Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-11, 12:13 AM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bait caster reel for froggin?

So Santa gave me a Bass Pro Shops extreme rod now i need a bait caster for it. I am working with my brother all winter long shoveling snow so no reel price point i was thinking the shimano curado another thing is it has to be a lefty
  • no price point
  • has to be lefty
thats the only things for it so can you all help me find a nice reel?
thanks
Old 12-26-11, 02:58 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, I've been using a Revo S casting reel. It cost's $130.00 and is more than sufficient to get the job done. Plus, I like the drag on this reel. It has a rating of 24 pounds which is pretty darn good. Another reel for the same price is the BPS Carbon Black casting reel. It sells for the same price as the Revo S, but also gives you the megnetic breaks if you desire them. I never felt I needed megnetic breaks for a froggin reel, but should you also want to use the reel for another purpose, you might be glad you have them. The Carbon Black has a drag rating of 14 pounds which is also pretty darn good. Both are available in left hand versions. The Carbon Black is also available in 3 choices of gear ratio too.
Old 12-26-11, 08:55 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I started out with two rebuilt bass pro reels I got off ebay about 30-35 bucks + shipping each,6/3/1 and 6/2/1
Faster is even better like 6/4/1,7/1 ,frogging does not take an expensive reel just a good winch,with brakes that casts decent.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 01:47 PM   #4
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default reel

Scott I use Quantum PT Burners ( 7.1 ) for frogging. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 04:19 PM   #5
Tavery5

Some things to consider when buying a reel dedicated to frog fishing are:

Line capacity, reels with a wide spool make nice frog reels

Gear Ratio, frog fishing is done with the rod, but you will want a faster reel to pick up slack line quickly.

Line guide material, make sure the line guide will support superlines, allot of people use braided line to fish frogs, and braided line can damage the eye on your reel and the guides on a rod if they are not made of a hard enough material.

The Pflueger president and Pflueger Asaro, can be found cheap and make good frog reels in my opinion.
Old 12-26-11, 06:41 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I use a Pflueger Asaro wide spool myself. Not fancy, but does the job for froggin'. They have been discontinued, but you can find them on ebay (NIB) for about $75.00.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 06:46 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd definitely recommend a REVO. Very good drag on these reels, and as far as I know the casting distance is good on these reels as well, another important quality to look for when you're looking for a froggin reel. The SX and STX and some of the nicest reels I've felt, and they both feel better in hand (IMO) then a curado E.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.