Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-05, 09:47 PM   #1
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy
Default Rattle Trap Line Question

For those of you who watched Clarks-Hill Res. Bassmaster event you, once again, saw Mike Iaconelli throwing that 1/2 oz lipless rattle trap and shallow running crank into prespawn staging weeds on points. Takahiro used it in the early Toho and Big "O" tourneys. They'd crank it down and rip it free triggering a reaction strike. Here's the question:

What line do you guys use when using this rip or yo-yo technique ON A BAITCASTER and why?

Iaconelli reported he used 10lb Berk. Vanish Fluro. My thoughts are for the lowvis. and low stretch factors. With his 7ft. fiberglass M action rod he's throwing that 1/2oz.er a long ways. I'm sure the low stretch is needed to rip free of the weeds easier. Also helps in detecting a bite. My experience with Flurocarbon on a baitcaster is negative b/c of bad line memory *cough* backlash *cough*. Anyone suggest using Power Pro with 10lb comparable diameter (what is that 40# power pro?). Anyone use fireline?

Thinking of using this similar technique on my second tourney this upcoming year.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 09:56 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Rattle Trap Line Question

Well one thing you may need to remember is that the water in Toho is what should be termed clear (really tea colored, but clear). Â*This means that you gain a lot from using flourocarbon as opposed to mono or braid. Â*This may not be the case wherever you are fishing an upcoming tournament, should the water be dingy you could probably get away with mono or braid. Â*Also I assume Ioconelli was covering a lot of water, thus nessesitating long casts - do you have to cover as much water as he did? Â*

There is also the stretch factor which obviously favors using flourocarbon or braid. Â*To tell you the truth, given all the above I still probably would use 17 pound mono - with a trap I'm not convinced I need the extra sensitivity and I trust mono more than flouro. Â*But you need to consider your unique situation. Â*
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 10:37 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I agree with WTL, I use 17lb to 20lb mono for fishing ratltraps, jerkbaits, topwater baits.They don't seem to foul the baits action by the hook getting tangled up in the line. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 11:21 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

HOOKED,
I use 40# or 50# Power Pro line on all bait casters when fishing all reaction type baits. I don't think that when fishing crankbaits the line would make any difference, as the fish does not have a chance to study the bait. If I was fishing a clear water lake (which we don't have in Kansas) I would add a 6 ft 15# flurocarbon leader. This is the rig I use on all my slow moving baits, like worms, lizards & tubes.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 12:20 AM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

JackL
do you tie the lines directly together or do you use a swivel?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 01:11 AM   #6
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I use the p-line cx. Â*It's a copolymer line with a fluorocarbon coating for abrasion resistance. Â*This is extremely limp, soft, supple line for the line class and has a thinner line diameter of any mono or copolymer line I've come across. Â*Even better than the original silver thread.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 04:14 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

u got to be carefull when setting the drag loose, the hook sets wont be good. i have lost alot of fish on low drag setting because when i tried to sett the hook, it just tore out line. u must be good at playin the fish to bring them bass in on 2lb line, unless there all small ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 04:45 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

2 lb test ? Man thats what I use for bream. For bass though, no way might break on the cast.
I use 14 Stren Heavy Strength.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 02:16 AM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Use power pro with a duolock(Im lazy), also would recommend changing out the stock hooks. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.