Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-05, 02:45 PM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Big Fish Strategy...Sell out or go for numbers?

Well the last post got me to thinking about something. In my mind there are two schools of thought regarding my chances of catching big fish and how to maximize them....

First, I think maybe I should just try to maximize numbers and by the virtue of probability I will eventually hook into a large fish just the same as if you keep pulling the slot lever you will eventually hit on some cash....this has been my traditional strategy and it has resulted in some ok fish, 4 and 5 pounders, but no 10 pounders. To pursue this strategy I use flukes, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, occasionally jigs and worms up shallow.

The second more radical strategy is what I woud call "selling out". It is in principle the same thing the guys in cali do for big bass, they throw 8 inch plugs in 35 feet of water. Of course that strategy changes somewhat with the terrain, but the idea of sacrifising 100 dinks in exchange for 1 bite from a monster does not change. For this in my mind you need larger lures, jigs, carolina rigs, big crankbaits which I am terrible with and worms all fished deep or with access to deep water and most of the time a proximity to the main lake.

So I will put it to yall, cause this post is getting too long, which strategy do you pursue for big bass and which has been the most effective?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.