Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-05, 08:35 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Which One?

Well, i have a choice here, a medium action spinning, or a medium heavy baitcaster. I fish from the shore, dont have acces to a boat. Which would you choose. I want casting distance but dont want to lose power
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 09:24 PM   #2
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111
Default Re: Which One?

me personaly would go with the medium heavy
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 09:45 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=PowerBass link=board=news;num=1110324920;start=0#0 date=03/08/05 at 18:35:20]Well, i have a choice here, a medium action spinning, or a medium heavy baitcaster. I fish from the shore, dont have acces to a boat. Which would you choose. I want casting distance but dont want to lose power[/quote]

I would first ask what you already have, and if you have a specific use for the new rod, or an all purpose type thing. There isn't any one answer that can cover everything, but if you are just looking for an all around rod, and you want distance, than a 6'6" MH Spinning rod would be MY choice. A 7' MED will get you some more distance, possibly, but I don't care for them that long. Again it's a personal preference thing. If you're are using it for cranks/spinners perhaps a baitcasting rod would be good. As I said no 1 answer for all the different applications IMO.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 09:52 PM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Personal preference 7' MH, but as noted above, you were very vague about the intended use of the setup. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 10:06 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Like others said, personal preference rules. For what it's worth, I do a huge amount of shore fishing and take one outfit with me. It's a spinning 6'6" medium, used with 10# mono or 14# Fireline. I use a wide variety of lures and this outfit handles them all to my satisfaction.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 01:43 AM   #6
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I agree with lizards...but with the shorline obstacles you have to be concerned with length. If there are a lot of trees and grown up brush along the shores of the impoundment you would be better served with a 5'6" rod. I've done a tone of shoreline fishing and won't take anything longer than a 6' rod if there is a lot of cover. If not, then get a 6'6" or seven foot. will also allow you to have a better hook to hit ratio at distance. It all depends on what you have and what you need and so on like the other guys said.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 02:55 AM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

If you are looking to gat a baitcaster I'd go with a 6-6 MH action. That length and action is the best all around IMO.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 05:53 PM   #8
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

well,
i think im going to get the spinnig, just because i get better distance with it
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:13 PM   #9
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

Casting distance would depend more on the reel. You would have more power with the bait caster.

What type of baits you fish should be the biggest reason. If you fish more finess lures you would want the spinning reel. If you throw deep diving cranks, or bigger sized plastics, jigs or carolina-rigs you would probably want a baitcaster. Heck just buy them both and then your only problem would be deciding on the size of line. :P
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 11:18 PM   #10
bigcheese43
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigcheese43

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1110324920;start=0#6 date=03/09/05 at 00:55:01]If you are looking to gat a baitcaster I'd go with a 6-6 MH action. Â*That length and action is the best all around IMO.[/quote]
ya i have a set up wotha 6'6 MH baitcaster and i love it!
bigcheese43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 11:41 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=trigr link=board=news;num=1110324920;start=0#8 date=03/09/05 at 17:13:36]Casting distance would depend more on the reel. You would have more power with the bait caster.

What type of baits you fish should be the biggest reason. If you fish more finess lures you would want the spinning reel. If you throw deep diving cranks, or bigger sized plastics, jigs or carolina-rigs you would probably want a baitcaster. Heck just buy them both and then your only problem would be deciding on the size of line. :P[/quote]

Well you will have one heck of a time trying to convince me a baitcaster can out distance a spinning reel. ??? Even with all the brakes off ect, it still has more drag from the spool then a spinning reel.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.