Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-05, 03:11 AM   #1
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy
Default Tube Weights

Looking at chucking some tubes for smallies around docks during a summer tourney where I've seen success using them. Just wondering around docks what size weight and even what brand is preferred to get a nice HORIZONTAL fall and presentation?
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 08:45 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Tube Weights

Tough question. The fish will determine what wieght/rate of fall you want on any given day. So you might want to try a couple of different sizes. Some folks like to peg a bullet weight, some folks prefer to leave the bullet unpegged, they believe it gives the bait better action(I tend to agree with them). And of course you have the weights inside the tube, or attached to the hook(so many variations :-/) Anyway if tubes are gonna be your bait around here I suggest have a couple different variations hooked up and ready to throw, so you can determine which one is working best. Some folks will also put a small piece of styrofoam in them to make them more bouyant, vs more weighted. Trial and error is the only way to perfect the presentation that works best IMO. Once you get it down, it's easy to duplicate in other places or times.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 09:14 AM   #3
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

By experimenting, you can vary the fall greatly. One way is to insert a split shot into the nose of the tube, then vary the amounts of foam used. I t-rig with a little flexible foam on the inside. Take a piece of the flat foam sheeting that comes in electronic components and devices, the foldable sheet foam....roll it and when texposing, the hook passes through the foam holding it in. You can vary the fall by the amount of foam used, also, if you cut the foam, you can place the weight amidships to get the horazontal fall you desire....the hook passing through the aft piece of foam holds everything in. After you experiment a bit, it becomes pretty easy to judge the amounts of foam and placement.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 10:34 AM   #4
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

To get a slow and horizontal fall , i go with the Mustad power lock plus hooks. They have a bait holder/shank on the front and the ones i use are pre-weighted. 1/16 oz . the weight can be slid up and back on the hook to control the front or the back dropping first. If you put it in the middle , it will drop horizontally. I love 'em. 3/0 is the size a use . but they make them in others.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 10:57 AM   #5
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

HOOKED,
You did not specify what size tubes you are throwing. Each size and brand will need a different weight due to composition of the plastic used in making them. Sometimes a 3/0 or4/0 hook is enough weight to give a very slow horizontal fall.
I generally use a heavy 5 inch tube with a 4/0 hook and use "bass casting" sinkers to weight it. (Those are the little bell shaped sinkers with the brass wire loop at the top)
I insert "bass casting" sinker inside the tube (1/16 or 1/8 oz) then run the hook point into the tip of the tube and catch the wire loop of the sinker, then run the hook on thru and rig as usual. The offset shank of the worm hook will hold the sinker in place towards the front of the tube. This will give you a horizontal fall, and the lighter the weight the slower the fall. If you want a spiral fall, more like a dead shad, put a small bullet weight (1/32 oz) pegged to the front of the tube.
If you want to fish the tube more like a jerkbait, you can use a small swivel about 12 inches ahead of the tube and fish it weightless in a "jerk-jerk-jerk-pause" type of retrieve. It will dart around like a crippled minnow.
You can weight the tube with a 3/16 or 1/4 oz weight (pegged) and crawl it slowly on the bottom around vegetation, brush and sunken logs to imitate a crawfish. When I fish tubes in this manner, I use a bullet weight that I mold myself that has a collar on the back to hold a jig skirt. The combination of the jig skirt on the tube is a deadly combination in the spring.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.