Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-05, 01:39 AM   #1
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy
Default shimano scorpions!!

just wondering if anyone has used these, my buddy got one, came straight from japan, and holy cow, he bought the curado and it makes mine feel like crap
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 07:03 AM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: shimano scorpions!!

I have had & used the scorpions, the only reason they would be better is because Shimano reels are made in 2 different places. RayWill is the expert ,let him tell you why.IL.Bassin ,that was probably the reel from Japan that you were supposed to get.Is the scorpion reel red in color or is it green ? ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:20 PM   #3
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

its red, i also noticed it had a different line capacity too
Old 05-09-05, 04:55 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

[img] http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bai...s/image005.jpg [/img]
Heres the poop on adjusting the brakes, just like most of the shimano reels
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 07:24 PM   #5
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

Never mind Shimano Scorpion! American Versions are more than good enough for bass fishing.

Buy a Daiwa TD-X103HSD-F that is proven reel and make PnJ happy. Once in a while he gives $100 in cash to help someone buy the reel. Am I right, PnJ?

Please do not judge Shimano reels by using Malay made Shimanos. Cardiff, Curado BSF, and 100B are good for the money if you are interested in Shimano.
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 08:17 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

he forgot to add beat it like you stole it cause he did..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 08:32 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Boise, If you want to make me happy, buy the reel that you can afford.Get out and fish like tomorrows the last day on earth and then when tomorrow comes and you wake up and are still alive, repeat the process until infinity or until your vacation days are gone. ;D If you expect your curado to compete with the Scorpion reel, you must upgrade your bearings to a Abec bearings. If I am not mistaken, I believe that is the difference between the two reels.They are not a cheap purchase though and the price difference of the Scorpions reflect that. That is if you want to compare or want the performance of the scorpion. I personally would not recommend the cost for the upgrade, I would use Quantum hot sauce in the existing bearings, do not oil or grease the anti - reverse roller bearing. Leave that bearing as is, you can also apply hotsauce to the inner centrifugal ringwith a Q tip. This seems to help the casting distance a little, and the hotsauce seems to bond to most surfaces so it should last a while before reapplying. I hope this helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 08:49 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

The Japantackle site that is one of the sponsors of bassfishin.com has some interesting reading material about Japanese tackle. If I remember, one of the differences they were talking about were that the spools in the scorpion are lighter and hence start revolving more quickly (and don't get too much mo', thus reducing backlashes with light lures), hence scorpions tend to be known as a finess baitcaster. Now like Jackl replied in the thread about props, when it comes to speed and performance its a matter of how much you wanna spend. If you just wanna catch bass, get a pinnacle, get a cardiff, get a garcia or a diawa (and stay the hell away from quantum mag gears ;D - zebco trash). If you want to ohh and ahh at a fancy, "pimped" out racehorse of a reel then go ahead and burn 250 on a scorpion or calais, then if you want to add to that ego some more they got everything on that japantackle site, upgrade spools made of magnesium, graphite handles with burlwood grips - hell get the reel one of those paintjobs they put on cars that change color with the angle of the light. It wont help you catch bass though.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 09:32 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

the wife got me a scorpion for christmas..it is a sweet reel..cast a country mile,i use it for traps and grubbin zooks.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 01:28 AM   #10
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I am gonna stick with my american shimano reels those scorpions are just to much for my budget right now, i cant explain to my buddies why i spent 300$ on a reel
Old 05-10-05, 08:44 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=boisebassin link=board=news;num=1115613582;start=0#9 date=05/10/05 at 00:28:26]I am gonna stick with my american shimano reels those scorpions are just to much for my budget right now, i cant explain to my buddies why i spent 300$ on a reel[/quote]

There are a few differences between the American made ones and the Japan ones. Nothing that has sent tingles up my spine. If you want to buy one check out ebay, they have them listed ALL THE TIME. If I want to upgrade, then I go to the Chronarch or the Calais(by the way there isn't an Japn upgraded version of the Calais from anywhere I can find), which says it's as good as it gets. I have one, and they are a heck of a lot nicer than the Curado, but they cost tons more. The Curado's will catch fish just as well, and break adjustments make a huge difference as I just proved again to myself yesterday. I had 4 on, and took 2 of those off, so I was casting with only 2 on. WOW i got probably another 10-15 feet on my casts.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 06:35 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wtl
although the newer version's of the quatum mag gears are not exactly great never turn down a chance to snatch up and older model-new ones are dark grey old ones are silver- they might make more noise than cat covering crap on a tile floor but never failed to cast and retrive like they were brand new. pnj even went the extra mile in fixing a ancient mag gear that is 25 years old. i am currantly trying to change all my mag gears to energy ptx reels. but at $200 each it may take sa few years.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 04:47 AM   #13
jd3hayes
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jd3hayes

Here is a link I found that shows some differences between the Curado and Scorpion.

http://www.profishing.net/scstore/details/sco_1000.htm

I wouldn't mind having a scorpion in my arsenal but not for some time.

-islandbass
jd3hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 06:39 AM   #14
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1115613582;start=0#1 date=05/09/05 at 06:03:07]IL.Bassin ,that was probably the reel from Japan that you were supposed to get. P N J[/quote]

Dang that hurt. Lizards suggested ebay. If you go that route I wouldn't suggest getting one from Japan. Look for one in the good ole USA. I'm offering this advice for free, it cost me $40 and alot of trouble. (P-N-J I got some of my money back) I'm not gonna say that all the ebayers from Japan will rip you off but by the time you find a good one you might have alot of money tied up in that reel.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.