Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-05, 06:51 PM   #1
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Juan19
Default newbie from another board

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself as being new to this site. I have been checking it out and like what I see.
I am known as newtobass on the other board but with a year under my belt I think I am an expert now. LOL.
I am always looking for people in my neck of the woods in Western Mass in the foothills of the Berkshires.
Joe
Juan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 07:43 PM   #2
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King
Default Re: newbie from another board

Welcome Joe. As you will find out if you haven't already there are alot of good folks on this board to learn from. We all like to razz each other at times so it helps to have thick skin.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 08:04 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Hey Joe, To my knowledge there isn't a whole lot of us Yankees here, You have Marty and I from NY and Lone Archer from Maine.Stick around, I'll pick your brain. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 08:16 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

theres a swarm!!!!! ;D ;D lots of people joinin lately. what did you do reb? ;D im just kiddin, its always good to have extra bass knowledge on the board. make sure to keep the waders near as the sh*t gets pretty deep.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 08:31 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I didn't do anything, 02. Just lucky I guess ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:11 PM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

welcome joe..beware of the trolls.enjoy..another old fa*t like me i see.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:16 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Kevin has got to be the luckiest of all. I wonder where this site ranks among hits for bass fishing forums.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:11 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Welcome to the unofficial Bassaholics annonymous site Enjoy the show, and jump in at anytime. As already stated lots of good guys here, and tons of knowledge to be had.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:23 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

WTL,i did a search on msn,google and yahoo for bassfishin and this board came up 1st all 3 times
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 09:58 AM   #10
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

I NEVER THIUGHT OF THIS SITE AS A B.A. BUT I GUESS THAT IS WHAT I'LL USE IT AS. JUST THINK IF I COULD BE FISHING I WOULDNT BE HERE! ;D
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 06:40 PM   #11
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!! I will try to add to the posts as best I can but like I said I have only been Bass fishin for one year but I have thirty years experience as a Dare I say, Fly fisherman.
I am hoping on combining the two sports but right now I am having fun using them thar HUGE imitations that are used.
I have very thick skin so I can handle any comments about flyfishin.Bring it on!!!! ;D
Old 05-03-05, 06:42 PM   #12
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

I love flyfishing for bass. I think I'm not the only one here who does it either.
Old 05-03-05, 06:49 PM   #13
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1115070697;start=0#11 date=05/03/05 at 17:42:38]I love flyfishing for bass. Â*I think I'm not the only one here who does it either. Â*[/quote]
What kind of flies do you use and what size rod and line weight?
Old 05-03-05, 06:56 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

it takes some skill to fly fish. anybody that fly fishes i have great respect for.i dont think that i could fly fish, but i might give it a try one day.
Old 05-03-05, 07:35 PM   #15
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115070697;start=0#13 date=05/03/05 at 17:56:01]it takes some skill to fly fish. anybody that fly fishes i have great respect for.i dont think that i could fly fish, but i might give it a try one day.[/quote]

There is nothing to be afraid of. It is just like any other style of fishing. Just takes practice to learn to cast the line. It is all in the timing.I have taught kids of all ages and even the real old kids.
When you catch your first fish on a flyrod I will gurantee you will be hooked. There is just nothing like seeing this big mouth come out of the water and grab something you can barely see.
I say give it a try sooner rahter than later.
Once you learn to cast and catch fish is when it can get complicated but you can always just go the the local tackle shop and buy your flies instead of tying your own.
Ok that is the end of my speech. good luck.
Old 05-03-05, 08:03 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

it just looks like you need alot of room to flyfish. i fish from shore and alot of places barely has an opening and i dont see how i can cast a flyrod in that kind of situation. but when i get older and get a boat and can travel then i will give it a try. also, it has such a small handle to reel in the lure. why is that? why isnt it just a regular handle?
Old 05-03-05, 08:14 PM   #17
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115070697;start=0#15 date=05/03/05 at 19:03:16]it just looks like you need alot of room to flyfish. i fish from shore and alot of places barely has an opening and i dont see how i can cast a flyrod in that kind of situation. but when i get older and get a boat and can travel then i will give it a try. also, it has such a small handle to reel in the lure. why is that? why isnt it just a regular handle?[/quote]

The reel is basicly just to hold the line even though you could use it to play the fish. I prefer to just grab hold of the line and play the fish that way. You feel more connected to the fish which in my mind makes it that much more fun.
As far as casting you can learn to do what is known as a roll cast and still get the fly out there with some practice. Not a hard thing to learn at all with just minimal help from a knowledgeable person.
Most fly fishermen I know are more that happy to help someone with a genuine desire to learn the art of flyfishing.
Old 05-03-05, 08:15 PM   #18
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

02, in order to bring in a lure (fly), you pull in the line with your hand. The only time you use the reel handle is when fighting a big fish or reeling in slack line.

Joe,
Normally I use arcadia popping bugs (also for bream), big dry flies that imitate grasshoppers or crickets and clouser minnows, wooly buggers and other similar streamers. I have even tied a few crude crayfish patterns that redeye bass will eat up.
Old 05-03-05, 08:15 PM   #19
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=MessBoards;num=1115070697;start=0#2 date=05/02/05 at 19:04:56]Hey Joe, To my knowledge there isn't a whole lot of us Yankees here, You have Marty and I from NY and Lone Archer from Maine.Stick around, I'll pick your brain. ;D P N J[/quote]
what part of NY?
I am about 60 miles from Albany.
Old 05-03-05, 08:21 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

he is from bath,ny. now im getting interested ;D how do you reel the line in with your hand? what i mean is dont you have to hold the pole with one hand, and the other hand you pull, but when you have to let go to grab it again, wont the fish pull the line out that you just got? i have seen some of the casts watching a flyfishing show. it is actually interesting.
Old 05-03-05, 08:27 PM   #21
ByronVelvick

I normally hold the rod in my right, hang my index finger and thumb around the grip, and strip or pull the line through those two digits.
Old 05-03-05, 10:27 PM   #22

[glow=blue,2,300][move]WELCOME!![/move][/glow]

Hey, hope you enjoy the site. Lots of good people here.

Sandra
Old 05-04-05, 12:19 AM   #23
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Welcome aboard the board. Jump in and stay awhile. Cabin fever starting to run down, should be safe for a little while. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 05:59 PM   #24
Juan19
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115070697;start=0#19 date=05/03/05 at 19:21:02]he is from bath,ny. now im getting interested ;D how do you reel the line in with your hand? what i mean is dont you have to hold the pole with one hand, and the other hand you pull, but when you have to let go to grab it again, wont the fish pull the line out that you just got? i have seen some of the casts watching a flyfishing show. it is actually interesting.[/quote]
Byron gave a good answer to the technique for playing the fish. If you decide to give it a try, do yourself a favor and see if you can borrow a good rod from someone before you buy one. Don't go out and buy a Wallyworld special because you will only get frustrated because it is the rod that does all the work.
Check with a local Trout Unlimited chapter in your area. They hold free seminars and fly tying classes.
Old 05-04-05, 07:27 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

unless they have a trout unlimited for saltwater trout, then i dont think that is down here. but i will look into flyfishing. my uncle has a flyfishing rod, maybe he can teach me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.