Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-05, 02:54 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Questions on Changing To New Line

That spinning rod I told you guys about; i'm finally going to change the line on it but I have a couple of questions first.
1. The reel says that it can only hold 4, 6, and 8 lb. test line, but would it be okay to go into 10 lb. test line?

2. Is Cajun Line good at all?

3. If not Cajun Line, what else is good brand of line that isn't too expensive?

Thanks for all your time.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 04:00 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Questions on Changing To New Line

you can try 10lb, might have some rats nests tho. i would go with a 20lb braid line, it has a 6lb diameter. for your second ?, we have been over that. and for the 3rd, powerpro(its braid, its alittle pricy, but well worth it, you wont need to change it for a few years, unless you get knicks in it)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 07:44 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I will have to disagree on powerpro for a spinning reel. I use it exclusively now on my baitcasters until I find something better. But for spinning reels by far Fireline is a better line.

rrw8975685647389383,

First off remeber that if you put 20lb line on a 4-8 lb pole, odds are something is gonna break, and I doubt it will be you line

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 07:47 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thats a matter of opinion. i have tried fireline and think powerpro is by far better. that is just MY opinion of coarse
Old 05-22-05, 07:58 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I'll stick to trilene and be called old fashioned square lol

I just wonder how small the spool is on that spinning outfit and stick to 8 or something stronger the equiv of 8
Ya may wanna think about a nicer reel with more line capacity
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:11 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Jb, Â*YOU OLD FASHIONED SQUARE!!! Â*;D

bf, spinning rods don't rats nest... or at least for me

rrw, Â*Cajun red is an excellent line, my personal favorite mono, trilene XT ain't bad either. Â*

lizards, Â*Powerpro is fine for spinning rods, just make the rod has got good guides, or else the line will get all tangled up.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:20 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

LOL

Part of my problem is I have all this older tackle that was hot in the 90's and I havent had the cash to keep up on the new stuff.
Only thing new I plan on getting is these stick worms of various brands.
But just like all the rest of ya, I went for years buying stuff every weekend. I tried to get about 15 bucks a week....52 weeks a year in tackle, esp when I'd see some assclown win a tournie on something I didn't have LOL ;D
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:31 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

rrw, I'd stick with 8 lb. Â*That's what I use on all of mine. Â*One thing about spinning reels-they twist line. Â*If you have a boat, let it trail behind the boat as you are running-it will untwist and then reel it back on. Â*If you don't, when you get your new line spooled on, take it outside, open the bail, grab the end of the line with nothing tied on it and start walking. Â*When you get to the end, reel the line back on letting it run between your fingers to keep it tight on the spool. Â*It will untwist as you reel it back on. Â*That will save you the birdnests that sometimes occur with spinning gear.

I'm with JB-long time Trilene XL user.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:48 PM   #9
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

First, choose a spinning-friendly line, which means low memory and easy handling. Mechanically, your reel will work with heavier line, but you're inviting trouble. Line problems on spinning are minimized when you use relatively small line on relatively large spools.

If you really need stronger line on that reel I'd use one of the superlines in maybe 10 or 12# and ease off on the drag.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 09:07 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1116784442;start=0#5 date=05/22/05 at 19:11:05]
lizards, Powerpro is fine for spinning rods, just make the rod has got good guides, or else the line will get all tangled up.[/quote]

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said Fireline was superior on spinning reels IMO. And I have used both for a year on spinning reels, and keep going back to the Fireline for further casting. In no way do I think powerpro won't work, I just BELEIVE that the Fireline is better suited for spinning gear. And I have used them side by side many times, with the same hook, and plastics. If you use Powerpro on your spinning reels and are happy with it, then don't change. It's all about preference.

May I ask what lb of Fireline use used, and what lb of Powerpro you used? Theres a big difference going from 20lb Fireline to 30lb Fireline, and there a small difference going from 20 lb Powerpro, to 30lb Powerpro IMO. I use the 20lb Fireline on spinning, and the 30lb Powerpro on Baitcasters.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 09:37 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i used the same lb test on both, 20lb. it wasnt bad, i just had a better feeling to it. i didnt try it out as long tho, so maybe thats it. i tried it out for about 3 months. i found to be able to cast further with powerpro. but its just MO. i might give it another try. hula, you know how sometimes when you cast, a tangle of line will come out to? its hard to explain. i dont know the proper name for this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.