Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-05, 03:18 PM   #1

Default question

yesterday i purchased sum jigs and i was wondering if sumone could tell me how to use them. Thanx.
Old 06-02-05, 03:49 PM   #2
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason
Default Re: question

no wrong way to use a jig. bounce um drag um swim um. mostly bounce the blues and blacks and swim the whites, blues and oranges.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 03:53 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

throw them in the nastiest brush, cover, or structure you can find. dontbe afraaid to get it hung up. then, let it sit, and twitch it some. watch your line carefully, sometimes you will only see the line twitch alittle....SET THE HOOK! usually the hit will come on the fall, or while just sitting there. if nothing happens, start to retrieve it and hop it at the same time 20lb or higher test is preffured. i use 20lb powerpro. also, get one with rattles. sems to help out alot.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 10:43 PM   #4
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

what is a tube just wondering???
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 10:49 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

that is a tube. they are hoolow inside. they are a very productive bait.
Old 06-02-05, 10:54 PM   #6
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

r they cheap and do i need to invest in a lot of those just like i need a lot of worms?
Old 06-02-05, 10:56 PM   #7
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

This should give you a good idea of prices.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...OFTBAITS_TUBES
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 11:09 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

they are about the same price as worms. at bps (they have one close to use in orlando) they have a sale going on and have the strike king bleeding bait tube kit onsale for $15 bucks! im gunna be taking advantage of that soon...(damn bait monkey ;D) you will find as you develope into a more experienced angler you will need to invest in alot of things. we like to blame all of this on alittle pest called the ''baitmonkey'' BTW, what setup do you have? (i.e. rod/reel?)
Old 06-03-05, 08:34 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=christopherkeene9 link=board=news;num=1117736337;start=0#5 date=06/02/05 at 21:54:22]r they cheap and do i need to invest in a lot of those just like i need a lot of worms?
[/quote]

We know you're new to the board, so here's a little tip. Up at the top of the page there is a "SEARCH" tab/button. Click on it, and then fill out the info on what you are looking for. You will porbably want to change the date to the last 6 months or longer. And change the # of posts to 50 or so. It will bring up a lot of info if there is any avaible from previous posts. It will save you some anguish beleive me.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:38 AM   #10
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of the help you guys have been!! Im getting there! This site is awesome and I hope will help me improve! Im hoping to try some of this stuff tom. (Saturday)! Hope it works!

Oviedo, Fl
Old 06-03-05, 12:47 PM   #11
juicy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to juicy

Here's an excerpt from my fishing techniques page on my website on the ways I normally fish a jig but there really is no wrong way as long as it's in the water it's great to experiment. The Jig is an awesome fish catching lure that should be in every fishermans tackle box.

My favorite techniques:

I personally fish a jig and pig as a crayfish imitator only therefore I think to myself what the traits of a crayfish are. They crawl on the bottom and burrow under rocks or debris on the bottom of the lake.

When I make a cast I let the bait sink, you must always watch your line, a lot of times they will hit it on the initial fall and your line will either twitch, stop before it should, or start going sideways, when this happens reel up the slack and set the hook. If the bait makes it to the bottom I will wait about 3 or 4 seconds and then drag it about 6-8 inches (Right now he’s just cruising on the bottom), then pause, after 3-4 seconds drag again, and repeat this. Once I feel any obstruction, I pause then shake without dragging, I feel this simulates the crayfish trying to burrow under whatever obstacle it just bumped into. Then I give it 2 quick very short snaps, this would simulate the crayfish fleeing from a predator, then let it hit bottom and repeat the whole process. A lot of times right after the pause when you go to drag again it will feel heavy, set the hook. Hook sets are free, If you haven’t fished a jig a lot , it takes time before you can get a really good handle on determining fish bites from obstructions. Practice makes perfect and when in doubt set the hook.

That's for mostly open water hump style fishing and beating a bank. In cover I like to throw it in the nastiest stuff possible and shake it around then repeat casting to it (pretty much pick it to pieces.)

Don't ever think there is such a thing as to shallow, I use to cast to about a foot off shore till a guy on the back of my boat beat me bad, the fish were in that spot right on the bank, now I cast to were I'm pretty much hitting the shoreline.

Those are just a few of the ways I fish a jig that have been very successful for me. It’s always good to try new techniques whether you use any of the above or create your own, it’s good to experiment.

juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 07:07 PM   #12

do you use a bleeding tube the same way you would a worm?
Old 06-03-05, 07:36 PM   #13
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

[quote author=wc_fb_player75 link=board=news;num=1117736337;start=0#11 date=06/03/05 at 18:07:20]do you use a bleeding tube the same way you would a worm?[/quote]

You can. I mostly use a tube to fish a particular piece of cover rather than as a search bait like a worm. A tube is most effective when it is falling, which is why it is such a popular flipping/pitching bait.

Christopher, you don't need to spend a lot of money getting started. If you get some basic colors like watermelon, watermelon red flake and green pumpkin you will be able to catch fish in most situations. I have a ton of soft plastics-if not literally then pretty close ;D-and use those three colors more than any other color with the exception of a Tiki Stick, where I use watermelon/chartreuse swirl or baby bass/pearl swirl more than any other color.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:32 PM   #14
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Don't over look that there are many types of jigs and the original post just says jigs, not knowing if it was a jig of a tube, a grub or a jig n pig
heres one for a tube 8)

[img] http://www.rockyledge.com/images/design/hometube.jpg [/img]
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 09:58 PM   #15
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

just went onto bass pro's web site and put the strike king bleeding bait tube kit in my wish list. I will be purchasing that along with who knows what else at this point. I wanted to ask if the jigs pictured above are the type I should go with, and what weight or weights
BigDawgz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.