Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-04, 09:06 PM   #1
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass
Default Economy baitcasters

Sure, I'd love to buy the $300 reels... but I can't.

So forgive me if this has been asked before, but what would some of you recommend for a reasonably-priced baitcaster? And what brand rod?

I'd like something medium-weight, and I'm thinking of spending around $100 (at most). There's a BPS here in Memphis with a huge -- too huge! -- selection to choose from.

Thank you very much,
~Gregory
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 09:32 PM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: Economy baitcasters

Get a Zebco Rhino Reel. Â*My wife has one. Darn good reel for the money. I've used ones that cost twice as much that didn't do the job as well. They cost less than 50 bucks around here at Wally World. Â*BPS has a lot of rods in the price range you're looking at. Â*What do you want to use it for?
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 09:43 PM   #3
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll look into the Rhino, Cajun...thanks. The word "Zebco" brings back memories, since my very first reel -- probably 30 years ago -- was a Zebco33. I loved that thing, fished the heck out of it.

I'm going to need an all-around baitcaster because I'm just getting back into bass-fishing after a long hiatus. So it'll have to handle everything from worms to cranks to spinnerbaits. Later on, I'll specialize.

~G.

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1101859604;start=0#1 date=11/30/04 at 19:32:02]Get a Zebco Rhino Reel. Â*My wife has one. Â*Darn good reel for the money. Â*I've used ones that cost twice as much that didn't do the job as well. Â*They cost less than 50 bucks around here at Wally World. Â*BPS has a lot of rods in the price range you're looking at. Â*What do you want to use it for?[/quote]
Old 11-30-04, 10:15 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Cajun certainly has my respect and the respect of everybody here, but to me the name Zebco means "garbage". Sure fishing with the 33s when you are a kid is fun, but its not the reel that makes it so.

I highly recomend pinnacle reels for value. The performance is extremly tough to beat and you can get one for around 50$ as well. BPS brand reels are supposedly made by pinnacle, and we have several people here who elect to use BPS brand reels even over more expensive models.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:21 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

well if you want an all around good rod, get a 6'6" MH rod. Â*Here are a couple good combos for $100 or less.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse Â*
This one is at the top of my list, but its a bit pricey if you only want to spend 100.
Â*Heres another good BPS combo.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

There are several other cheaper combos you can get. Just know this, as far as buying rods and reels goes, you get what you paid for.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:44 PM   #6
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

That set-up looks terrific... thanks for the link. Â*One more reason to go to the BPS... my wife is probably rolling her eyes already. Â*;D

If I were to get this one, I would probably choose the 6.3:1 reel over the 5.2:1 -- unless someone can tell me otherwise?

~g.

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1101859604;start=0#4 date=11/30/04 at 20:21:59]well if you want an all around good rod, get a 6'6" MH rod. Â*Here are a couple good combos for $100 or less.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse Â*
This one is at the top of my list, but its a bit pricey if you only want to spend 100.[/quote]
Old 11-30-04, 11:44 PM   #7
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fatdaddy151

I would say go with the Extreme combo. Some people from this site suggested the Extreme reel to me, so I purchased one and fell in love with it! I don't know about the rod, but I would assume that it is okay. Also, if this is going to be your only baitcasting combo I would say the 6.3:1 is a fine choice. If you going to need to fish slow you'll just have to force yourself to do it.
Fatdaddy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 12:33 AM   #8
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Triton,

I'm with WTL go with Pinnacle reels. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I have two Janis Metal HS reels. They are my first baitcasters I have ever purchased and I love them. I'm like you and price played a major factor into why I went with the Pinnacle as well as the fact it was one of the few baitcaster reels I could get for under $100.00 in left hand crank. I paid around $70.00 this summer for my first one at Gander Mountain and just bought the second one on E-Bay for $40.00. The one I got off of E-Bay is in great shape and will go on a rod I need to repair a guide on. Pinnacle reels are actually made by Silstar in S. Carolina. Check them out at silstar.com.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:22 AM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
we have several people here who elect to use BPS brand reels even over more expensive models.
And I'm one of them. All I use are the Extremes. Smooth as silk, cast real well, and are very durable. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a good baitcaster for a reasonable price-matter of fact they are on sale right now for $49. The Extreme rods are excellent rods, but I do not like the hump handle they have so I pair the reel with an AllStar Classic rod. Regardless what you decide on, IMO you can't go wrong with a 6-6 MH action rod for an all around bass fishing setup.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 05:59 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

In case it's not clear, a Zebco Rhino baitcasting reel is not a Zebco 33. Yes, Zebco 33's at least used to be "garbage", I haven't used one in years, so I don't know if they still are or not. I think the Zebco Rhino rods are pretty much junk. But that baitcasting reel is a steal for the money.

The others reels other people have mentioned are probably good. I don't know, never used them. I have used the Rhino Baitcaster. I plan to get a couple more of them.

catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 06:06 PM   #11
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

gotta go with canjun. i bought two of them two years ago. fished them hard the frist year for bass. threw all types of baits. as time went on got better reels bps and curdos. for the money they our great for someone getting back into fishing. as time goes on and you can afford better get it, for now you won't be wasting your money on getting a rhino baitcasster or spinning reel. i use them now for catfishing mostly they prefrom well biggest cat was right a 15lbs. the reel preformed well as any other.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 07:57 PM   #12
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys are a pretty good group to ask -- no shortage of opinions in this bunch ;D

Thanks for your help and advice... now I have a much better idea of what to get (or what to tell Santa to get).

~Gregory
Old 12-01-04, 10:52 PM   #13
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I have 3 rod/reel combos from BPS, I didnt see the bionic blade mentioned. Mines a spinning rod(they have both) my other two are BPS extreme the ones hula had posted. All mine are 7' and have had virtually 0 problems with them. Probably going to buy another spin combo and baitcaster combo. My choice I like both depending on what Im doing. Still cant throw soft plastics on a baitcaster to save my life. I purchased these combos for under $100.00, and I believe Reb said they are on sale for $49.00. Great price!
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 11:53 AM   #14
sml_jaws
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sml_jaws

i also have got one of the bps extreem combos and it seems to work really well. i also have a shimano curado and bps extreem combo that is my all around do everything setup reel is awsome. i use a 7' mh rod for just about everything i do.and if u watch the sale cataloges i think u can buy that combo now at bps for about 150 bucks.a great deal. the extrem combo is now 100 bucks. my opinion spend the extra 50 bucks and get the shimano. i think u will b much happier with it.
sml_jaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.