Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-05, 08:45 PM   #1
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishing
Default Looking for a New Reel

Just got $220 for my birthday today and I think I am going to get a new reel. I usually use spinning reels because I normally fish with worms and other light tacke. I also use baitcasters sometimes, but not as often. I have a pretty nice baitcaster(Accurist) so I think I should get a better spinning reel and maybe a new rod too.
gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:49 PM   #2
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010
Default Re: Looking for a New Reel

First, poles indicate north and south. Rods catch fish. $220? You have a lot of options. You want one great setup or 2 good ones? Or maybe one and some extra money? 2 good ones may be a stretch. You are in the right place if you need help spending money. But don't expect to be LESS confused when it is all said and done.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:55 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

heres a great setup(spinning) shimano sahara 4000fb mated with a 6'6'' ugly stik med. action rod....despite what some think, the ugly stiks are actually sensitive, and very strong. if you dont want that....then try the pflueger trion spinning combo.....real good setup for only $60...it has yet to fail me 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:59 PM   #4
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

I was thinkin of one great setup, eventually two but thats definitely out of reach. I like the Symetre and the Stradic and I could get a Stradic w/ a St. Croix rod for $190 and I would still have some cash left. I'm not sure if thats what I want to get though, thats why I asked if anyone has any suggestions. I like most of the Shimano line, and I really like the Stradic MgFA, but its $190 for the reel and I would need a new rod.
Old 06-08-05, 09:06 PM   #5
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are happy with the Accurist, maybe a Quantum KineticKT40PTi and an Airrus ACS662M Medium rod. We can give you options forever. What do YOU want? $220 will get a hell of a rig.
Old 06-08-05, 09:16 PM   #6
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually I would prefer a Shimano. BTW, that Accurist is for sale. It is practically brand new, $100. I want to get the Stradic MgFA but Im not sure if thats too much to spend. I also like the Kistler rods alot and Im pretty sure Im gettin one of those. So, I just wanna know what would be a good reel in the $150-$200 range, or should I get a lower end reel like in the $50-$150 range?
Old 06-08-05, 09:22 PM   #7
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

My thoughts, and they are just that, mine, are that if you spend $75 in today's market, you get a good reel. Can you get a good reel for less, yes. Can you spend more? Of course. But the 75-100 range puts you in pretty good shape. I am of the same opinion for rods. You get too far over 100, and you are wasting money. Just my opinion.
Old 06-08-05, 09:57 PM   #8
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

I think I have a plan now, I am going to get the Stradic MGF for $120 and a Kistler Rod for around the same price. Im not totally sure about the rod yet, but I am sure about the reel. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-08-05, 10:52 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

talk to uncle liz about kistler rods
Old 06-08-05, 11:05 PM   #10
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

pflueger trion round reel with an all star im10x rod.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:08 PM   #11
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Take the last post under advisement. He DOES drive a dodge. Ugh. ;D
Old 06-08-05, 11:10 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

nothin wrong with pflueger...there is somethin wrong with dodge ;D gambler...you could get my rpersonal favorite the zebco 33 on a scooby doo rod ;D sad thing is that is what the next world record bass will come in on :'(
Old 06-08-05, 11:34 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Shimano Sahara wiht a falcon Cara. That is final. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts". ;D
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:37 PM   #14
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

[quote author=Gambler link=board=MessBoards;num=1118274344;start=0#7 date=06/08/05 at 20:57:15]I think I have a plan now, Â*I am going to get the Stradic MGF for $120 and a Kistler Rod for around the same price. Im not totally sure about the rod yet, but I am sure about the reel. Thanks for all of your help.[/quote]

Go for it.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:55 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Shimano's are notorious for being pricey, but go ahead and buy what you want. I think you should take your time and decide to make a purchase after you have looked at a alot of different rod and reels. That is a serious chunk of change to throw down on something you may not like after you fish it a while. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 12:49 AM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

shimano sahara-$60
Old 06-10-05, 06:36 AM   #17
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

02, A Sahara ? You guys need the Stella The price is $499.99 - $529.99 each. ;D P N J
Old 06-10-05, 08:57 AM   #18
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

If you want a Kistler, which is fine, then buy go here http://www.roguerods.com These folks made the Kistler LTA blanks for years, and make a good rod, for less money. I really am not trying to give Kistler a bad name many folks swear by them, but I had a bad experience with the first rod I bought from them. So I choose not to buy any more. I do have 2 of the Rogue rods, and have been happy with them, I'm just really Partial to St Croix, and G Loomis. You can buy a good St Croix rod and Shimano reel for the money you are spending, and still have some left over. My advice is similiar to PNJ, buy what YOU like, and like the feel of. Don't spend a bunch of money on something you aren't sure about. Some folks can afford more exspensive stuff, and alsoCHOOSE to spend it on those items. But in no way does a Shimano Calais, and a St Croix Legend make you a better angler than the Accurist, and Allstar do. So until you can comfortably spend lots of money, and you choose to spend lots of money, buy middle of the road type stuff, and then buy some tackle too ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 03:21 PM   #19
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I would get a Shimano Sahara with an All-Star rod.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 03:45 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya right PNJ ;D saharas are great reels...aint nobody in their right mind payin $500 for a reel i'll stick to the $60 sahara.
Old 06-10-05, 08:12 PM   #21
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

02, I don't know about being in their right mind, but they are selling those reels more often than you would believe.Maybe in 5 years we can pick them up in a dollar general store some where. ;D P N J
Old 06-13-05, 02:43 PM   #22
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I went to Gander Mtn. Saturday and got a St. Croix Premier for my Accurist and a Shimano Clarus, I am going to get the Shimano Sahara next week, because my brother has the rest of my money. I took my new poles out yesterday and my Dad and I both caught 5.
Old 06-13-05, 07:13 PM   #23
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I've got a Stradic on an All-Star rod. Great combo. Very sensitive. That was a cost of appx. $200, 3 yrs ago.
The Stradic 2000 and 2500 are great medium action reels. Not too big, not too small.
In the event that you get a Stradic, you won't regret the move. They look good and they are dependable.
Since I have some of these of course thats my personal opinion.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 12:43 AM   #24
goombass

I just got this rig this year and I love it. I only use spinning gear I bought a 6'6" med action fenwick eagle GT and put a plfuger trion on it and this is the best spining gear I have ever used The fish dont know how much you paid for it The rod was 59$ and the reel was 39$ both from cabelas take the old lady out with the change

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.