Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-05, 11:40 PM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trolling motor tight

I have an older model foot control trolling motor that has the cable for turning. It's not one with the electric turn, if you know what I mean. Well, the problem is, it seems like it takes quite a bit of effort and pressure on the foot pad to turn it. I took the head off of it today and checked the gears and they look great, no rust at all. Is there a way to lube this thing to make it easier to turn? Or does anyone think the problem might be in the cable itself? This thing was manufactured in 1995.

I tried taking the shaft out today with no luck, it looks as if the ring that holds the shaft in place is machine pressed in somehow.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 12:21 AM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: Trolling motor tight

BassBooger, Check to see if there is a tension adjustment on the foot pedal. I can't remember, but I think I tightened or loosen the bolt on the foot pedal and it changed the pedal pressure. I always buy a hand held models now.Its seems easier to concentrate while fishing for me without having to deal with the pedal pressure to get the boat steered in the right direction. I hope this helps, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 01:40 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Is it hard to turn in one direction? If so you have a bent shaft. It doesn't take much. You can straighten them out sometimes by applying pressure in the right direction (pushing on it).

There is also a bearing collar about halfway down the shaft you can lube. I'd shoot it with WD-40 or something first to break up any "crud" that in there, then put some greese on the bearings.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 10:14 AM   #4
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It isn't hard to turn in one specific direction. It is hard to turn either way. I have checked the shaft and it's not bent. I will check to see if it has a tension bolt, then I'll shoot it some WD-40 and see what I can get.

Thanks for the advice guys.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.