Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-05, 12:51 AM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default birdsnest with braided

Whenever I get a birdsnest with braided, its a lot easier to pick out than with mono. I can get really bad backlashes and pick it out in a few seconds where with mono I'd have to cut the line. Its probably because there is no memory, but has anyone else found that it is like this?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 01:08 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: birdsnest with braided

Sometimes. Â*There have been a few I couldn't pick out and had to do surgery on it. Â*That can get expensive, and then I discovered this little trick. Â*Because braid is so limp, I got a backlash pick from BPS and was able to pull the backlash out using that, but I waited until I got off the water because it took little time.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 01:41 AM   #3
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

Yes i have found it alot ezer.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 04:09 AM   #4
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

Same thing happend with me, also braid is much easier tho cast without having a backlash. I thing is the best line for those people that are learning to use casting gear
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:40 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I always just look for a loop or two in the spool and pull that out, its always the culprit when letting out line and suddenly finding the spool stops with a birds nest..
The more you fish the less time it will take to un do a birds nest , mainly because by then you've learned to feather the spool with your thumb each and every cast.
Its usually casting into the wind, or changing from on heavier lure to a lighter one without adjusting your brakes and line drop
Dont get me wrong, I backlash to a small degree at least once an hour probably, but it only take a few minutes to pull line out and look for the loop that is holding the rest of the line down...
Anyone that claims they never backlash is full of it....
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:44 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

since i started using braid i havnt got a tangle using spinning gear.....and i have yet to break my line i have pulled up trees....i have pulled fish outta heavy cover...and it never breaks. buti never get tangles anymore when using braid 8) alot of it has to do with the coating...its easy to slip out of knots and what not.....
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:45 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Next time you backlash with mono, thumb the Spool with alot of pressure as your reeling in the excess line, then engage the thumbar and strip the line off by hand. Usually the backlash will come off the spool with out picking it or cutting the line.It may require to tighten the drag for those who set them light. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 02:32 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

PNJ,
Thats also a good technique to use when throwing flourocarbon. Reduces kinks which as many already know can reduse the strength of the line.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 04:30 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

the best way i've found is to kinda wedge your thumb in the reel so the thumbnail is against the line.then a couple turns of the handle and your good to go.if it gets stuck again just repeat the thumb thing.DO NOT try to pull the line out before you do this or you will be relegated to picking.since i learned this trick i have NEVER had a backlash that didn't come out easy.and yes the powerpro comes out even easier.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.