One pro I fished with doesn't learn the names of the places he fishes so he doesn't have to tell the press where he's fishing.
And I do understand that the pro's are caught because if they give up too much info then the area they're fishing is crushed by locals. Same with the video, I can watch any tournament on the Potomac and 90% of the time tell you exactly where the fish are being caught and what cover or structure they are fishing. So the video's have to stay tight and they don't show you any of the normal background shots. Then when they do pull back it's mostly showing you a long distance background. Makes it tougher to figure out where they are.
The older shows, the ones both of us have on video tape, were much better in giving you more information about what, where, and how than the shows today. And they were only 1/2 hour too.
Old 12-25-08, 08:53 PM   #24
zooker

shoot i got some old ricky green vhs tapes..they show you rigs and how to work them.. in case you guys are lost ricky green was the "man" back in the 80's..

zooker
Old 12-26-08, 04:38 PM   #25
Fishing Fanatic

I'd like to share a bit of info with you guys that are interested in River Fishin'. My buddy PawPaw and I are friends with a young man named Drew Gregory that is fast becoming a "River Bassin' legend" in Georgia and South Carolina. He has his own web site www.drewgregory.com I highly recommend you take a look at some of his info. Drew started out with simple vids but lately has started to do videos in HD (very similar to the great vids Kevin is doing now). His latest vid is called "The river giveth, and the river taketh away". I think you'll like it.
http://www.drewgregory.com/archives/1792

** notice he is standing in his Native Ultimate 12. This is a very difficult thing to do in the type water he is fishing. The river is full of rocks. The guys is super talented. Hope you enjoy...

Last edited by Fishing Fanatic; 12-26-08 at 05:50 PM.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.