Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-05, 09:26 AM   #1
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Red line/Red hooks

The post below got me to thinking...always a bad thing in my case.

One the one hand we have a red fishing line that says red is a good color for fishing line because red fades out and the fish can't see it.

On the other hand, we're told we got to have red hooks because the fish can see the red hook and are attracted to it.

Does anyone else see some fuzzy logic here?
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 10:35 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Red line/Red hooks

CAJUN,

It all goes back to the old John P. Barnum (of Barnum & Bailey circus fame) theory who said "There's a sucker born every minute."
I don't know the theory behind the red line, supposedly it loses color as soon as it enters the water and becomes invisible. The red hook theory may have some merit, as in some of the Texas lakes, one of the best colors to throw is red because it imitates the color of the emerging springtime crayfish. The red hooks are supposed to emulate blood, which draws fish to the "wounded baitfish."
In my opinion, you have been making too many trips to the little house out behind the house and thinking too
much. You need to take some reading materiel with you!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 06:17 PM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Naw Jack. That's where I keep my Bassmasters. That's what started me thinking.
Old 03-17-05, 07:47 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Cajun,

I've been wondering the same thing. But hey if folks like em, and it gives them confidence in them, then they should use them. I believe confidence is one of the most important things in Bass fishing. If your confident in something, your persistance using it will generally pay off IMO of course. Great insight though ;D

Lizards

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 10:11 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Cajun, you bring up a good point-never made the connection until I saw it. Food for thought (and yes, it is a bad thing in my case, too ;D)
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 10:42 PM   #6
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50

I think more times than not, the person fishing worries more about the line visibility than the bass does ;D

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 10:46 PM   #7
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

I think the red line works pretty well, myself. The fish don't seem to see it at all.....Red hooks woek pretty well I think.

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 11:34 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

That's the problem, TT-they DON"T see red line but the DO see red hooks? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me now that Cajun pointed it out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 11:49 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

IMO ONLY!..i don't think the color of hooks mean anything.i think the bass may possibly see a little thing hanging off the lure which is indiscernable.may look like a poop string...and they're all different colors so.... :
i believe color does make a difference as to what the line would look like in water.but..no matter what color the line looks like i don't believe it makes a bit of difference.they're not looking at the line.an exception to this would be ultra clear water,then it's not such a good idea to use braided(or fused),unless you are using a very ,very thin dia.line(4lb.dia. or so).
in clear i'll use a c-rig with power pro w/mono leader.
camo line works very well in the ultra clear reservoirs here.
i also use the yo zuri hybrid line a lot in clear water.
i've been known to throw 17lb green tourney tough w/a 1/2oz jig Â*in clear water.

i wish there was a way we could do a poll on here.other boards have it. what do you say kev?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 12:07 AM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

it makes no sence at all. i myself think it is a big pile of BS. i mean isnt better if the bass doesnt see the hook? i guess if you are using a red bait then a red hook would be neccassary. it would blend in to the bait. as far as line goes, i dont think line color matters. it could be black, clear, red, white, blue, any color. i dont really care because for all the bass know it is something in the background or something floating in front of the bait. and isnt the whole point of the lure to ''lure'' the bass to it? the bass would be to interested in the bait rather then whats coming off of it or whats in front of it. i think that red hooks and line are meant to catch fishermen rather than catching bass. theres been years and years and yearsand years.........that bass fishermen has been catching bass on regular hooks and regular line. heck, the world record(whether it is or isnt a bass cant be disputed)was caught on regular steel or metal hooks. it didnt make a difference to the bass then, why should it make a difference now? just to sum it all up, i think this whole red thing is meant to catch fishermen, not fish.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 12:43 AM   #11
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Red line does become invisible to fish after 4 or so feet. But, fish would be able to see it in really shallow, relatively clear water.
As far as red hooks go or the bleeding shad Rat-L-Trap, they attract more customers than fish.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 07:49 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

although i am guilty of haveing both red line and red hooks-the bait monkey made me do it- i don't belive they work what so ever ..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 07:54 PM   #13
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i too think it is a load of bull. I do like the cajun red line, just because it casts smooth and handles great, as for red hooks, ill take any color hook out there and make it work, anyone can, doenst matter if it is white pink or red or stainless or whatevr the norm color is. a hook is a hook just as line is a line.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 09:40 PM   #14
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

ok guys,red line lets light pass through and is not opaque.that is why it fades in the water.it takes about 3-4 feet of depth.a red hook is opaque and reflects it's red color so is easier to see.as it gets deeper it will also tend to fade but not as fast as the line where the light helps it blend.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 11:54 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=dodgeguy link=board=news;num=1111062374;start=0#13 date=03/18/05 at 19:40:40]ok guys,red line lets light pass through and is not opaque.that is why it fades in the water.it takes about 3-4 feet of depth.a red hook is opaque and reflects it's red color so is easier to see.as it gets deeper it will also tend to fade but not as fast as the line where the light helps it blend.[/quote]

So in other words a hook is visible no matter what color it is And the deeper it get's the more it stands out? I want to know what a red hook looks like at say 15 feet is it lighter in contrast than say a bronze hook or is it basically the same thing. My contention is who cares, IT'S THE BAIT the fish are going for not the hook or line.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 10:49 AM   #16
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

For more than you ever wanted to know about "color".

http://www.artsparx.com/seeingcolor.html
Old 03-19-05, 10:59 AM   #17
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

If you are getting a reaction strike from a bass, then they are going to hit it.

They aren't going to stop and think about whether there is a line, they aren't going to think about whether there is a hook.

They think it is food, they want to attack it, and there's a good chance they will.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 12:39 PM   #18
ChampioN
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ChampioN

Have to admit, had the same thoughts about the fish seeing the red hooks, but not the red line. That being said however, it did not stop me from buying 6 lb Cajun line. I liked the color, I use it in rivers and streams, appears to be strong but I have had some problems with memory causing the line to come off my reel. I removed some line and that solved the problem.
Now all that being said, I have had better hook ups and more hook ups with the red hooks.
I make my own worm rigs and I get the Eagle Claw red worm hooks, as well as #'s 4 6 8 and 10. If I can't find red, I use what I can find. I work Hunt/Fish retail so I have my choice for the most part.
ChampioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 11:41 PM   #19
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bennersj

I asked myself the same question earlier and this is my opinion. About every angler has used lures with the color red on them in crankbaits, tubes, spinnerbaits, and other lures. If the color red is invisible to bass why would they hit a lure with the color red on it, it would be invisible to the bass. I did not believe they would work any better until now. I purchased some to go on my crankbaits and some red worm hooks. Yesterday I went fishing with a friend and he was wearing the bass out on cranks and I was fishing a tube and not catching any. I quickly switched to a crank with a red hook and I wore my friend out. I don't know if it was the red hooks but this has not been the only time. I have also been fishing behind other people fishing cranks and caught a lot more fish than they were catching. ??? :-/
bennersj is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.