Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-05, 09:08 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Frogs

Does anybody have good luck with topwater frogs, the plastic ones? Where and When do ya work them? What are some good brands and how much do they cost?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 09:26 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Frogs

Frogs or a mouse can be deadly in the middle of summer esp if there is a mat of flora, or just cruddy old moss that floats to the top and provides a canopy for the bass,,its nice and dark and good spot to beat the summer light and heat.
What I like to do is take the frog, and cast towards the bank and scoot it back about 1 foot at Â*a time over the moss, the bass with come up and try to hit throw the moss, and it about startles the crap out of the angler.
Another approach is to work it through vegetation and again i just move it in short trusts, and if a bass does take it I may wait just a tad longer than a jig hookset to let her have it
As far as brands I get a kmart green with silicone skirts for legs and 2 big hooks that come up from the tail side to the back,, they are all the same, some have a ball rattle in them, they all are a cheapo bait but usefull esp in ponds with lots of frogs and moss [img] http://espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoo...GrassBass5.jpg [/img]
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 10:49 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

wow, i didnt even know kmart sold fishin supplies. anyways, i like to use them on top of hydrilla mats or grass mats. i have a few(thanks Scott) and have used them a few times out in the ponds. they are a very good topwater bait. i like to do a stop and go technique, change the intervals up alittle. all in all, a good lure.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 10:53 PM   #4
bassguy2004

Frogs can be deadly. Here at the delta there a weed patches that just call for a frog. Toss it out, work it back like a topwater popper and hang on.
Old 04-06-05, 11:18 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

A few things you need to know about frogs.

1. They are the absolutely most frustrating lure on the planet.(the premade ones as shown by JB)
2. Wait until you feel the fish pulling the line. It's almost impossible to learn this the first dozen or so times, a bass slams it on the moss, or weeds.
3. A Superline or NO-Stretch line is a definate advantage here.
4. There has yet to be a premade frog that I believe the hook-ups are good with(OK start your parade of nay sayers now).
5. Anytype of plastic works well in place of a frog, being hopped on the vegetation. The fish aren't SEEING it anyway, so what it is is irrelavant. This is why I use a Lizard instead of a frog. It still is a great bait when seen, but the hook-ups are 2-1 with it versus a premade frog.
6. I have recently purchased some Frogs that require you to rig yourself. I believe I will like these, since I can set the hook up how I know I will have a good hook-up ratio.

Lastly, Lizards are much better than frogs

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 09:04 AM   #6
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

http://www.netbait.com great frog soft plastics
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 09:23 AM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing I like to do after a blowup ( the bass charges through the canapy of moss and leaves a pocket of water ) I follow up with a Zoom Lizard (green gaurd) and hang on
For one thing, the bass probably never felt the hooks of the frog,
second, she's shown where she is hunting and is probably still hungrey,
the dif plastic bait now it in the water and easy to locate, due to the sunlight now poking through the new hole.
Like I said before, you can get the sh#t startled out of you when peacefully working a frog atop the moss and the bass blasting it from underneath..my ratio to blowups to hookset is probably you get one out of every 5 misses
Old 04-07-05, 10:43 AM   #8
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

I agree, I have put many of NC bass on the Stratos in hot June, July, Aug. & Sept. with a frog. Fun to fish to, just remember, after the take count, "1, 2, " then set the hook. Give her time to take it. Tight lines/
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 10:50 AM   #9
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Ditto for Larry's Netbait frogs. They are a little smaller than what I would prefer but they have a great swimming action and you can hook them up as you please like Lizards mentioned.
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 11:32 AM   #10
bassguy2004

You really have to wait to feel the weight of the fish, then slam the hook to 'em.
Old 04-07-05, 01:47 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh yeah, you can also put BB's in the frog for a cheap rattle. And don't forget lots of scent to help it slide over the vegetation.

Lizards
Old 04-07-05, 02:17 PM   #12
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

what action rod? I will be using a 6 mh with a rat plastic this summer and ill be buying frogs also. Is a mh the way to go? or should i use sometheing lighter, parents are gonna put me in a loony bin if i buy one more rod ;D
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 03:36 PM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I use med-heavy on all my sticks, I have one heavy for some flipping, but really enjoy the med-heavy better,
I think that should do the trick on horsing a bass out of most cover..of course if you ever get really serious about cranking all day with crankbaits I would recommend a fibroglass rod, you can see how dif the rod tip is and feel the thump of the bait moving IMO
Old 04-07-05, 04:27 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1112832493;start=0#12 date=04/07/05 at 14:36:53]I use med-heavy on all my sticks, I have one heavy for some flipping, but really enjoy the med-heavy better,
I think that should do the trick on horsing a bass out of most cover..of course if you ever get really serious about cranking all day with crankbaits I would recommend a fibroglass rod, you can see how dif the rod tip is and feel the thump of the bait moving IMO[/quote]

I agree with JB, a MH will work just fine. I would reccomend a little bit more in length, perhaps a 6'6" but yours will work just fine.

Lizards
Old 04-07-05, 05:36 PM   #15
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

I made my own frog and I'll put him up against any frog on the market this little guy slay's.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 05:40 PM   #16
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually th legs help it out quite alot , but the spinner and jointed legs watch out.
Old 04-07-05, 05:44 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

if that was a reply to the post i made, i deleted it because i sawthat it wasnt a treble, just one of those two hook hooks(not sure what they are called)anyways, have you got out to try it? thought you were still covered in snow up there.
Old 04-07-05, 05:48 PM   #18
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

I'ts the bomb in my local simming pool I pay a guy to use it in the local swimming pool. I flip him ten bucks and he lets me try out my new baits works awsome.

Robby.
Old 04-07-05, 05:53 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i used to try out the new lures i got in my fish tank, thats untill my mom caught me ;D but it worked good.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.