Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-05, 10:23 PM   #1
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Fishing with a soldier

Folks, if you ever have a chance to take a group of soldiers out fishing, do it! Â*I had the opportunity to be part of a group of about 50 boats that took 60 or so wounded soldiers and some family members out for a day of fishing. Â*These were all patients who are at Brook Army Medical Center here in San Antonio recovering from their wounds. Â*There were several amputees, burn victims, broken bones, etc. Â*I fished with a guy originally from Arkansas who has just been stationed here and his wife who came down to be with him. Â*I managed to put them on fish, and in addition to having a great time I got a new fishing buddy. Â*All of these young men and women were absolutely floored by the turnout. Â*They kept thanking us for taking them out, and we kept telling them they were the ones that deserved the thanks-they put it on the line to defend the freedom that allows us to fish. Â*They gave rods or rod/reel combos, hats, shirts, and autographed copy of Jay Yelas's biography as prizes. Â* I don't know who had a better time-us or the soldiers. Â*I do know this-I'll be hard pressed to have a better time on the water than I did today.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 10:30 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Fishing with a soldier

sounds like a good day of fishin, great thing you did reb. maybe i will have the chance to fish with a soldier one day.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 03:46 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Thanks for doing that Reb. I hope to get a chance to do it myself. Tell your new friends "Thank You" from me, will you.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 04:27 AM   #4
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Hey Reb, I am glad to hear that the turnout was good and the day went well. I would have sure rather been there than at the baby shower in Dallas, but some things cannot be helped.

Now on to the really important stuff. My wife and I are going to Choke Monday. Where did you find the fish?
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 09:22 AM   #5
Stan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Stan

reb,

well i must say that i am honored to be part of a forum that attracts men such as yourself..i haven't made the trip to iraq yet, nor have i been wounded..but i do have a bunch of friends from basic there, that have been wounded and shipped back...some sadly were drapped in flags...im am sure the guys appreciated it..thank u for your kindess and support...
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 09:54 AM   #6
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i just hope one day i can actually fish with a soldier
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 10:42 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Thanks for the effort and energy Rebasser. Glad to know ya 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 10:50 AM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Rebbasser,I knew that you would help someone if you could.I think it was a great thing you did.Thanks, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 12:43 PM   #9
pond_hopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to pond_hopper

Reb,
I too would like to thank you for showing support for my comrades and after i retire from the Navy this year maybe i can do the same.
pond_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 12:45 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Nitro-chck your IM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 04:15 PM   #11
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

As a few know I my self am a retired soldier of ten years,I was a pathfinder in the special forces here in Canada. I have seen many things Good & Bad, been to many Places Good & Bad. It's good to see people know what we are doing is a good thing for man kind. The last place I was in was a place in Africa called Rawanda now Africa is not a big country but has a lot of tribes who can not stand each other. Anyway while I was there I seen the genicide's, killings ,mass grave, and starvations. And I said to my self time to time how can I as one man help in a place like this? All I had to do is look side to side and see my fellow men and women in arms, from my country and others. And said that's how it's a global effort to stop harm and suffering ,and this is why people love are armed forces soo much is that us as soldiers are willing to give are lives in order to give someone else a shot at one their selfs.

Good one on ya Reb, And as for the rest of ya I know I'm not an American soldier but I would fish with any one of you on any given day, and just be as proud as you to have the same honor of sharing freedom and a mutual respect for one another.

Yours truly Rober Millar.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 12:54 AM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Very good thing there. Would jump at a chance to do that here in Fl. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:55 AM   #13
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Thats awesome Reb! Its with the support of great Americans like yourself, that makes the soldiers jobs alot easier- knowing the folks at home support them. I got alot of support when I came home from Iraq in 1991, and it meant the world to me 8)
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 11:46 AM   #14
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

Where can I sign up to fish with a W.A.C.???

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.