Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-05, 12:46 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Topwaters

I was just wonderin what some of the best topwaters there are out there. I am lookin for something cheap.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 02:16 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Topwaters

Well good plugs are never all that "cheap", but Pop-Rs are a good bait and they are fairly inexpensive. Also some propbaits can be a little cheaper, I use Nip-i-didees, boy howdies or devils horses - maybe 4 or 5 bucks if you can find them cheap. Zara Spooks are probably around 6 bucks, but they are an essential topwater.

A lot of people are high on Lucky Craft, but I'm not sure if they are exactly worth the price. I mean the entire Lucky Craft line basically tries to mimick the action of Pop-Rs, Spooks and other topwaters that have been around for years, just with a shinier, maybe more realistic finish. I'm not sure if they are worth 16 bucks a lure.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:21 PM   #3
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

With your top water baits, I use a "boogerman" buzzbait. This bait will clack if you desire, if you don't then it can be adjusted.
Runs true and maybe hard to find.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:23 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well buzzbaits can be pretty inexspensive at wally world, or other places, and work great. I love the Jitterbug, but it's gonna run you probaly $6 a piece. Now as for cheap, I wouldn't be horribly concerned about that if it floats, cuz unless you loose it to a big Hawg, it will just float up on top, so you can retireve it, be more concerned you have a strong line, that won't break. As WTL said, there are hundereds of topwaters out there, even frogs can be relatively inexspensive.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 06:09 PM   #5
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Cheap is as cheap does. Gump

You can buy painted poppers from Janns Netcraft for $1.59 and all you need to add are split rings and trebles.
The popper is a superb topwater that can be worked aggresively or with long pause and subtle pops.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Details.aspx?itemno=341218
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Details.aspx?itemno=341500

Bass Pro carries Lew's popper and Pencil stick (looks like Lucky Craft's Sammie) for 2.79 Â*and I clean house when the topwater bite is on for bass, pickerel and crappie.

Topwater frogs are also cheap - 2 bucks for King Rat at Walmart and in Bass Pro. My partner caught a 3 lb pickerel in the rain last season on the Rat.

Floating worms are great Texas Rigged and jerked/ swim in weeds.

Sporting goods stores many times have Yozuri topwaters on sale for 2.50 ea. Â*Superb interior design and action.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 06:36 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

JITTERBUGS lizards at the bps down here they run around 4-5
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:04 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1110556014;start=0#5 date=03/11/05 at 16:36:43]JITTERBUGS lizards at the bps down here they run around 4-5[/quote]

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:08 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

My favorite is the Jitterbug, which is about $4.50 in these parts. Others have suggested cheaper baits which you can buy, all of which will work.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:41 PM   #9
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

The cheapest top water i know is a $.25 bobber painted black, white, or chartreuse, 1/2" above a $.10 gold aberdeen #1 hook with a $.15 4" finesse worm...if ya want cheap, that should do ya. ;D
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 11:24 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1110556014;start=0#6 date=03/11/05 at 20:04:17]

Lizards[/quote]
sorry ;D ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 01:04 PM   #11
winddancer
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to winddancer

[quote author=WTL link=board=news;num=1110556014;start=0#1 date=03/11/05 at 12:16:33]
I mean the entire Lucky Craft line basically tries to mimick the action of Pop-Rs, Spooks and other topwaters that have been around for years, just with a shinier, maybe more realistic finish. Â*I'm not sure if they are worth 16 bucks a lure. Â*[/quote]

I am gonna diagree with with you WTL - what LC has done is take good baits and make them better. if you compare the action of a spook to a sammy you'll see the sammy doesnt just walk - it roll walks and at rest it floats tail down. Granted, they are not magic lures, but IMO they are better manufactured and have much better action and finishes than other baits. Anyway, rrw - they are not cheap, but I think they are way worth it. I like the sammy 100's and the gunfish. ;D
winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.