Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-11, 08:09 AM   #1
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Amy Winehouse

I for one was saddened by her death (and the tragic last years of her life in the end) I was a fan for years. Some only knew her by the media coverage of the public circus of her addiction. Both her debut album and follow up went multiple platinum. Five Grammys. Back to Black was released three times while she was alive and once after her passing. It went to number one on the British charts all four times. Hers was a genre of itself. She wrote about her life and pain. There are hundreds of videos of her performances. Between 2003 and 2008, are the years I will try to remember her by. Some people sadly only checked her out after her death and have becomes fans. One comment about her is that when she was high, she was very, very good. When sober, out of this world.

From her first album, Frank, her first released single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gmZTAt1lls

Title cut from Back to Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1TQRJWLZ3s

A cover of the Zuton's Valerie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSKVv6YO8g
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 04:11 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Life is full of decisions and consequences. She made her decisons and lived with the consequences. It's a shame for someone with such an incredible gift to cut life short.
Old 08-19-11, 04:43 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Music sounds good, can't understand what's she's sayin though, lmao!
Old 08-19-11, 04:52 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Just another narcissistic idiot with a racial identity crisis.
Old 08-19-11, 05:29 PM   #5
1/4 stick

She was talenteted for sure. What I heard from her was good, though I never really got into listening to her music. Can't really say about her addictions simply because I know from my own experiance with booze I know each person has different reasons for getting themselves in that shape. What hers were I don't know and no one will ever know for certain except for her. All I can say about that is I thank God everyday that when the alcohol put me in the hospital and nearly killed me, he pulled me through. And I've had the good sense to and will power to leave it alone since.

It's sad that she couldn't find any other way to deal with what ever than to get high and destroy herself. But again, no one really knows the what and whys except for her. I just hope she finds the peace in the after life that she appearently could find in life.
Old 08-23-11, 04:24 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Dave liked the way she painted her eyes..

Capt Mike
Old 08-25-11, 02:38 AM   #7
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Just another narcissistic idiot with a racial identity crisis.
Now that is some racial BS big time, and I am not sorry for putting it out that way. Who says a musican who is featuring soul/blues and jazz has an identiy crisis if they are white?
I refer you to Booker T and the MG's: thier guitar player Steve Cropper ( whiter than white) co wrote or wrote some of the all time greatest soul hits, the bass player Ducky Dunn is also white

I refer you to the drumer Johnny Vidochovich in New Orleans

I refer you tot the great writer Tom Waits

Who says black musicans can't play rock, THEY INVENTED it, I refer you to Professor Long hair, Littl Richard and Ike Turner to name a few

When I was learning how to play, I wanted to learn some basic blues shuffles, I was told by my drum teacher, THATS RACE MUSIC!
Which when I saw Booker T and When I saw Jimi Hendrix for the first time, and the bands were interracial I relaized that was a bunch of racist horse crap, and thats what your remark is racist horsedroppins.

Because a white musican, sounds " black" since thats what the right about her, Joplin and Waits, and dress like the musicans they not only grew up listening to,many got to play with.
Why is it unsual for the next generation to mimic dress style, song style and such. Young baseball players frequnetly request thier favorite players numbers and chew the same tobacco and buy the same gloves, same difference here
The tradgey being that drugs is not the life style of all, and will kill you.

As a side note, this kind of thinking changed the course of Jazz History. Louis Armstrong was being prevented from playing with Bix Spiderbeck in New Orleans, so he left Jim Crow behind and spent the rest of his life in Astoria Queens, and Bix to Sunny side Gardens also in Queens NY; as least the musicans get it right, for the most part

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 08-25-11 at 03:55 AM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 02:48 AM   #8
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
She was talenteted for sure. What I heard from her was good, though I never really got into listening to her music. Can't really say about her addictions simply because I know from my own experiance with booze I know each person has different reasons for getting themselves in that shape. What hers were I don't know and no one will ever know for certain except for her. All I can say about that is I thank God everyday that when the alcohol put me in the hospital and nearly killed me, he pulled me through. And I've had the good sense to and will power to leave it alone since.

It's sad that she couldn't find any other way to deal with what ever than to get high and destroy herself. But again, no one really knows the what and whys except for her. I just hope she finds the peace in the after life that she appearently could find in life.
Well put sir! I had to put down my drum sticks when I got clean , I used the whole time I played,in fact i used for 27 years
19 years and some months ago, I got clean, started to and still make meetings, and part of the process was giving some stuff up. For me drumming was connected directly to using. I finally feel somewhat safe about trying to play again, after 20 years I dread what thats going to sound like!
Anyways musican's should not be given certain privligies and buys in life nor should they be given more severe judgement , addiction can strike any one and in any economic and social class
Old 08-25-11, 10:59 AM   #9
dave

Not just white, she was, are you ready...JEWISH!
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 09:01 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy
Who says a musican who is featuring soul/blues and jazz has an identiy crisis if they are white?
Nobody. It really has nothing to do with the style of music.

It has to do with when she talked, she sounded like any other Brit. Yet when she sang, well, you know how she sounded....it might as well have been Aunt Jemima up there.

