Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-05, 12:05 PM   #1
bassguy2004

Default High and low pressure systems

What do any of the fisherman out there do during these times? Do you do anything different during these adverse conditions?
Old 04-05-05, 12:42 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: High and low pressure systems

That's a good question. I will say I try to get out in the low pressure days if I can ;D But if it's a high pressure day the fish seem to go straight to cover, or deeper water. So I guess I would say yes I target these areas more so on highs. On lows. the edges, of docks and weeds will produce, but in the Highs, you need to get the bait in the heavy stuff, or under the docks etc.. IMO of course.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 12:55 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

High pressure usually means get out the worm or jig for me, I try to slow down because a clear blue sky usually means a front just moved in and the fishs bladder is effected, sometimes leaving them in a neutral mood...I use more natural color bait selection too...verses overcast day would tend to used firetiger as an example
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 02:36 PM   #4
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

High pressure/clear blue sky days I'll fish a lot deeper (Carolina Rig--slow, Dropshot--hold in their face), or I'll fish close to the banks as they hunker into the cover. There I'll try to get the reaction strike with a flaring spinnerbait or a crankbait off of some wood to "make" them hit b/c they're usually not "feeding".
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 05:20 PM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

1. When the pressure trend is high, the typical weather will call for clear skies. Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters. Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

2. When the pressure trend is rising, the typical weather will be clearing or improving. Fish tend to become slightly more active. Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

3. When the pressure is normal and stable, the typical weather will be fair. The fishing trend will be normal. Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

4. When the pressure begins to fall, the weather will begin degrading. During this perios the fish become more active. Speed up your lures. Surface and shallow water lures may work well.

5. When the pressure becomes slightly lower, the skies will usually become cloudy. Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive. Use shallow running lures at a moderate speed.

6. When the pressure trend becomes low, the weather will most likely be rainy and stormy. Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains. As the action subsides, try fishing at deeper depths.

It is important to note that after a long feeding period, the action will slow regardless of the following conditions. On the flip side, a long period of poor fishing conditions may be followed by a really good one.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 05:31 PM   #6
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

What exactly do you mean by pressure?
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 06:23 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Ree: High and low pressure systems

[quote author=Mr.Big link=board=news;num=1112713500;start=0#5 date=04/05/05 at 16:31:28]What exactly do you mean by pressure?[/quote]

"BAROMETRIC" pressure. It's a weather sensing device that tells about the air. You never feel it like animals and fish do. You can feel it some, but to fish it's a BIG DEAL. Watch your local weather, and when they say the barometer is rising, or falling, that's what they are talking about.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 06:46 PM   #8
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

Thank you for clearing that up for me. ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 06:47 PM   #9
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I always say fish when you can fish, no matter the conditions. Its alot less hassel than chasing women. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 07:26 PM   #10
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

How Pressure Affect Bass: Sorry for that lengthy explanation, but maybe this is the first time you've been able to better understand what barometric pressure is, as well as why fish are maybe more affected by these changes in their watery environment. One of the reasons bass are so challenging is that they seem more influenced by environmental changes like barometric pressure. These atmospheric pressure changes affect shallow water bass more than they do the deeper dwellers. It is thought that fish are able to monitor pressure changes via their swim bladder. We can assume that when barometric pressure goes up (higher), bass feel increased pressure on their swim bladder. The swim bladder might even compress. Does this make them feel lethargic, uncomfortable, less inclined to feed? Might high pressure even affect their equilibrium or sense of balance? Probably so on all counts, or at least that's what many people are theorizing at this moment. Recall how a bass reacts when it is kept out of the water longer than it normally take to release it? They turn on their side when you turn them loose. One plausible reason this might occur is that by being out of the watery environment for a while, their swim bladder expands considerably, fouling up their equilibrium. It probably takes a bass quite a long time to recover from this. Same deal with a marked air pressure change (up or down) which in turn affects the pressure in the water.

ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 11:44 AM   #11
bassguy2004

Thanks for the info guys. It will be stored in the memory banks to continue my quest of the double digit bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.