Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-06, 07:19 AM   #1
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default No Confidence In C-rig

I've been using the texas rig for over 30 years now and I guess old habits are hard to break. I started using the c-rig this year, 1 hit, 1 fish. I know it is all about confidence, but the new rod/reel w/c-rig lays in my boat most of the time. I do look down at it alot and wonder why I have it. Can ya'll give me
some give me some advantages of using the carolina rig? Also mybe some
tips on how to use it. My home state is North Carolina, you would think the name alone would inspire confidence, but it doesn,t.
Thanks,

Dannie
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 08:04 AM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

one of the advantages is that you can cover large areas of water rather quikley because you are always dragging the bait. here is an article to help you out.
bassdozer.com/articles/crawford/carolina.shtml
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 08:43 AM   #3
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Zimmerman, don't feel lonely. I leave my C-rig at home. I have so much bad luck w/ it, it doesn't even make the trip. I've never done well w/ it and I have absolutely no confidence in it either.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 09:02 AM   #4
Turbo Rattler
BassFishin.Com Member

I have only had succes with the carolina Rig in mid summer when the fish are deep and presentation must be slowed way down. It will allow you to get the bait deep vary fast and allows you to present a slow moving bait.
Old 04-12-06, 10:10 AM   #5
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

I have had more luck with a C-rig that T-rig. I have caught fish on it all year round. Its just a matter of using it in the correct applications
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 12:03 PM   #6
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Like all techniques, there's a time and place for Carolina rigs, and then there's times when you want to go with a texas rig or something else. As far as the Carolina Rig not producing for you, I'd say you just have to keep trying it. It has worked for me in the past, but I don't use it much. I like to fish shallow water and for that I always use a texas rig, in deeper water's, I'll go with crank baits or rattle traps. But if I'm working rocky points or spare vegitation area's in fairly deep water, I'll throw a carolina rig and it works for me. I like to use lizards and floating worms on my C-rigs, and I'll always use a scent of some sort on the lure as well. Keep the faith, and try it more often, l know your going to start catch's some sooner or later. Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 04:23 PM   #7
RatLTrap

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

I like using it on points.
Old 04-12-06, 06:05 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

c-riggin -which i hate- is best done with 18" leader before june and 36" after june. during summer temps i use a lizard with a dyed tail early in the morning. then around 10 am i will go with a french fry or a trick worm both with some dyed areas on it.. some folks haqve great success with hula grubs-i have not-

zooker
Old 04-12-06, 06:40 PM   #9
bass kicker

i have only used it a couple of times gut never caught anything on it yet so i am not really sure about it
Old 04-12-06, 09:47 PM   #10
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's a good way to catch fish on offshore structure when they're deep. In the summer you can catch some toads on the offshore structure and a C-rig is one of the best ways to do it IMO.
Old 04-12-06, 10:47 PM   #11
lizardsrule

If you aren't fishing it, you won't ever gain confidence in it. Try using it where you use your t-rig, and try dragging it or hopping it. There is no doubt it's a great technique, even more so when fishing a plastic from the back of a boat when the guy up front is moving quickly. Also try to use a floating crank as the bait, it can be very productive at times.

Lizards
Old 04-12-06, 10:58 PM   #12
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you dont have confidence then you are not really fishing this rig.
The C trig works best when bass are suspended 1 to 4 feet off the bottom.
I generaklly use a leader that is 24 to 36 inches. I adjust the type and weight of my hook according to how high I want the bait to rise at the end of the leader and how fast I want it top fall. Immediatly after the spawn I often will fish Rig with a leader as long as 48 inches with a small wire hook and a very bouyant bait.
You may be getting strikes that you are not detecting. There are times when you will feel the tap tap of a T rig but often you just see the line moving off or the slack going away.
There are very specific times to use a c rig and very specific times to use a T rig. when the bass are holding in brush or on the bottom in limestone I use a T rig. When they are suspending close to the bottom or feeding on gravel or chunk rock bottoms I will usually use a C rig.
The bait can be varied. In the spring I use a 4,5,or 6 inch lizard. In the hottest time of the summer I may use a craw or a 10 inch power worm. I usually move the bait is 2 to 3 foot movements with the rod held from the 9 to 11 position. I use a 7 foot rod. measure your baits movement by the distance the rod tip moved .Some times I will allow the bait to set for a long time amd other times I will almost keep it in constant motion. Let the fish be the judge.
I found out a few years ago that a 5/8 or 3/4 Lindy sinker works better for a c rig than any bullet or egg sinker I hage ever used. the come with rattles built in and are 95% snag proof. IO use a stright shank or a off set hook depending on the bait. I also use a very low vis leader that is a smaller lb test than my regular line.
This is a good time of the year to learn to fish the rig. Go out this week end and leave everything else at home. That will force you to use and master the rig. Fish2win
Old 04-12-06, 11:19 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

just one tip that i can think of that these guys haven't covered and i love this one... if you find a brush pile or submerged trees or what have ya, i like to throw right in the middle of it and then bounce the sinker all over the brush. it seems to make a sound that drives the bass wild. it works well for me anyways.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.