Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-05, 02:04 PM   #1

Default Fishing Farm Pond In Oklahoma

I am new to Oklahoma and I have never fished in a farm pond in my entire life. I know there are bass small perch in the pond. There are some fallen trees along the shoreline, but the middle of the pond seems to be clear. There is green stuff (could be grass) growing in the wather just off the shoreline. Can you tell me what would be the best thing to use in the pond, the best time to try to fish it. It seems like the perch like worms, but the bass just don't seem to like anything. What could I be doing wrong?.....and yes, I am not a trophy fisherman....just a guy who likes to fish without any fishing knowledge. Please Help!
Old 03-29-05, 08:20 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Fishing Farm Pond In Oklahoma

Lonnie, farm ponds are some of the best places to fish. You mentioned worms-are they live bait or artificial? Most of us use lures, so we can point you in the right direction with those. Sounds like you are just starting to get into bass fishing, so here is a great link that will get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

Just from your description I would try a soft jefkbait like a Zoom Super Fluke:

or a stick bait like a Tiki Stick:

I rig them weedless:

But I keep the point of the hook inside the bait rather than bringing it out and use no weight. Cast it out along that weedline and work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:30 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Farm ponds are great, especially if you are using a Lizard. IMO it's the best bait for small ponds. Of course you'll get 150 different answers from a 150 different anglers

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:22 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1112115861;start=0#2 date=03/29/05 at 18:30:53]Farm ponds are great, especially if you are using a Lizard. Â*IMO it's the best bait for small ponds. Â*Of course you'll get 150 different answers from a 150 different anglers

Lizards[/quote]

Yes, you will. Nice thing-or bad thing, depending how you look at it-is all are correct. That is both part of the fun and the challenge: Finding what they will hit.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:27 PM   #5
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

There best thing about stock tanks (or farm ponds, or golf course ponds) is that for the most part, they are rarely fished. You have a captive audience just waiting to be fooled. Have a good time.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 11:30 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

is it spawning in oklahoma yet ??? if it is, then you will have a field day. just look for the beds. and take a worm, and just set it on the bed. or, slowly reel the weightless worm over the bed. or take a small booyah spinnerbait in chartruese and swim it threw the bed. slowly. make sure to not keep the bass out of the water to long and release it back near where you caught it. im sure you know that, but just makin sure. you have a good chance of catchin a big bass if they are spawning. good luck.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 11:43 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I know I'm getting to be much like bassintom about this, but I'm gonna have to say... a 7.5in red shad culprit worm is my favorite lure for ponds, especially in muddy water.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 07:52 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=MessBoards;num=1112115861;start=0#6 date=03/29/05 at 21:43:49]I know I'm getting to be much like bassintom about this, but I'm gonna have to say... a 7.5in red shad culprit worm is my favorite lure for ponds, especially in muddy water.[/quote]

I believe it's a 4" redsahd Powerworm

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 10:25 PM   #9
hope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hope

Lonnie, where at in Oklahoma? I grew up in Pauls Valley(about 45 minutes south of OKC).
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 10:58 PM   #10
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

How about a Mann's Baby 1- crankbait, and as mentioned above a fluke is hard to beat in small waters as well.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 12:11 AM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Ya what Cullins said and put a Bandit Foot Loose and a Cavitron buzzbait in the tackle box too. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.