Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-05, 01:35 AM   #1
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy
Default need some help with jigs???

I was out fishing today and cold front had rolled in and i couldnt buy a bite, i tried everything and i saw this other guy fishing a jig and pig and he was doing pretty well, what are some tips for fishing jig, IE do you swim them, bounce them, i have no clue
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 07:43 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: need some help with jigs???

If you use a pork or plastic chunk type trailer...either regular or swimming type, mount it on the hook so the chunk rides up and the legs of the trailer are on the extreme bottom. I know others may tell you different, but you do get better action with the lure with the "legs" down.

You can use a variety of retrieves.....dragging, dragging with an occasional hop, swimming near the bottom, bumping into stumps and rocks, then killing....etc...etc....
Whatever you do, set the hook the first time you feel anything at all. Normally a fish makes you feel two bumps, the first is when he picks it up, the second is the fish spitting it out and usually very little time between...

You may want to do a search on this board...I remember someone posting a great response, very carefully thought out and well written blow by blow information.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 07:53 AM   #3
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

I've been tying Flash jigs (using artificial irridescent fibers) and small plastic frogs in open water and been clobbering them with a jerk-swim-& - fall retrieve. I'm getting post spawn pickerel and prespawn bass in 6' over and near weed beds. Jig size is only 1/16 oz. but allows for a nice, slow, controlled fall. Even crappie are chew'n on them. So far my flash jig has been more productive than most plastics, with or without a trailer.

SS
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 10:49 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Boisebassin, I am not sure the exact thing to do, but I would start by increasing the jig weight and using a smaller jig trailer than normal. Sometimes you have to saturate the targets with multiple casts before a fish will strike.You must be accurate, cold fronts shrink the strike zone considerably.The switch to a heavier jig will create a reaction bite that you may not get from a lighter weight jig. The smaller trailer profile allows you to hook the fish instead of him pulling on the trailer appendages.I hope this helps you, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 10:58 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

on trees, just cast them as close as you can to the tree. the hop the jig and shake it. arond grass either slowly swim it, or hop it all the way back. i alway hop the jig on the retrieve, sometimes more then other times. depending on what im doing. let the jig sit for a few minutes, shake it, cause as much motion with it as you can with it staying in that one spot. dont be afraid to cast it into the nastiest stuff you can find. braid is a must here. swimming is not what you want to do in your situation. letting it sit is what you need to do, and on the retrieve hop it back a few times and stop, let it sit for a few seconds ang begin hoping again. hope this helps.

p.s-rattles on the jig is a very good idea here.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 12:34 AM   #6
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

http://home.comcast.net/~rkrz/infoarch/fyifinetune.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~rkrz/eblures/index.htm

Read and duplicate!

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 09:57 PM   #7
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

well we are going through some crappy weather, rain then sun and back and forth, but i finally did get some fish, i used a white booyah jig with a blue pork trailer and just pitched into sunken trees, thanx guys
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.