Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-05, 01:13 PM   #1
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin
Default Big Pike, not bass

Once i got this Mepps Timber doodle, silver and char. I would always use it cause it looked interesting, right? Well, turns out i never caught anything on it. Until... i got really frustrated with it so i tied it on with a leader and trolled one morning with my dad in about eight-ten feet of water. I had let out a ton of line, because the doodle kept resurfacing. so, weve been trolling for about an hour, and he is catching things every once and a while, and i am not, and suddenly i get this HUGE hit! simultaneously the water depth dropped to about twenty five feet. I'm reeling in this huge thing and just getting exhausted! It is so powerful that it swam deep the entire fight, right up to the boat. i actually reeled straight up from the boat's edge about twenty feet of line! meanwhile my dad catches a fish and is reeling, too. He went to the other side of the boat, and i keep reeling. Finally, i could see the fish, and it was gargantuous!!! It's head was as big as mine! and it was a pike, not a muskie. the fish was at the surface of the water, and i was trying to get my dad to look and help out because i was only like fourteen years old, and i tied to get a net, but as soon as my dad tried to look, the fish just turned his head gracefully and swam down deep and busted my leader, in half. faulty leader? possibly. but, that is the biggest fish ive ever "caught". Â*even though i didnt get it in the boat. How depressing huh? i was so bummed. And i keep trying the doodle, and i never catch anything on it. also disappointing! Â*~discgolfer

ps. i know this is a bass site, but still...
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 05:10 PM   #2
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI
Default Re: Big Pike, not bass

we definitely need a non-bass related board.............

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 06:48 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

;D ya lets move it to the non fishin related area. sounds like a nice pike tho
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 08:27 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Discgolfer, The timber doodle is a spoon type bait if I remember right. I use the Johnson silver spoons tipped with a white strike king pork o trailer for lake trout and pike here in NY.They work well during the winter fishing around points. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:42 PM   #5
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Hey! He isn't talking about an annoying little sunfish here. He's talking about a pike.

A lot of people here have never encountered them I'm sure. Pickerel perhaps. Pike:

1. Will hit the same lures bass will.
2. Are generally bigger.
3. Will live in the same water bass will.
4. You might think they are ugly, but if you want very ugly, try sticking a finger in their mouth.

Now, we've discussed this before. And I ask anyone who may read this and thinking about complaining:

IF YOU DID NOT WANT TO READ A THREAD ABOUT PIKE, WHY DID YOU CLICK ON A POST CLEARLY LABELED THAT IT WOULD BE ABOUT PIKE?

That is about as smart as not wanting to be stung a bee, so you throw a rock at the hive.

Pike are awesome. ;D
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:28 PM   #6
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lone,
I wonder why I never reply to any of your posts? Probably because I take the things you say about as serious as some of these people that post topics about shad fishing. And another thing when you capitalize all letters you are shouting and then I totally ignore what you are saying. So instead of taking the time to call me or anyone else out maybe you have some homework you could do instead! Oh and by the way I will reply to any post I want, if you don't like what I say do what I do to your posts and ignore them.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:06 AM   #7
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass

Hey, Disc.... I really liked your pike story, and am glad you took the time to post it.

Wish I could catch pike, but here in West Tennessee, it just ain't gonna happen. Closest I've gotten is pickerel ... which can be nasty little boogers for their size.
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 04:08 AM   #8
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

[glow=green,2,300] IF YOU DID NOT WANT TO READ A THREAD ABOUT PIKE, WHY DID YOU CLICK ON A POST CLEARLY LABELED THAT IT WOULD BE ABOUT PIKE? [/glow]

[glow=red,2,300] But if this is a Bass site why would you post a Pike thread?[/glow]

I don't care but this is kida obviously a Bass site and I think people have the right to post what ever . but next time put it in the non related board.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:05 PM   #9
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin

Sorry guys, i kinda jumped right in. I didnt realize where i was putting it (which board). Have you guys always had the non-fishing related board or not? i dont remember it from last time. However, it is fishing. BUt this is a bass board. Maybe i was just trying to get a message to you guys...thought you might like to hear it. I know the south doesnt get 'northern' pike, so i thought you may like it. got to run! see ya and thanks for the input, on all of my mediocre posts. ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:21 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

nope, we didnt always have a non fishin related board. it was a tourny board but with all the non fishin bs flyin around we finally got kevin to change it.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 01:04 AM   #11
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Disc,

Great story! I like all types of fish. At least the story was about a fish and not about something completely different.

The non-fishing related board is fairly new.

Sandra

bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.