Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-05, 02:40 AM   #1
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner
Default too late for bass spawning in IL?

i cant seem to figure out if the bass here in illinois have spawned already, personally i dont think they have considering that the water temp needs to be in the mid 60's to 70 degree temp range, correct?
finally the weather here has been stable this week (finally in the mid to high 70's) and looks as if its going to stay that way. so hopefully the water starts warming up..
now from the articles ive read, the bass go crazy during spawn hitting just about anything you throw at them, so i guess ive been anticiapting the frenzy, just hasnt happened yet. but now thats its the first week of june it just seems kinda late, but then again im up north so maybe its normal.

now since i bring this up, ive heard about that post spawn blues where the bass just dont wanna hit anything,, how long does this last? a week, 2 weeks a month?, i just hope thats not whats happening now cause i dont feel like ive been catching as many as i should be, but somes better than none ;D
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 03:17 AM   #2
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Re: too late for bass spawning in IL?

there prolly still a ton of bass on the beds up there.........oh yeah, there aren't a ton of bass up there, lol, j/k. Just look for the beds and throw some crawfish out there. IF there on the bed, they'll bite.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 09:05 AM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Jim
yer mixed up..the fish are super finicky during the spawn and will probably only hit a lure to move it out of the bed area, however , what you may be reading is that pre spawn and then after they get their rocks off on post spawn the bite can be really great!
We live east of ya in oHIo and I agree, I think they have spawned, at least the ones I have caught in last 15 days don't show any Â*signs of eggs or red tail from fanning the bed, but as stated earlier, some bass spawn early and some late, in the water temp 65-68,
[glow=red,2,300]dont confuse air temp with whats going on with the water, [/glow]and if its a pond your fishing the water is probably warmer than a lake is..
Good luck, the only way is to keep pluggin away at it~! 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 10:37 AM   #4
Carolina_Chip
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Down here by Springfield, I believe they are spawning now. About a month ago I was catching bass real good, then nothing. It's starting to pick up a little, so I am guessing the spawn is about over down here. I fish Lake Sangchris State Park. I'm just guessing
Old 06-04-05, 12:45 PM   #5
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Probably not done yet. Very good point that it depends on water temp and not air temp.

Our ponds and lakes up here in Maine, due to a lot of rain and low pressure weather in May, are probably still in the 50's. Bass usually don't spawn until right about now, but are delayed because of all that rain.

Personally, I say that if you see a bass on a bed, leave them alone. After all, all they are doing is making more bass for you to catch later.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 01:05 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

yes, you are very confused. during spawn, they wont hit anything, unless they just pick it up to get it off their bed. they are in no way hungry. pre-spawn is the time of the feding freenzy, the females full of eggs will be shallow, looking for both food, and a good nesting area. this is the time to get that 10+ fish. post-spawn is a bit hard for about a few days after the spawn, for females anyway. they go deeper and hold to structure till they get their bearings together so to speak. the males will eat anytime after. the water has to be in the mid to upper 60's and above. and fronts and what not will hold them back if they havnt already nested. now, if you fish for these spawning fish, DO NOT play the fish, get her in as quickly as possible, get the hook out, if shes a BIG fish take a photo, if shes not over 5lbs dont even worry about a photo, then release her back into the water. this should all be done in less then 4 minutes. you have to make a stressless catch. no bullsh!t at this time. also, do not fish the same beds over and over, unless you space it out.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 01:16 PM   #7
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

thanks for correcting me.. im going to have to try and remember where i saw that article that gave me wrong info. > then ill post that link so you all dont think im crazy...lol
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.