Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-08, 05:23 PM   #1
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line for jigs

I know that a lot of proes don't like braided line for football jigs because they think thaty its more visible. Is that only with braided line over 15#, or all line weights. I use 10# braid which has a diameter of 1-2# line. With braid that thin can fish still see it?
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 07:24 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think that they can still see it. Up here I use straight fluoro or a 6-10' fluoro leader on braid. If you are flipping the heavy stuff going for reaction strikes you probably don't need a leader with braid, but open water with a football head I like the lower visibility of fluoro.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 08:26 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think that they can still see it. Up here I use straight fluoro or a 6-10' fluoro leader on braid. If you are flipping the heavy stuff going for reaction strikes you probably don't need a leader with braid, but open water with a football head I like the lower visibility of fluoro.

straight flouro guy here. braid for flipping and frogs but that is it.
Old 11-08-08, 08:56 PM   #4
Basscrazie

I will let you know after tommorow..Our lakes here are stained color and i don't think they are nearly as clear as up north.
I broke one off using the light braid setting the hook with the drag to tight so its the big stuff now.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 08:59 AM   #5
Cranebird

The pros use non braided line for football jigs because you want that stretchy slingshot effect in your presentation.It is very effective when fishing spider grubs on a football head.

You sweep the rod tip to the side slowly dragging the football head on the bottom until it snags up.

Keeping tension on the snagged football head , you slowly increase the pressure until the football head pops free of the snag.

Imediately drop your rod tip to stop the slingshot momentum and allow the football head to fall to the bottom . Take up the required slack and repeat the sequence.

It works extremely well where there are smallmouths present.All spider grubs are not created equal. 2 spider grubs that work better than what I have tried are Chompers brand and a Arkie brand.These 2 brands have alot of appendage movement when fished ultra slow crawling along the bottom.

Braid does not get the same presentation, even when tried with a limber glass rod. I hope this helps. Ivan
Old 11-09-08, 09:14 AM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

Hey jig fisherman,

Be sure to check out the BassFishin.Com Fishing Line Guide. We cover all the different types of jigs, including football jigs and the recommended line types/sizes.

Also we have a Production Video about Selecting the Proper Jig Equipment, and it covers line type/sizes in some detail.

Welcome Aboard!

Kevin
Old 11-09-08, 10:12 AM   #7
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes. Braid is opaque regardless of the diameter. On the other side of the coin, just because they can see the line doesn't mean they won't bite in many cases. I am speaking from personal experience.

With that said, braid wouldn't be my first choice in ultra clear water, but I wouldn't let that stop me from fishing if all I had were braid.
Old 11-18-08, 06:31 PM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For jigs I use 50 lb braid with a 17 lb Flouro leader. Works great both in heavy cover as well as being worked along the bottom.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.