Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-12, 12:20 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass opener and the week that followed...(lots of pics)

Well, it finally arrived...bass opener here in MN was a week ago Saturday, May 26. My wife, Kaye, and I were fortunate enough to be able to spend 8+ days up at our cabin on the lake, and we did a fair amount of fishing. The first few days were almost exclusively "kid fishing" since we were hosting my brother and his family, along with my sister and her family, through the Memorial Day holiday. After that we were able to do some more serious adult fishing for the rest of the week. The weather was PERFECT for almost the entire week, with just one morning being a rainout.

Alex (11) - He caught the first bass of his life on the morning of bass opener. He and I went out together in the boat at 6:00 a.m. He kept me so busy taking fish off his hook, taking his picture with them, re-rigging his zoomie, etc. (and trying to teach him as much of that stuff as I could) that he caught 13 fish to my 4!

Ryan (8) - Alex's younger brother...he also caught his first bass ever when I took him out with me on Saturday evening. I didn't fish at all, just tried to teach him the ropes. I did most of the casting for him, and after helping him with the first couple of hook sets, he did everything else after that and was very pleased to catch 8 fish altogether.

Their sister, Christine (14), continued her Smallmouth-slaying from last year...

My brother (dad of the above 3), Lyle, with the first bass of his life. He hadn't fished since high school, and didn't do much of it way back then, but when they arrived on Friday night, he announced he was going to buy a license if I would teach him how to bass fish...COOL!

My sister's oldest son, Adam (13), outfished me 3 to 1 during a brief outing he and I made on Sunday. He was pleased to catch the first Northern Pike of his life, and also his first Smallmouth on this particular lake.

My sister's daughter, Julia (8), caught a couple fish during a "girls outing" that I was the boat captain for...

I didn't fish much during the aforementioned girls' outing, but one of my casts during that trip yielded this super-chunky 3lb 3oz, 16.25" LM while using a wacky-rigged 5" senko.

My biggest fish of the week was a 3lb 15oz, 18.0" Smallie, caught on "opener" morning by a dock right across from our property in the no wake channel that we're on...less than 100 yards from our dock!

Kaye and I landed identical 3lb 4oz LM during one of our evening outings during the week after our guests had left. Hers was on a 5" wacky-rigged senko using a dropshot and mine was on a zoomie.

My biggest LM of the week came on a trip with my fishing buddy, Jeff. Mine, which came on a jig 'n pig (thanks, Kory!), is 3lb 6oz, Jeff's is 2lb 13oz:

Here is the first hint of sunrise (taken at 4:30 a.m.!) on my last fishing outing of the week, the SECOND Saturday that we were up there...

Shortly after sunrise that morning, I landed my best fish of the morning, a 3lb 2oz LM...shown here with a 2lb 8oz LM that I caught later, plus Jeff with two that went 2lb 12oz and 2lb 7oz.

All told, we caught and released 186 fish (kept none), including 98 Largemouth and 19 Smallmouth, with 6 of the bass being over 3 pounds. That gets us off to a good start for the season considering last year's numbers for opener week were 105 fish, 70 LM, 2 SM, and only 1 bass over 3 pounds.

Oh, and just to make this an even longer post, here are a couple of loon shots. Some of them were still on their nests, while others already had little loon chicks bobbing alongside them in the water...

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 07:10 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Big congrats on your long awaitted opening weekend trip. What a great way to spend the week! Those kids sure look like they were having the time of their lives. Way to go buddy! Love the photos. That sunrise shot sure is pretty too. Makes me want to get the trailor hooked up and head out. Glad you see your back to bass fishing in MN again!
Old 06-05-12, 07:36 AM   #3
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I hope your trip was as wonderful as those pictures. How fabulous and what a wonderful memory for the kiddos! May you have many more such outings! Oh and great fish too!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 01:17 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats on a great start to the season Dean. I am really glad that those jigs are already catching you some fish.
Old 06-05-12, 03:42 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Dean, you do it right man!....8 days with Fam ad fishing cant be beat...Looks like everyone had a blast
Old 06-05-12, 07:49 PM   #6
bcklash

Awesome Dean
Old 06-05-12, 08:00 PM   #7
Jrob78

It looks like you guys had an awesome start to the season! You're a good man Dean. I'm sure those kids will always remember their uncle taking them fishing. You have a really special thing, I think you know that though.
Old 06-05-12, 10:42 PM   #8
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Great start to the season! I wish our bass looked as healthy as the bass that you're always posting.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:22 AM   #9
bassboogieman

Fishing with Family - nothing better, especially when it becomes CATCHING!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 10:53 AM   #10
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Fishing with Family - nothing better, especially when it becomes CATCHING!
The first fish of the whole trip was a small pike that I caught on my 3rd or 4th cast on opener morning using a purple/watermelon chatterbait that I bought from you! I also caught several fish on some of the crankbaits that came from you.
Old 06-06-12, 07:14 PM   #11
nobass

great post glad to see the youngins enjoy them self. sounds like you and kay had a great trip
Old 06-06-12, 11:10 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
It looks like you guys had an awesome start to the season! You're a good man Dean. I'm sure those kids will always remember their uncle taking them fishing. You have a really special thing, I think you know that though.
Yep, we most definitely know what a special thing we have. We are thankful to be able to share our place with family and friends and create many awesome memories with all of them. Teaching them to fish and watching them catch fish is just more icing on the cake.
Old 06-06-12, 11:40 PM   #13
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Congrats on your guide service to your nieces and nephews....you created memories for them they will never forget! That is just awesome and nice catches! Thanks for sharing!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.