Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-05, 12:30 AM   #1
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

Default balanced check book $100 to spend

just got done balancing the sheck book seeing what i could come up with and it worked. I have about $100 dollars to spend and looking to do it tonight online. Again i'm asking for help and some input on what I should order. Have some worms and rods and reels, and few rapalas. Now I need to order some basics hooks, sinkers. Wondering on which tubes or jigs, jig heads anything that would come to mind some stuff for carolina rig or t-rig setups. Any help for a beginner. This must be that "baitmonkey" i've read so much about. Thanks again everyone.
BigDawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 12:46 AM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: balanced check book $100 to spend

i would buy the terminal tackle(hooks, sinker, line, etc.) and what not at the store. with shipping you are just paying alot more then you could get at your local walmart. same with the worms and what not. go to your wallyworld and check out there selection. i would buy some extra wide gap hooks in 2/o or 3/o depending on what you are fishing, i would buy spinnerbaits(those $1 walmart spinnerbaits are actually very good.) then get some line, i like powerpro braid. but if you fish clear water i would go with mono. if you get braid, i would get 20lb. if braid, i would get 10-14lb. it really depends on if you fish heavy cover or not. then get some jigs. also some jig trailers(like a plastic craw type lure) and get some topwater lures like pop'r, spooks, buzzbaits, and things like that. dont be afraid to buy a cheaper lure. dont go spending 20$ on one lure, that will kill your wallet. 3-5 bucks on worms is good, 1-3 on spinnerbaits, 1-4 on jigs, line will cost a pretty penty if you get powerpro, but it will last a very long time.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 12:53 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Yep, that's the baitmonkey ;D. Â*It whispers in your ear you need to buy these lures or that rod-you get the idea.

OK. Â*Hooks:

I'd get some 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 offset shank worm hooks:

and some 3/0 and 4/0 extra wide gap (EWG) hooks:

The difference between the two is the EWG hooks work better for thicker baits.

For Texas rigging you will want bullet sinkers-you can get assortment packs with different weights.

Carolina rigging-you will want some barrel swivels, egg sinkers, and glass beads.

Now that I think about it, I'd not order these on line-everything I mentioned you can pick up almost anywhere that sells tackle-if you have a WalMart close they carry it all, and you don't have to pay shipping on lead.

For tubes you can get tube jig heads that you insert inside the tube which has the hook exposed, or the bigger tubes you can Texas rig.

One piece of equipment I would highly recommend is a hook sharpener. Â*I use one of these:

which you can get at WalMart for about $5.

The stuff I buy online is the stuff I can't find locally. Â*For the terminal tackle-hooks, jig heads, sinkers, etc. Â*I get locally.

Hope this helps!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 12:56 AM   #4
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

when i get jigs and the jig heads do get the heads to match the with the jigs or are there certian color combos you would want to go with? Also with tubes what lengths do i want. I already have the line guess I kind of went wrong with that part. I put 8 pound mono on a pflueger and 10 pound on a team diawa, both spinning. Now I know for next time.
Old 06-04-05, 01:01 AM   #5
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

every little bit of info helps me. I just want to learn and their is no better way to learn than from people who do it. I just hope nobody gets sick of all the questions from a new guy. Thanks for the pics they give me a better idea of what i'm looking for. Guess i'll be going to wal-mart at 5am when I get out of work.
Old 06-04-05, 01:01 AM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

this is the type of jig im talkin about: and trailer it with something like this: and, get the bigger tubes. like the 3-5'' kind
Old 06-04-05, 01:07 AM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

That is good size for those spinning reels-I use 8 lb mono on all of mine.

For jigs lets make sure we are talking the same thing. Â*A jig head is a lead head molded on a hook. Â*The other kind of jig is the same thing, except it has a rubber strand skirt already attached and has a painted head-the same color as the skirt. Â*That is the kind of jig we are referring to when we talk about a jig and pig. Â*The jighead you use with a tube is just bare lead because you put it in the tube. Â*For a jig-n-pig I use 2 colors mainly: Â*Black/blue and watermelon. Â*The pig part is a little bit of a misnomer. Â*For years jig trailers were only available made out of real pork hides-tanned, dyed nd stored in a bottle of brine. Â*It is still available, but there are plastic chunks that are the same shape as the pork chunks but are much easier to use. Â*Just get the same color trailer as the jig. For example, with a blue/black jig I like to use a black/blue flake plastic chunk-I use the ones made by Zoom the most.

You are asking good, intelligent questions, so I sure don't mind answering them and I think I can speak for the rest when I say they don't either.
Old 06-04-05, 02:15 AM   #8
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

dont feel weird about asking ?'s benners, i asked all the same ones and im still asking, but without these guys in the forum, i wouldnt have ever caught a bass using a lure, i would still be sticking corn kernals on my hook with my huge bobber waiting for that killer bluegill to strike ;D
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 02:20 AM   #9
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

i'm alittle confussed with the difference between the jig pictured above and the tube jigs that use the slip in head. which is better, what is the difference? I have the BPS catalog in front of me trying to look and figure some of this out. It's all helping and i'm getting somewhere.
Old 06-04-05, 02:32 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

2 different critters:

Here is the jig head you put in a tube:

Push the leadhead into the tube and punch the eye of the hook through the tube from the inside to the outside.