Sing in your own voice. Not the voice of who you think should sing that style of music.
Old 08-25-11, 09:18 PM   #11
Ebbetsguy

Well it's clear what you are now. The human voice can sing and intonate without accent and mimicing the required accent, Did you every here an Italian Speaking Opera singer sing in perfect German, or an American sing in perfect Italian, without neither being able to speak the language. That Aunt Jemaima Crack told me everything I need. You may know alot about science and what not, I know music and I know racism when I see it, I will not comment any more on this, everything I needed to know is obvious, I bow out of this thread
Old 08-25-11, 09:21 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Amy sings with a different voice because she thinks "that's the kind of people who like this music", and I'm the racist?
Old 08-25-11, 09:22 PM   #13
Tavery5

So what your sayin Bryce is that no one from the North should sing Country Music with a twang, and anyone who is not black should sing jazz?
Old 08-25-11, 09:26 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

before I get outtahere

Joe Cocker does it
Stevie Windwood does it
Eric Clapton Does ir
John Lennon was able to do it
Petula Clark spoke with a heavy English/Cockney Accent and sonded likeStandard American English on her Albums
Pavorotti sang in Perfect German

The list goes on, just trying to steer your attention to some of the more easily found

Man you got this all wrong
Old 08-25-11, 09:28 PM   #15
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Amy sings with a different voice because she thinks "that's the kind of people who like this music", and I'm the racist?
Yea the Aunt Jemima remark sealed that. If you don't want to be associated with the team you should not wear the cap and the jersey...Casey Stengle
Old 08-25-11, 09:37 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
So what your sayin Bryce is that no one from the North should sing Country Music with a twang, and anyone who is not black should sing jazz?
I think you must have mis-typed the second part of your statement....not really sure what it says.

But yeah, I think people should sing in their own voice. I'm not saying you can't tip your hat to where the music is from. Just don't put on a costume every single day (my apologies to clowns everywhere). Can a white person not sing jazz in their own voice? Or do they have to do their own impression of some black singer? If that wouldn't be popular, or sell enough records, maybe jazz fans are the racists...they seem to be the ones who insist on it requiring a "black" voice.
Old 08-25-11, 09:46 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Joe Cocker does it
Stevie Windwood does it
Eric Clapton Does ir
John Lennon was able to do it
Petula Clark spoke with a heavy English/Cockney Accent and sonded likeStandard American English on her Albums
I'm assuming you mean these people "sound American" when they sing? If they changed their accents to sell more records in the lucrative American music market, well that's their problem (though it still wouldn't be racist, as they're all Caucasian...I did have to Google Petula Clark...never heard of her). I'm certainly not a fan of any of these people.

Pavarotti singing in German, no matter how perfect, is a bad example, as he's not trying to show how much cooler he thinks Germans are by copping a German "accent." He's singing an opera written in German in German so Germans will know the effing words. I'm pretty sure Pavarotti is pretty down with his Italian heritage.
Old 08-25-11, 09:47 PM   #18
Tavery5

So Bryce, just so I am clear, what exactly is a "Black" voice?
Old 08-25-11, 09:56 PM   #19
Top Tiger

Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald, Charlie Musselwhite.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 09:57 PM   #20
Ebbetsguy

So White people, who are playing and singing an art form born in the Religions of Africa and in the fields of slavery here are looked at by you, as not respecting their heritage, rather than me who look at it like someone is paying homage to another's heritage and culture. One does not negate the other,
Old 08-25-11, 10:01 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
So Bryce, just so I am clear, what exactly is a "Black" voice?
Standard trap...but you already know. Be serious.

I would bet you yourself could walk around in public, and every time you heard a voice, but didn't see the person, you could guess correctly the race of the person. At least 99% of the time. That in and of itself is not racism. That's just reality. We have different "accents".

To deny this is true is the epitome of politically correct nonsense.
Old 08-25-11, 10:04 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald, Charlie Musselwhite.
I'm not sure who Charlie Musselwhite is, but yeah, Darryl Hall is definitely a guy who does not sing like he talks. I've never heard Michael McDonald talk, so can't comment on that.

My point is, rather than just be who they are, these people became caricatures of who they wished they were, because they have an identity crisis.
Old 08-25-11, 10:06 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
So White people, who are playing and singing an art form born in the Religions of Africa and in the fields of slavery here are looked at by you, as not respecting their heritage, rather than me who look at it like someone is paying homage to another's heritage and culture. One does not negate the other,
Dom..."paying homage" is a brief tip of the hat...not basing your entire career on pretending to be someone else, caucasian, negro, hispanic, oriental, martian, whatever.
Old 08-25-11, 10:11 PM   #24
Tavery5

Bryce, I guess what I am getting at is I can listen to her music and enjoy it for what it is, as millions and millions of other people have. I kinda feel sorry for you, it's ashame that you have to trash something as wonderful as her music,because it does not meet your standards of what she should sound like.
Old 08-25-11, 10:15 PM   #25
Ebbetsguy

This is easier than fishing for bluegills, here's your trap

What is the race of the person who worte this and the race of the person who sang it; This is the original recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44waInkjgI

Whats the race of the person who sang this version, and coming from Tyler Texas she spoke this way;

How about this version, by one of America's greatest singers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDOEsQL7lA

While we are at it, what race is this guy, i guarentee he talks this way , having talked with him myself, there is nothing phony or put on about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6V5DXk6TbA

This is not about politically correct it is about truth

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 08-25-11 at 10:23 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.