Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-05, 06:15 PM   #1
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Swim Baits

I was wondering if anyone here uses the big swim baits ? I went to bass pro shop and bought a pack of the Panther Martin Vivif 4" rainbow trout baits and fished one off a point yesterday to see if they would work. I caught a 5.4 lb Smallmouth bass. I went back today and bought bigger 6"-9" baits in various brands to try. I didn't think they would work in NY State in 54 degree water temperature but they did. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 12:56 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Swim Baits

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1117314941;start=0#0 date=05/28/05 at 17:15:41]I was wondering if anyone here uses the big swim baits ? I went to bass pro shop and bought a pack of the Panther Martin Vivif 4" rainbow trout baits and fished one off a point yesterday to see if they would work. I caught a 5.4 lb Smallmouth bass. I went back today and bought bigger 6"-9" baits in various brands to try. I didn't think they would work in NY State in 54 degree water temperature but they did. ;D P N J[/quote]

That's a Toad Smallmouth 8) I just bought some Storm, 6" swim baits, but haven't tried them yet. If you want a really big swim bait, cvheck out the boys in CA. Of course the bait costs like $150 a piece.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 07:06 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i havnt brought myself up to buying one yet, i like the smaller 2-3'' ones, but thats it so far. i guess with me living in florida, a big ole swimbait could produce some huge bass, maybe even a world record. i think i might just pick some up for the summer. see what i can get 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 10:33 PM   #4
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

I use the Storm shiners. I don't swim them much. Usually hop them of the bottom. They really look like a feeding baitfish.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:33 PM   #5
baldplate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to baldplate

what is an actual swim bait, and what do u mean by swimming them, are you talking about something like a sluggo.
baldplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:41 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

these are the storm wildeye swimbaits: swimming them is just chucking them out, and swimming(reeling) them in.
Old 05-29-05, 11:47 PM   #7
baldplate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to baldplate

ive got some in my tackle my brother put them in their but never caught any thing on it i have a clear shad with silver only their smaller. Like top left in the picture.
baldplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:50 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

you will find when fishing a swimbait, that you wont get a bass alot, but when you do get a bass it will be a very large bass(hopefully) most swimbait fisherman that only use a swimbait get about 1-2 bass a month. +/- depending on the time of year. the key is patience.
Old 05-30-05, 12:07 AM   #9
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason

im from sunny socal, swim baits down here are very famous for catching big bass. for me, however, still havent caught beans on one yet.

but a couple of things i heard bout these baits:
umm they catch big bass
very expensive like lizard said
u got to have a big *** pole just to heave these huge lures
and ummm i think, in my opinion takes a lil bit of the angling out of fishin. what i mean is, at casitas lake when swim baits were becoming popular 5oo 10lb plus bass were pulled out in 1 year. amazing i think, whats more amazing is it was being done by people with no bass or fishing experience at all. so ummm yeah sorta kinda like using live bait. just my opinion.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 12:15 PM   #10
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

I fish the charlie brand swimbaits, they come in 6 diff sizes ranging from 2" to a foot long, the smaller swimbaits tend to catch more smallies than largemouth,
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 09:25 PM   #11
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

[quote author=imege8 link=board=news;num=1117314941;start=0#8 date=05/29/05 at 23:07:21]im from sunny socal, Â*swim baits down here are very famous for catching big bass. Â*for me, however, still havent caught beans on one yet.

but a couple of things i heard bout these baits:
umm they catch big bass
very expensive like lizard said
u got to have a big *** pole just to heave these huge lures
and ummm i think, in my opinion takes a lil bit of the angling out of fishin. what i mean is, Â*at casitas lake when swim baits were becoming popular 5oo 10lb plus bass were pulled out in 1 year. Â*amazing i think, whats more amazing is it was being done by people with no bass or fishing experience at all. Â*so ummm yeah Â*sorta kinda like using live bait. Â*just my opinion. [/quote]

oh no, they don't work near good as live bait my friend. wild and even domestic shiners will out catch these things 10 to 1. This is simply a lure designed to catch big fish and only big fish, and it does that, just doesn't have a very high cast to catch rate.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.