Here is the jig which is part of the jig-n-pig:

You can see the difference between the two. One isn't better than the other, just different. The jig-n-pig has only recently gained popularity for year round use. In the past it was known as a cold water/winter bait. For cold water it is tough to beat.

If you are still confused tomorrow I'll take some pictures of rigging a tube with a jig head so you can see how to do it and what it looks like.
Old 06-04-05, 02:45 AM   #11
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

alright i see and more importantly now understand the difference in the style. but now most importantly is there a time to use one or the other or any advantage to one over the other? should i have some of each in my box or will a variety of the one be okay, don't mind spending the $ to have the right gear. I really appreciate your patience with me. and pictures would be great, thanks.
Old 06-04-05, 09:13 AM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

benners,
take note of the two jigs pictured above,
and you'll see that the pig n jig has a weed guard

Some anglers like the tube esp. on rocks, because they
like the idea its closer looking to a craw, no weedguard for the fish to detect.
The tube jigs (lead head jig) do come with weedguards if you prefer, and also you can adjust the weedguard on any jig. fan it out, some pro's take about 3/16th of a inch off the guard (cut it off with scissors)
If your going to throw in some good looking "trashy"
areas..ie...log jams, downed trees, floaters etc,
I'd prob throw the pig n jig ,vs. a dam area with rip rap, I'd tend to try the craw imitator tube jig.
I broke out some red and chartruse tube jigs last week and had a ball...
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 07:24 PM   #13
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

so let me get this straight, if i use the pig n' jig method i still run that into a tube , same as a regular tube head jig? If anyone has any pictures of the way some complete setups should look that would be great.
Old 06-04-05, 07:46 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Nope, two different rigs, but both are called jigs. Here is a jig-n-pig:

The only time a tube would be involved is if you used a tube as a trailer, which is perfectly fine to do.

Here is a tube with the jig head inserted:

Hopefully that clears it up for you.
Old 06-04-05, 08:01 PM   #15
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

that makes things crystal clear, thanks. checked out 2 of my local walmarts, prices were somewhat similar to BPS. will probably order online get everything at once. I was planning on ordering a Rod Saver® Vehicle Rod Carrier anyway. last thing i want is a broken rod, this way they are up and out of the way but always there when you need them. All the time
Old 06-04-05, 08:50 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

like i said, its not smart to order online when you can get it locally, you will be paying more for what you could just go buy in the store for less. you have to factor in the shipping.
Old 06-04-05, 10:40 PM   #17
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

i have a 2 dicks sporting good, and a sports authority within 10 miles of me, Should i be able to find pretty much everything i need at one of them? Are there any certian names for certian equipment to look for, spinnerbaits, rubber chunks, what shapes?
Old 06-04-05, 10:42 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

between dicks, sports authority, and walmart, you should be able to buy about everything. the chunks can pretty much be the same shape as the one in either of rebs or my photos. i like owner, or gamamatsu hooks, strike king booyah or cheap walmart spinnerbaits, and booyah, and picasso jigs. strike king makes a decent jig to i believe. and i like strike king tubes. any brand of bullet weight. and powerpro 20lb line. those are my choices. 8)
Old 06-04-05, 10:51 PM   #19
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

If ya do find that tube stuck in the cracks of rip rap, many anglers will snap their line about a dozen times to pop it free.
I'll admit I am not very good at it, however the Kat that taught me to fish is real good at it..
Old 06-04-05, 10:53 PM   #20
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

Will be going to the store to buy the terminal tackle. Still going to be order the rod saver. What is the opinion on some of the bait kits at BPS for a starter? Was looking at the Strike King® Bleeding Tube Kit , and either one of the following three Eakins' Stained Water Jig Kit, Eakins' Clear Water Jig Kit, Uncle Buck's ® Best Bass Jigs Kit. Not sure just looked at them all on BPS. Or am i better of buying individually, just thought that might be a good way to start until i learn and see whats working for me.
Old 06-04-05, 11:07 PM   #21
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya ought to stick with worm fishing till you get the hang of casting techniques and setting the hook. plus I think YOU will keep your interest if you just stick to one lure at a time and build on that.
Even fishing a worm...is a art form in itself.
If you get lots of lures and never have much sucess with any, then you may loose interest.
After a study of worm fishing, pershaps try some spinnerbaits out, for 30 bucks your prob could buy anywhere from 10-20 spinnerbaits.
Old 06-05-05, 02:13 AM   #22
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

i do plan on using worms and trying the different types of rigs but i do also want to get some time in with my other options. want to try some jigs, spinner baits ect. the other thing is right now i have the xtra $ to spend, so i'de like to spend it on this now before its spent on something else.
Old 06-05-05, 02:14 PM   #23
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the strike king bleeding bait tube kit is a really good deal right now at bps....it was 15$ when usually 30$!!! i picked it up, and i really like the feel of the tubes. i would suggest them...but get them before the sale ends, i wouldnt pay 30$ for it. there was also some jig kit on sale for 12$ when usually 20$. i would pick that up to.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.